PDA

View Full Version : Water Bottle Issue

Slave to the Rose
09-02-08, 01:44 pm
Over the 8 months I've had the girls they have run through 6 water bottles. They always manage to do SOMETHING to do the water bottles to cause it to drip non stop. What are they doing and how can I stop it? All the water bottle start out working and normally stop working withing a couple weeks to a couple months. :weepy:

AnimalHouse36
09-02-08, 01:57 pm
Hmm, I don't seem to have any experience in this. If you can put up with the water dripping then you could put a spounge under it in like a little bowl or something to absorb it. However there are many threads on here about simliar situation as yours. Also, what do they seem to do to the water bottles? Good luck!

Janelle
09-02-08, 02:01 pm
I've heard of people putting a brick underneath to absorb the dripping water.

RainKindle
09-02-08, 03:46 pm
I put a flagstone under my bottle on the right, and a brick under the bottle on the left.
Maple loves the flagstone because it has more room to perch.
The flagstone has a dual purpose.
When the water drips onto it, the drips air dry and don't get the bedding/fleece wet.
Also, it acts like a gentle nail file. (You would still want to do regular nail clipping.)
I don't worry about my bottles dripping, because if they do, who cares?
I did have a water bottle that had a spring to hold the ball at the end in place. I was always worried about harboring bacteria no matter how thorough I was in cleaning.

auburnmare5
09-02-08, 05:00 pm
I put a few ceramic tiles under it , this keeps the shavings from getting very wet.

banjosnotbombs
09-02-08, 05:17 pm
I use a Critter Canteen, and I've never had any issues with it. Every time before I refill it I run the spout under hot water and run water through the spout.
Sometimes guinea pigs will take be eating, take a drink, and get food inside the spout. My girls do this all the time, I think they find playing with the water bottle amusing. I think that I've read this is most commonly what makes bottles leak.
I always make sure the bottle is filled to the brim before I screw on the lid, turn it upside down, and give the bottle a bit of a squeeze while pressing in the ball, to get the air out. I keep it upside down while carrying it back to the cage.
Another water bottle brand I like is Oasis. My hamster uses an Oasis water bottle, and his works great.

samoews
09-02-08, 10:18 pm
Over the 8 months I've had the girls they have run through 6 water bottles. They always manage to do SOMETHING to do the water bottles to cause it to drip non stop. What are they doing and how can I stop it? All the water bottle start out working and normally stop working withing a couple weeks to a couple months. :weepy:

Believe me when I tell you that we have bought every bottle known to man, and they all dripped, except the last one we bought...the Water Buddy by Edstrom. Absolutely fantastic and NO DRIPPING. Leave one of your other bottles in until you are sure your piggies have caught the hang of using the Water Buddy (it has a unique tip that requires the GP's to move a little lever with their tongues)...mine caught on right away. They're a little more expensive, but to no longer have to mess with bricks, sponges, and sopping wet bedding makes it well worth the price!

Slave to the Rose
09-03-08, 12:42 pm
What is going on is that the water bottle is next to the food. They get a couple mouth fulls of food and then take a drink. No matter what I do I can't unclog the tiny particals that I believe are causing a problem (I can't ever see them) I put tiles and such under it but by the end of the week it is soaked and so are the towels and bedding underneath. I will look into the water buddy though thanks for the idea

banjosnotbombs
09-03-08, 02:52 pm
I'm pretty sure that bricks, tiles and whatever you use to soak up the water under the water bottle needs to be changed daily.

akstrohm
09-03-08, 08:30 pm
I second the recommendation for the Water Buddy bottles. Also, they don't suck anything back into the bottle, so the water stays clean.

auburnmare5
09-05-08, 02:26 pm
The Farnam 32 oz. rabbit bottle is really good. It rarely leaks, the only time it does is when Coco travels with us, but not as much as other bottles I have had.

Slave to the Rose
09-05-08, 11:36 pm
Wonderful thanks for all the help! I will look into it. Do any stores sell it or am I destined to pay shipping :D