Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Just getting around to this.

makemesmile

Cavy Slave
My name is Angela and I've made a few posts already. I have two male piggies that I adopted from a shelter nearby. I adopted Hilton about 2 years ago and Paris almost 1 year ago. I have a pretty good knowledge on dogs, but when it comes to pigs, I know nothing or close to nothing, that's why I'm glad I found this website.

Hilton is the first, and the brattiest:

When I got him he was in poor shape. Really thin, had bubble feet, not sure of the correct term, but when their feet are all pink/raw/blistered. I'm sure that the person before me had him in a cage with a metal wire bottom. Also his nails were REALLY long. They're still long but I trim them about once a week trying to get them shorter, but the length of his nails caused for some of his little toes to curve. He walks fine and has always been very vocal and happy. He's awesome and has no fear--he loves my cat! He kisses him and follows him talking, it's so cute.

Paris is the second, and still very very shy:

When I went to the shelter to get Hilton a friend, I picked Paris because he was sitting on top of his pigloo, rather than hiding in it like all the other pigs. I wanted to take them all home because I felt bad, but my boyfriend said "just one". So I chose Paris. I took him out and held him and it was love at first cute piggy noise! I took him home and he lived separated from Hilton until they started getting along. Paris likes his mom and only his mom and sometimes he doesn't really like me. I wish I knew his past so I could know why he is so much more reserved than Hilton. Hopefully with some more time he'll be just ask crazy as Hilton. Paris popcorns a lot when he runs, and it's funny because it's like he doesn't know why he did it. He'll be running, popcorn, than stop and look like he's asking himself "what just happened?". Tooo cute!

My pigs live together in perfect harmony, except for the occasional tiff, in their small cage. I am looking into building them a large C&C cage where I'm sure they'll be even more happy. I had no idea that my cage was so small, I actually thought it was a large cage for a guinea pig. I feel like an idiot. I'm glad I stumbled on here. I thought that I was giving my pigs everything they needed but after looking on this site, I was wrong and naive. But one learns. I hope to get to know you all well in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

RainKindle

Cavy Slave
welcome! cute story, I'm glad that you are building a bigger cage for them.

banjosnotbombs

Cavy Slave
Welcome the forums! I'm sure you're going to find a lot of wonderful care advice.
We all have to start somewhere. I didn't know that how I was caring for my guinea pigs was wrong until I found this website. It made me feel bad for a long time, but I changed my ways and now my piggies live a life of luxury, hehe :).
I want to direct you to another great guinea pig website. It has a lot of information on basic care, and medical care and will be really useful. https://www.guinealynx.info

makemesmile

Cavy Slave
Welcome the forums! I'm sure you're going to find a lot of wonderful care advice.
We all have to start somewhere. I didn't know that how I was caring for my guinea pigs was wrong until I found this website. It made me feel bad for a long time, but I changed my ways and now my piggies live a life of luxury, hehe :).
I want to direct you to another great guinea pig website. It has a lot of information on basic care, and medical care and will be really useful. https://www.guinealynx.info

Thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.