Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How do I know where the kwick is?

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
I started cutting Coco's nails, and I only clipped what looked like about half of it. I was to afraid of cutting the kwick. What are some methods I can use to see the kwick when I am cutting the nails.

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
If you put the clippers to the nails then go to clip (but dont acutally clip) just kinda squeeze the nail with the clippers twice (unless he flinches first time) then if he flinches you can be pretty sure it is going to hit the kwik.

Hope this helps!

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
If his nails are white, the quick will be visible as the pink line. If they're dark, shining a flash light under them sometimes helps. Just cut a bit off if you're unsure. Half of his nail is a lot unless they are really overgrown.

Nev, many pigs will squeak just because they don't like having their nails trimmed. Plus if they squirm, you could still end up cutting the nails too far.

If you do end up hitting the quick, dip the nail in flour or cornstarch, or buy quick-stop or a styptic pencil.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.