Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Warning - My Piggie got stuck in grid cage!!

pigmenagerie

Cavy Slave
Last night my poor little piggie got his head stuck in the grid. They are not larger, or anything, than the recommended size. I don't know if he was trying to run from another pig or got scared or what but all of a sudden I hear these terrible shrieks coming from their toilet area, which is under the second floor and hard to see. I throw the second floor off and he's stuck down there, his poor little body is frantic trying to get his head out. I grabbed his body and calmed him down and tried to get his head out. I couldn't but he managed to. Anyway...he's fine, I took him to the vet and he's okay but my point is, be careful of these grids, they can get stuck in them.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Thank goodness everything is okay. How old is the pig that got stuck?

sammy_kaye

Cavy Slave
If I was you I would make my sides higher like a baby proofed cage. That way it won't happen again. Lucky you were home when it happened and you could help him. I am glad he is ok.

My two boys are 2 months old and my lowest side is 21cm (don't know what that is in inches sorry) They can reach the squares by putting their feet up but if they are running there is no way they could get stuck.

pigmenagerie

Cavy Slave
My piggie that had this happen is the oldest of my 4 boars. He is 5 months old.

I don't know what you mean by sides?? Oh you mean sides of the choroplast. I don't have choroplast in all areas of the cage but that is a good point.

sammy_kaye

Cavy Slave
Sorry I should have said. The sides of your coroplast. If you have a looking in the baby proofing section you will see some other ideas too. You will see what I mean if you look at my cage in my gallery.

I would think that you will need to baby proof until your youngest pig is about 12 months. So if it was your eldest pig and he is only 5 months I would be worried about any of your pigs getting stuck. I would imagine he has some more growing to do.

Good luck with solving the problem.

Last edited:

pigmenagerie

Cavy Slave
Thank you. Since he is the eldest, I guess I need to baby proof. I have been looking at youtube videos to get ideas for cages. I will redo their cage. Thanks so much.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.