Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is there a limit to floor time?

Michellec

Cavy Slave
We just built a neat pen for our new pigs to have some safe floor time in.

We used the wire cubes and put a "Neat Sheet" on the rug. It's a water-resistant picnic type sheet. Not plastic, though.

Is there such a thing as too much floor time?

Thanks,

M

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Probably not! How much floor time are you thinking of giving them?

Michellec

Cavy Slave
Don't know. I'm home during the day a lot, so I can put them out probably for up to 3-4 hours a day total. An hour or so at a time.

Maybe you know this...when do they sleep? At night (was that a dumb question?) I just don't want to be yanking them out of their cage during the day if they want to be sleeping, you know?

KellyMichelle

Cavy Slave
It might depend on their sleeping pattern already...my pig was up all night and slept perediocally through the day, so he was out mostly in the late evening, almost midnight sometime. Someone told me once that they a nocturnal like hamsters, but i think that they could easily adapt to a different schedule, and no two guinea pigs would sleep alike. you could just watch and see whn they sleep, and take them out around that. But if you're home during the day, then they probably will be up in the day just to play with you : )

~~Kelly

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
I don't think they're nocturnal. They're awake during the day & they're awake at night. Inbetween they'll take naps. The longest I've had mine sleep in one go are a couple of hours.

I usually give floortime around noon & there's never been a complaint :)

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Yes, they sleep throughtout the day and night. I sometimes wake up in the night and I can hear them munching on hay.

KellyMichelle

Cavy Slave
Yeah, i didn't know if they really were or not, but i had heard it from someone once, and it just sounded right because of Tony's (weird) sleeping schedule. if they seem happy with the schedule you are on now, then i wouldn't change it.

I guess like people, all pigs are different!

o0Ms Jenny0o

Cavy Slave
Some people have free range piggies (no cage, just a room of their own) and so that would be like floor time 24/7, as long as you have water and food and hay and a place to snuggle for them then I'd say there is no limit!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.