Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Paralyzed Guine Pig..Please Help!

jsangelgurl219

Cavy Slave
On Saturday night I noticed my piggie was dragging her back legs and not using them at all. It seems like she is paralyzed from the middle of her back down. She wasn't dropped or handled wrong....I don't have any kids my fiance didn't drop her. Could she have jumped wrong in her cage and hurt herself doing this? I'm taking her to my vet this morning because no animal emergency center does anything with pigs around here. Please email me if you have heard of anything like this?? I'm having to help her go to the bathroom...please email me at [email protected] if you might be able to help....this piggy was a gift for my b-day and I love her to pieces...

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
Wow, I hope she'll be alright. If this were to happen to my girl, I know I'd be in a total panic. I hope everything turns out alright. Perhaps you could try to move her toes. If she moves them back to where they're supposed to be, she might be alright. Perhaps she broke her bones or something. I'm obviously no expert vet or anything. I'm sure one of the more experienced guinea pig owners here will be able to help you out more. I just hope she'll be alright.

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
I sent you an e-mail.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I'd get an x ray.

It may be scurvy, arthritis or an injury.

jsangelgurl219

Cavy Slave
I took her to the vet today. My vet gave her a calcium shot and said to see how she is doing in the next 5-7 days. And to give her some cottage cheese,yogurt, and oranges. If she is not doing any better my vet said the best thing would be to send her to piggy heaven. This is killing me...I hope she gets better. Thanks for the email I showed it to my vet and she said lets wait it out and see if she responds to the calcium shot....otherwise it's not uncommon for young pigs to get prosterior paralysis....just kind of happens with no warning....I'm praying she'll be ok

Angelgal
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are unable to eat dairy products. Also, like rabbitsncavyluv said, you should get an x-ray. Maybe this vet isn't the best vet in your area. If your vet will not do an x-ray, I'd go to a different vet. If she says to have her put down, I'd get a second opinion, first.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You need to find a better vet.

socal805

Cavy Slave
Ditto what cavyluv just said-get a better vet and do not feed that pig yougurt or cottage cheese.

jsangelgurl219

Cavy Slave
Sadly my little Chloe passed on to guinea pig heaven this morning before I left for work....I'm heartbroken...this was my first piggy and she was such a doll....it seems like I can still hear her making her cute noises every time I open my closet door(where her food bag was kept). I'll eventually get another one....not for awhile tho

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
Wow. I am SO SORRY to hear that! :'(

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry. :( You tried Hun.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.