Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello

bertro

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and I have been lurking around here for a few days. I purchased a young male cavy for my seven year old daughter for her B-Day. I bought a 18" x 30" cage and read more here and thought it would be like me living in my bathroom. So I returned before constuction. I read alot about the C&C cages but I decided to use wire shelving sections to make a 6' x 3' x16" tall rectangle checked at 1" x 5" with a coraplas bottom with 5" returns up the sides. Is this ok or is there a reason everyone uses the connectors and the smaller squares for the pens. Thanks Robert

banjosnotbombs

Cavy Slave
Now, I'm not the greatest at measurements, but I'm pretty sure the measurements you listed sound fine.
The reason we use the grids is mostly for convenience. Some people prefer to use other materials. You can connect the shelving using cable ties.
Goodluck with everything!

bertro

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the reply, I have since bought the sibling another male. They seem to get along well as they have their own houses and 18 square feet to play. I can see bedding is going to be a problem hopefully I can figure out this fleece thing. Robert

charlie23

Cavy Slave
We use the grids because they have smaller holes and the guineas cant get stuck. I hope your cage sides dont have holes they can get there heads stuck in if it hasnt then it should be fab for your guinea pigs. Good luck

bertro

Cavy Slave
I purchased they next morning after the first and there was not any changes in the family. I hope Their ok. I did read about that though. Thanks for the concern.

bertro

Cavy Slave
I tried to edit and post pics but my time ran out. here is what I have.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Wow! That looks amazing! I'm glad you changed out. I would highly suggest fleece. I have fleece with a small kitchen area where I put their foods and litter, ect. ect. Did you buy both guinea pigs? Are you sure they're both males? They are often missexed at pet stores. PIGtures welcome!

wheekypigs

Cavy Slave
what a well-constructed and excellent-looking cage, well done! I'm sure your piggies will be very happy with the space they're getting :)

charlie23

Cavy Slave
Are you sure they're both males? They are often missexed at pet stores. PIGtures welcome![/quote]
I was going to ask that aswell i brought two girls but one was male and i ended up with a baby but it can be upto 10 in a litter that is a fantastic cage what lucky little piggies

bertro

Cavy Slave
Thank you again for the replys, I have double and triple checked on the sex. I read up and checked again myself a couple of more times. My Lord I hope I am right as I am not qualified for them to bear youngsters. I will be adding some elevated runways and such when time prevails. They were about a week weened when I bought them. I only wanted one and then read here that they were infact pretty social animals and went the next morning and purchased his sibling.It seems that all of the talking they do I hope they are happy. I think I get more enjoyment than the children from them.

charlie23

Cavy Slave
Gps having babies is easy if all goes well as they do it all there shelfs normally. As yours a very young a week weaned i take it you mean between four and eight weeks old so they are very hard to sex when that little try applying slight pressure above there genitils and seeing if anything pops out if it pops out its male if not its female. I wish you the best of luck with you pigs

bertro

Cavy Slave
Yes it pops out but if I am wrong, (I did just have to get reading glasses)Being siblings, In the event they do bear young will there be genetic problems. Now I am really shook up. Robert

charlie23

Cavy Slave
My two that had a baby were brother and sister no problems as such just the fact they are inbred. And just to scare you a little bit more certian ones shouldnt be bred as they produce leathals which are very poorly babies that die. Im not sure on when this occurs but im sure someone will tell you if they both had penis' pop out you should be fine a female normal has a Yshape and a male is an i shape. If you unsure take some pigtures of there parts and post them some people on here are really good at sexing

banjosnotbombs

Cavy Slave
Wow, that is an impressive cage. Great job!
If you're unsure of their sex, the best thing you can do is take them to a cavy savvy vet. They'll tell you for sure.
The forum really can't accurately sex your guinea pig, a vet can. There are so many complications that could happen with pregnancy and birth, and even with over population, that being 100% on the sex is really important.
This is a good sexing guide, if you want to check it out. https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.