Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

The back to school sickies and my cavy.

theresaj

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I'll probably be asleep soon as I have codeine in my system. I had 2 colds since start of school (back to school time seems when a lot of us get sick :yuck: ) and I've come down with bacterial bronchitis and my cavy is in my room but I leave the window open for air circulation. I'm kinda behind on his cage cleaning as I'm not feeling well, and lack energy to do so. I do however force myself up to make sure he has food and water and I wash my hands before and after filling his food, changing water. I'm a bit worried cause could I pass my infection to him even if I'm not snuggling on him at all? I know that not eating and lethargy, runny nose, etc are big red flags but anything else I should look for to be sure I haven't passed a respiratory infection to him?

Last edited:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Yes you can pass it to him if it's indeed bacterial. Can you have someone else take care of him while you are sick? If not then take precautions such as wearing a face mask over your nose and mouth while feeding him and continue to wash your hands both before and after feeding/refilling water/hay, etc.

RainKindle

Cavy Slave
Are you on antibiotics for your bronchitis? What kind, and when did you start taking it? Depending on what the doctor prescribed you, you will not be infectious after being dosed for a couple of days. You should do a thorough disinfection of everything near the vicinity of your guinea, and be extra watchful that he didn't catch it. I never thought of the face-mask idea that Ly suggested, but it is better to have a broken wallet than a broken heart. Feel better theresaj!

theresaj

Cavy Slave
I went to the doc today and I was prescribed Azithromycin. :) I plan to take it exactly as directed and in doing so I should improve.

PigurLuvr

Cavy Slave
That's what my doc gave me too! Although, it did nothing for me and it turned into pneumonia :( After the 3rd. dose is taken and you aren't improving, I'd go back. Hope you get better soon!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.