Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lucy got bit last night

blackrose

Cavy Slave
Stupid, stupid me. I had the pigs out for some floor time (gated off in the "pet wing" of my room) and I also had my ferrets running loose. Both of the ferts were off sleeping somewhere so I thought I'd have time to run downstairs and fix up the pigs' veggies without anything to worry about. As I was coming back upstairs I hear Lucy start to very shrilly wheek. I didn't realize something was wrong until I walked into my room. The wheek didn't sound right and when I glanced into the petwing I saw the paper bag I had set down in it for the pigs to hide in was frantically shaking. I thought Lucy had gotten stuck and I went over to help her out and then I saw a fuzzy ferret tail poke out of the bag. I dumped the bag out and Dameon, my male fert, had ahold of Lucy's neck and was not letting go. Long story short, I ended up carrying Dameon and Lucy both into the bathroom where I ran some water onto Dameon so he'd let go.

Lucy is shaken up, but isn't hurt severely, thank God. She has a slight bite mark on her neck that bleed just a little bit. Since I've been a victim of Dameon's bulldog bites before, it could have been a LOT worse.

Lucy's ate a little of her veggies last night and drank a little (no where near what she normally eats and drinks). I have the pigs down for some floor time right now (with the ferrets securely up in their cage) and she's running around some, but not like she normally does.
She's not hurt anymore than the small bite mark on her neck, so I didn't know if I should be worried about shock or anything? How long should I expect her to be under the weather before I should start getting concerned? I'm going to keep an eye on her bite to make sure it doesn't become infected, so hopefully it won't even be a problem.

Needless to say, ferrets are now not EVER going to be out when pigs have their floor time.

theresaj

Cavy Slave
Oh, your poor Lucy! :( I hope anyone else that has Ferrets and piggies will see this post and NOT let them both out to play together! Ferrets are a rodent predator, which includes piggies. So anyone else should be careful! Is Lucy okay now?

blackrose

Cavy Slave
Last night she was still a bit under the weather, but this morning when I got up and went to give them some fresh hay she came running over to the cage bars wanting pet. So I think she's good now. She ate all of her veggies last night too.

When I had my ferrets and pigs out they were always seperated with a gate (that the ferret's can climb), but I was always right there to discourage any gate-climbing activity and if the ferrets continued to pester the gate I'd put them back up. It was just one of those things were you think it will be okay and it wasn't...my other fert, Casey, actually ran the other way with her tail all poofed up. She didn't like the ruckus Dameon was making, bless her little heart. If I had had both the ferrets going after Lucy or both of the pigs, that would have been very, very bad.

And for anybody reading this who may happen to have a ferret....if one ever bites you or something else and won't let go (they are tenacious little buggers) scruff them so they can't work their head around and then either spray bitter apple spray directly into their mouths or dunk them under running water. Either way will make the ferret spit out whatever it is latched on to.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
Eeek! How terrible. I'm sure Lucy was just a little traumatized after all the craziness the night before. Just keep and eye on her food and water in take, and make sure her cut heals properly to avoid infection. Good luck with the critters! Hopefully other ferret & GP owners will read this and learning something.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.