Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Advice about baytril please!

pritti_hippie

Cavy Slave
Hi, I took Percy to the vets the other day because I thought he may have a URI (He sneezes a lot and had some slight crust on eyes and nose). The vet couldn't hear anything wrong in his chest or see any infected mucous but wanted to put him on 0.2 ml of baytril twice a day. Anyway, three days in and he has started to get sloppy poo and I am worried this might progress to diarreah. I didn't give him the meds this morning and am going to have to bath him in a minute. Is sloppy poo a sign of progressive diarreah or is this normal?

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
I believe, but am not positive, that Baytril is a very strong drug and may upset a pigs tummies. I would recommend looking up "Baytril" at the GuineaLynx forum.

pritti_hippie

Cavy Slave
thanks for the reply

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Fortunately my pigs have never had this reaction to Baytril, but the many times my dog's been on Baytril, it's upset her stomach, so I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that the Baytril could cause squishy poo in pigs.

The best thing to do is probably going to be to call the vet who gave you the medicine - describe the symptoms and tell them your concerns.

pritti_hippie

Cavy Slave
I rang the vet this morning and she has asked me to stop giving the meds. I assume she must think he'll be fine without them since she hasn't told me to replace them with any other antibiotic. She did say originally that she would prescribe them just in case as I'd noticed crusty nose and eyes but his chest was fine

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.