Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Deaf piggy

lalitalotus

Cavy Slave
Hi again,
I posted earlier about my lovely adopted pig Daisy. She's a very sedate girl, who seems to be pregnant (judging from the twitches in her growing belly.)
I asked about her calm behavior, and some people suggested she may be a lethal, which she's not. However, while investigating this I discovered that she is, in fact, deaf.
I was just wondering if there is anyone on this forum with experience with deaf piggies. Are there any problems I should watch out for? So far the only problem I've run into is not scaring her when I'm approaching her, which I've solved by always making sure she's seen me before I try to pick her up/pet her. But I'm worried about her pregnancy. Do deaf guinea pigs make good moms? Will she reject the babies because she can't hear them? Any tips would be appreciated.
-Thanks

AnimalFarm2006

Cavy Slave
Hello,
I would watch your guinea pig realy well, and start prepairing for anything that might happen before she's even close to being due.

Unless i am late, and she already had the babies?

clotho

Cavy Slave
I have never had a deaf piggie who was pregnant, but I know that deaf piggies get along just fine usually. They use their other senses to make up for the hearing loss.

I would imagine that all her mothering instincts will be just fine. The babies will come running to her and she will nurse them I'm sure. Guinea pig babies are born fully furred and ready to run. They will eat solid foods within a day or two of being born. They are not helpless little babies that the mom has to hear and go tend to - they will run after her and hound her for milk.

You might want to read up on guinealynx about handfeeding young pups just in case: Guinea Lynx :: Hand Feeding

If you don't already have one, you should get yourself a good digital kitchen scale and weigh Daisy to make sure she is gaining weight. Then, once the babies are born, weigh the babies and Daisy daily to make sure they are doing well. The babies may lose a slight amount at first, but should very quickly start to gain and continue to gain. That is how you will know the babies are doing ok and getting enough to eat - they will be gaining weight.

One of the best things you can do is make sure you find a good vet who knows guinea pigs very well. Know where you should go in an emergency (especially after hours) so you will be prepared just in case. Hopefully nothing will go wrong, but it's always best to be prepared.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.