Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Brands Oxbow hay cubes vs. Kaytee hay cubes

shamrockmommy

Cavy Slave
You may remember that I have some wicked allergies to timothy hay. So I've switched to orchard grass which is a TON better for me. I don't sneeze and can breathe now.

Anyway I did get some kaytee timothy cubes which are large and quite hard. The hay is chopped up very small. The pigs nibble on them a bit but are not crazy about them.

SO I ordered 2.5lbs of the Oxbow timothy hay cubes and they are so different! They are much smaller around, maybe 1"x1" or so. They are not rock hard and the pieces of hay are not teeny tiny, but actually munchable. The pigs went crazy when I opened the bag and they got a whiff. Now they ignore the kaytee ones and chow down the timothy cubes even though they have a rack of orchard grass.

THese will be handy for travel (we're moving in January) and as treats. Anyone else try them?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Hay cubes work as treats but they are not a suitable replacement for regular loose hay.

shamrockmommy

Cavy Slave
Yes, I know. I said I was using the orchard grass as an alternative hay (which my boys love btw) and got the timothy cubes, since they love timothy hay, to use as a treat.

I find the oxbow timothy cubes are much better quality than the much bigger/harder kaytee timothy cubes.

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
I haven't tried Oxbow ones specifically, but as a treat/toy my girls will get a typical hay cube sometimes. They do enjoy nibbling them quite a bit, and they keep them busy for a little while. They do always have plenty of green, loose hay.

PIGGYMAMMA495

Cavy Slave
Yes, I tried the TImothy Oxbow ones, and they do rock. I used them when I was sick for a day and couldnt get up to the farm to get a new bale. I keep them on hand for a occasional treat as well. They enjoy nibbling on them, and it gives them something different once in a while. As stated above never substitute that for loose hay, but deffiantly you can use it for a treat. Your piggies are lucky. IM glad your not allergic to the orchard grass and that the pigges love it. I have another brand that I tried of the cubes once. It only had 2 in a pack. And I used it when we traveled for 3 hours in my moms new car(she said get theese cube things, so you dont get hay all over my new car). She picked them up, and they went bonkers. It was actually like long pieces of timothy shaped into a hollow square but it was huge. It was really neat-o. I'll send you the info via email. Its helpful sometimes to use the cubes if your in a bind or run out of hay for a day or a few hours.
Good LUCK.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Loose hay is vital to pigs. Hay cubes are hay , but do not keep their teeth down. Loose hay does.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Hmm, I might just have to try them. But I don't seem to understand what they are. COuld someone post a link to them? ALso, how often can you feed them and how much are they?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Hmm, I might just have to try them. But I don't seem to understand what they are. COuld someone post a link to them? ALso, how often can you feed them and how much are they?
These in my opinion are a total waste of money. They are just small cubes of hay that were compressed down from loose hay. Most pigs aren't even very interested in them.

shamrockmommy

Cavy Slave
They are on oxbow.com website. My pigs get them as a treat along with their orchard grass. (I'm allergic to timothy hay- I can handle it being in the house a lot better as cubes)

If I give them fresh hay and the cubes, they'll work on the cubes first and then go to the fresh hay... But yes, I agree loose hay is very important for teeth...

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
I bought a bag of alfalfa and timothy hay cubes a while ago (probably about 2 months ago) and my boys go crazy for them! I have not known one guinea pig (out of about 28-ish) not like them. IMO they are not a waste of money and do help keep they're teeth down (depending on the brand anyway). My boys also like throwing them about the cage and seeing how small it has to be before it will go through the mesh (lovel quiet game...not!) of the cage aswell. And apple cubes are a big hit but don't last as long. If kept in a dry, shaded place the cubes will last about 6 months so great if you run out of loose hay and can't get any more. One thing to be carefull of though is some brands (super pet once did the same but have since stopped :D ) use binders like honey to keep them together.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.