Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Boar's constant screaming at night is keeping me awake!

Laurenashley85

Cavy Slave
I love my pigs, I really do. But I just can't stand sleeping in the same room with them anymore They live together in a 2x6 bottom 2x4 upper cage. There is plenty of room for them to get away from each other, since they don't really get along too well. There's no balls of fur or anything, they just can't stand each other. My younger boar is the problem as he's constantly pestering my older one. But my problem isn't with him anymore, although I guess he could be considered the main culprit still.

My older guy's obnoxious screaming during the night is the problem. I don't know what it is, but if my younger boar even so much as goes over and sniffs him, he freaks out and starts screaming. If my other boar walks in the same direction as him, he screams. Tries to eat out of the same bowl, he screams. It's so loud that it keeps me up all night. i've gotten no more than 3 hours of sleep for the past two weeks and I'm going insane. Ear plugs don't work. NOTHING works.

Why is my older boar so stand offish? Is it because he feels threatened by my younger boar? I admit that my younger boar is constantly chasing him and rumblestrutting/humping. It doesn't seem like he gets much peace. Is he tired of this? I mean, my younger guy doesn't hurt him. Sometimes he just wants to go over and sniff him and my old guy freaks out. I just think sometimes if he lets my other guy hump him and get it over with then he'll stop, but now he just tends to nip at him when he gets too close to comfort. What should I do about this? I can't move them to another part of the house and the loud screaming is driving me NUTS!

Should I separate them during the night? Should I separate them permanently (i really don't think that's a good idea since they're not causing physical abuse to one another but I'm not an expert so I have no idea). Does this screaming sound worse than it really is? Ugh!!

Edit: I just want to add that my younger boar has always been the dominant one, since he was a baby. He's extremely mean sometimes. I had to keep them seperated for two years because he was impossible to live with. He's gotten a bit better now but is still way too dominant for his own good. I guess I can chalk this all up to clashing personalities (really he doesn't get along with any other pigs, but at least he doesn't cause physical harm to this particular one). He even waits his turn at the water bottle now. But he still pesters him all night long and I don't know if it's my older guy just being too touchy or my younger one being a complete and utter nuisance. Maybe a little bit of both?

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
I had a pig once who would scream like she was being tortured whenever she was eating pellets and another pig came over to eat "her" pellets.

Laurenashley85

Cavy Slave
I had a pig once who would scream like she was being tortured whenever she was eating pellets and another pig came over to eat "her" pellets.

He does this too. Really though, I think it's because whenever he's at one of the bowls, my younger boar thinks it's a good idea to hump or chase him. So when he's instead just coming over to eat with him, my old guy starts screaming thinking he's going to chase him when really all he wants to do is sit next to him and eat.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
Do you have two of everything? Sometimes boars are a bit...selfish and need their own food bowl, their own pigloo, their own water bottle. Thankfully my boys aren't like that, but maybe yours are?

Maybe you could put a grid divider up at night? That way you aren't physically "separating" them, which could cause them to fight the next morning when put back together. Nor are you separating them indefinitely.

Offtopic // Salana, I think you just have a sixth sense when it comes to picking pigs with character! lol

Laurenashley85

Cavy Slave
Do you have two of everything? Sometimes boars are a bit...selfish and need their own food bowl, their own pigloo, their own water bottle. Thankfully my boys aren't like that, but maybe yours are?

Maybe you could put a grid divider up at night? That way you aren't physically "separating" them, which could cause them to fight the next morning when put back together. Nor are you separating them indefinitely.

Offtopic // Salana, I think you just have a sixth sense when it comes to picking pigs with character! lol

Yes, they have two of everything..pigloos, cuddle cups, food bowls, hay racks, even 3 water bottles. They're good in that department. Right now they're lying next to each other sleeping. I mean, they're not exactly next to one another, but they're close enough. So sometimes they get along and sometimes they don't, which is typical for any pigs. Of course when my younger one decides he wants to lay down next to my older guy, he causes a fuss because he thinks he's going to get chased/humped but really all my little one wants to do is lay with him. Sometimes he's a holy terror and other times all he wants to do is relax next to him. And I suppose when you've been such a nuisance for so long, it's hard to convince you're housemate that you want to be nice for a change so I'm assuming that's why my old guy gets so uppity whenever he's around him..which is often.

I actually wanted to avoid dividing them again because that's how they were for a few years and they'd always fight when they were put back together. Also, they'd constantly bite the divider or push through it until they were back with each other again. I found it odd since they acted like they couldn't stand the sight of each other, yet they fought to be together. Tough love, eh?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.