Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sudden change

G

germboy1987

Sudden change

My 1 and a half month old sow is actually very active and pop corns every now and then. She adapts well in our environment and never sleeps in the corner for very long periods. But after a week or so, she started sleeping for an unusually long time and seldom move around and never pop corn like usual. I check on her but did not see any sign or illness like drooling, uneven breathing etc. I've noticed that she has loose weight over this few days. So, is she ill or is this a weird behavior???
Thanks for reading.

J

janiexo

ill

she sounds ill, losing weigt when she is that young and should be gaining and sleeping a lot are bad signs. Is she sneezing more often? anyway best thing to do would be to take her to the vet. good luck.

G

germboy1987

Re: ill

My parents say that visiting a vet is very costly so I decided to put her in a special cage to quarantine her. After observing her for 3 days, I noticed that when she sleeps, she held up her legs so as not to make it touch the ground. She is eating and drinking as normal now except that she doesn't move much. I think that she has a fractured leg. How to treat a pig with a fractured leg??? What shall I do???

B

Briana D

Go to the vet! A vet may be costly but you took on the responsibility of owning a guinea pig so now you must take care if it.

G

germboy1987

I know, but my parents won't let me. Would you please tell me what to do when a pig had a fractured leg??? Thanks.

Attachments

IMG_9625.jpg IMG_9630.jpg IMG_9633.jpg IMG_9642.jpg IMG_9651.jpg
B

Briana D

I don't know what to do because I would take them to the vet. I don't even know if it is safe to splint it yourself. You may want to email Teresa. Hopefully when you grow up you will be more responsible when you are able to make these choices yourself.

I can't believe your parents won't take an injured animal to the vet. Surely if you had a fractured leg you would go to the hospital, right? It is no different with animals.

A

AngelicumCavy

Not to insult or to be rude, but I think this somes very odd. I pay for my own vet bills, my dog undergone an emergency ceasarian, I pay for it, and if evr I don't have, I'm 100% sure either my mom or my dad will pay for it. You can't do anything by yourslef, just about ANYTHING. Only qualified cavy vets will solve the problem. If that's severe and you let the cavy heal himself for more than a week, probably it will die--OPINION

From the point you aquire that pet, you must already have aquired other things that comes along in having another LIVING THING under your roof. Thats means EVERYTHING from money to real knowledge of that cavy.

S

sarahluvsginnis

Re: guinea poop

We have two new guinea pigs (Twix and Roxi) that we've only had for three days. They are doing very well and are very sweet but I have a question about poop.

We were told to watch to see what corner they would go to the most and to put a poop area there. We bought one of those triangular shaped potty pans and scooped up some of their poop and put it in the pan so they would smell their poop and we put the pan in the corner that they seemed to prefer. Well, we find tremendous amounts of poop only in their little house that they cuddle in and sleep in. They aren't even using the pan or any other corner. I tried moving the house and putting the triangle tray where the house used to be, but now they just poop in the new location of the house. Is it normal to be pooping where they sleep and how sanitary can that be?

Thanks for the help.

Sarah

Attachments

Picture 019.jpg Picture 025.jpg

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: guinea poop

Totally normal. Who said they want to be sanitary? Just keep that area cleaned out more regularly. Vast majority of the times, the litter pans are a waste of money.

A

angelpro

Re: Sudden change

:) To Sarah,
Our guinea pigs are over 2 years old...and we have seen them do lots of strange things. Our Vet says it is normal for them to "do their business" where they sleep/lay. But if that grosses you out, have you seen them eat their "poop"? They also do that as a normal behavior as their excrement is nutritious for them. YUK!!!!

And TO GERMBOY, it is sad that your parents will not take your sick pig to the vet. We have spent $1000.00 on just one of our pigs and cringe every time we take her in that the next expense will be too much and we will have to put her to sleep. We treat them just as if they were human...maybe better!!!!

Attachments

piggies.jpg
J

janiexo

i don't understand

so if ur parents wont pay for it, pay for it urself. when you got the piggie who was supposed to pay for vet visits? now if you didn't think of this before hand, that's irresponsible. and also understand that there is a big chance the pig will die if untreated! help your pig, make a sacrifice if you have to, take her to the vet ASAP!

L

luvmyanimals

You all are horrible!

Well, honestly, I think we should hand out advice to this young person, not make then feel worse about a situation we know nothing about.
*Germboy--If I were you , I would first try to talk with your parents about yout pet. I do not know what kind of relationship you have with them, but you should speak up about this.
Your piggy does rely on you to take care of her. You need to let your folks know that she needs to see a vet ASAP. And that ignoring your pets needs is not teaching you to be a responsible pet owner.
Next, I would call every vet in your area including hospitals and see if anyone will donate their time or give a less expensive diagnosis. They ARE out there, so don't give up.
You could also make an arrangment with your folks that you could do chores for allowance or get a paper route to make payments to the vet or pay your parents back. It never hurts to ask and you should be pushy. Your piggy needs you and needs to be seen by a vet, make them aware of that!
If they still will not budge, maybe you should find a home for her/him with someone who can take it to the vet. Or ask a relative to.
It sounds like you love her and want to give her the care she needs, but cannot. If you didn't care for her--you would not be here pleading for help. Sorry you received some rude posts. Some people do not put themselves in the sitation before they type.
Maybe when you get older and can pay your own way--you can get another one to love.
Good luck.
Sincerely, Theresa

Attachments

Photo0119.jpg George.jpg George2.jpg Photo0118 (2).jpg playtime.jpg playtime2.jpg Picture0194.jpg Picture0198.jpg Picture0199.jpg
B

Briana D

Re: You all are horrible!

Theresa - Germboy first posted about this pig 2/23/2003. Today has been five days since his pig has had a possible leg fracture. He has said very bluntly that his parents will not take the pig to the vet because of the cost. Many people have told him to keep asking and his answer is that they say no. If I was Germboy I would have nagged my parents to the point that they would take the pig to the vet the same day that I had suspicions something was wrong. Five days later and this pig still hasn't gotten any help.
There is nothing we can do to get the pig to the vet and Germboy doesn't seem to be pushing his parents to change their mind. If the pig doesn't see the vet his leg will probably heal but there is no way to know if it will set correctly. Keep in mind this is IF a leg fracture is the problem.
"You all are horrible!" - Really? We tell him to seek medical attention for his pig and he refuses because of his parents. We're the horrible ones.

Germboy - I agree that you should tell your parents that their actions in no way are teaching you to be a responsible pet owner. I hope you pig gets the medical attention it needs.

Attachments

Roxy2.jpg Roxy4.jpg
A

angelpro

Re: WE ARE NOT HORRIBLE, JUST RESPONSIBLE

Many parents and kids think that those animals look so cute in the cages at the pet store...look how long people have been buying bunnies and chicks at Easter!!! But, they think that "oh well, if it gets sick, we'll just let it die and buy another one tomorrow". It sounds to me that may be the case with Germboy and his parents. If we were horrible as you called us, we would not being suggesting he take it to the vet and get care for it. Nor would we be begging him to beg his parents to reconsider. I don't see where that makes us HORRIBLE. You may luvyuranimals, but what about other people's animals?

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: WE ARE NOT HORRIBLE, JUST RESPONSIBLE

If I may add my 2 cents, you <strong>DO NOT</strong> buy a pet and then expect your parents or even siblings to pay for the vet bills when your pets need checkups during their lifetime. You can <strong>NOT</strong> make any excuses to not get that poor piggy to the vet!

If you and your parents aren't financially fit to pay for the expenses of having a pet, then you best take your piggy to a local rescue or shelter.

Because you are pretty much ignoring your pet since you don't seem determined to get the piggy the help it desperately needs.

Shame on you and your parents. :lol:

Attachments

IMG_0538.jpg 317274_100490223369019_100002241241698_3082_1642234874_n.jpg IMG_1896.jpg IMG_0480.jpg IMG_0061.jpg 316201_165495110201863_100002241241698_346133_670881481_n.jpg 378522_2528873223094_1291353179_32890401_1401620881_n.jpg 198824_100490216702353_100002241241698_3080_3814215_n.jpg
L

luvmyanimals

Hey JMHO!

I could go on and on but can see by all the other post in this forum that its would be no use. There are always people who think they know everything and have no compassion. I think that he was responsible enough to go looking for help elsewhere like this forum and you all just beat him down with insults.
Yes, it is a good thing to be responsible with your animals, but it also a good thing to be compassionate with people too--not just animals. He didnt have to come here looking for help..he could have just watched his animal suffer. But he didnt , he made a choice to do something about it.
If you have a problem with people who buy animals and don't take care of them, you will have along road of heartache ahead of you if you take it so personally everytime.
At least Germboy asked you for suggestions. And was not willing to just ignore the situation himself-alone. Which is what you have made him. Handling it alone. No one here offered up any suggestion--just pratically yelled at him for coming here for help.
And as a matter of fact--I am a HUGE animal rights activist. You dont know me and how dare you judge me and ask me a question like that. And its LuvMYanimals
I had to turn my own neighbors & friends into the SPCA and local law inforcement because they were starving thier animals to death. Try living next to them now. But at least the animals were saved. There are many things in my past as far as saving animals and the list is too long to post here and actually none of your business--so before you go around offending people for NO REASON..think about it. I WAS offended by what you said to that young man, I cannot imagine how he felt when he turned to knowledgable people on this forum and was scorned for trying to do something when his own parents wouldnt listen. No compassion, no suggestion, just everyone telling him what a horrible person he is for having a pet and not being able to take it to the vet when it gets sick.
Grow up. Or leave that little bubble you are living in thinking everything is going to go your way or the way YOU think things should be. Not everyone is in a situation that you want them to be in. And you shouldnt judge people. Who do you think you are?

L

luvmyanimals

One more thing

I also wanted to add that I had many, many animals when I was younger and my folks loved me enough to make sure that my animals had all the proper care they needed. Including veterinary care. So please do not say that when you are young, you should not be able to rely on your parents to pay for your animals supplies or vet bills because that is not the case for everyone. Maybe you, but not everyone. I had horses, dogs, hamsters and anything else I could bring in the house and my parents supported everything about it and never ignored me when any of my animals needed care.
So do not say that if you are too young to work or pay your way you cannot have a pet or pets--thats not fair.

B

Briana D

Re: One more thing

You're right. I have no compassion for someone who won't take a potential fatally injured animal to the vet. I'm glad he went looking for help and he did get it. We all told him to go to the vet. No one here is qualified to give advice to a child about what to do with a fractured guinea pig leg.

The only advice he is going to get it to take the pig to a vet because that is the only reasonable and logical advice. He responds he can't take it and of course animal lovers are going to react. Being such a big animal rights activist I would think you'd have the same reaction.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>If you have a problem with people who buy animals and don't take care of them, you will have along road of heartache ahead of you if you take it so personally everytime.

Very true. I think an injured animal that is refused medical advice would cause heartache to a lot of people.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Or leave that little bubble you are living in thinking everything is going to go your way or the way YOU think things should be.

We just want him to take the pig to the vet. It has nothing to do with having things our way - it's the right thing to do.

Good job on turning your neighbors in - they got a second chance. You should be proud.

I'm glad you got to have the experience of owning animals when you were younger with the support of your parents. Obviously that is not the case here.

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: One more thing

Thank you Briana :)

luvmyanimals, stop trying to make excuses for him. Sure, anyone can get on the computer and talk about their problems, but until you actually <strong>DO</strong> something to resolve the matter(which in this case is to take the piggy to a vet), you have done nothing at all. Compassion and doing the right thing are two totally different subjects. YES, everyone should have respect for one another and show compassion, but we wouldn't be nice if we ignored this situation and didn't tell him what being responsible for pet ownership actually means.

Enuf said!

A

AngelicumCavy

Okay, yes, he goes to this forum to get opinions, Oh gosh but I have to say that: Forum isn't the only way to know what to do, I won't trust the life of my pet in a forum. And also I think we advise him what to do didn't we?

Luvmyanimals, in reading this literature I think we can obviously decide who needs help. We just advise him to go to the vet for his cavy, wrong or not? NOT. but he insist of not doing so

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.