Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Couple cage questions

Drawingwords

Cavy Slave
So, now that I have 4 pigs I am in the midst of designing and building a bigger cage for them. I do have a couple questions before I begin though.

Question 1- Why do people always build 2x _? I was thinking of making a 3x5 which would be the same amount of space right? I would like to go wider and not too long.

Question 2- People with hay lofts...how do you clean the fleece out underneath? Do you take the loft off? This is such a silly question but I was thinking of how the heck am I going to get the fleece out. Right now, I have an overhang (2 grids on top with a towel hung over) and I'm using connectors so I can open it up to take the litter out. Would this be the same set up if I put a hay loft on top?

I have more questions but I can't think of them right now! Heh. I have been getting a lot of wonderful ideas and I hope that this size cage will be sufficient for 4 pigs. I can't go any bigger than that. The boys will be in a seperate 2x4 cage in the kitchen. ;)
Thanks!

Piper

Cavy Slave
Not 100% sure on this but if I remember correctly the standard 4x8 coroplast sheet isn't wide enough to do more then a 2 grid width cage so it's just easier to go longer since 1 sheet of coro can make upto a 2x6 cage bottom. It's probly not much more difficult to go wider you would just need more then one sheet and have to join them together, not sure what would be best to use my first thought would be duct tape tho cause what can't duct tape fix lol.

I haven't ventured into the lofts and multi-levels yet so no idea on that one.

Drawingwords

Cavy Slave
On the main page it says coroplast comes in 4 foot by 8 foot sheets. 3 cubes shouldn't be more than 4 feet! I have to do some math crunching here!

Piper

Cavy Slave
You gotta remember the width that gets eaten up when you make the walls, at 6 inches each that takes up a foot right off the bat.

RainKindle

Cavy Slave
The 3 grid deep would be wonderful if you can do it because it gives your guinea's more square footage. I just feel like I can't reach the other side, and the fleece fits well for me in the 2 deep dimension as well.
With the coroplast that is 4 feet, you would only have a three inch side in front and back if it helps.
When I have an additional female, I will want higher than that if they spray urine.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
It's really just preference. Personally I prefer 2x(whatever) because it's easier to reach into and across the cage. That extra grid to make it a 3x(whatever) makes it harder to catch the pigs and clean the cage especially if you have the cage on a table and can't climb into it or kneel to reach across easier.

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
Don't forget you can overlap grids if you use cable ties - my cage is 2.5 grids wide.
You could always put the grids together first as a trial run and see how you feel about the width. If you can't reach the back of a 3 grid cage, try 2.5, or stick with 2.

Drawingwords

Cavy Slave
You all have really good advice! I'm really excited now to build a totaly pimped out pad for my girls! The boys get stuck with the plain ol' boring 2x4. >:eek:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.