Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Levels for cages

lil_beanie

Cavy Slave
i currently have a large one level cage that measures approx 2' x 4' x 22'' (that's very rough). The cage's base is about 6" high, which makes it great that its just high enough for the pigs to look out over, but not jump out of when the top is of, though they have been known to manage an escape. lol I was wondering though if i could somehow build another level to put inside as a ledge for more hay and so they can really get more exercise in running. the bars are fairly largely spaced and aren't quite a grid. I will try to show some poor images of the cage and maybe if anyone knew where I could get supplies or even buy a good ramp that would be great. I'm in the Toronto area.
IMG00060.jpg

IMG00059.jpg

wheeek

Cavy Slave
Would a small plastic stool work?

Grids and coroplast cages are much easier to make second levels with, and are much bigger. Maybe you should make one!

Your pig is really cute!

Toadies

Cavy Slave
If you are close to a lumber store, you can probably find small pieces of hard wood, like poplar or ash (hard, dry, untreated and low/no resins/odor) for a reasonable cost and then cut to fit across the cage, on the top lip of your pan. You will need to punch or drill a couple of holes at the ends to tie the platform to the wire, so that it doesn't fall on one of your piggies. I had a similar arrangement before I built a C&C cage. You can make a ramp out of the same wood, just put something on it for traction. I might suggest some fabric or window screen around the end, on the outside, where you plan to put their hay. It will be MUCH neater. If there is any way to do a C&C cage, your piggies would just go bonkers!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.