PDA

View Full Version : HAWK, drops guinea pig in someone's yard

CavySpirit
12-27-04, 12:21 pm
This is the HIGHLY suburbanized area of San Jose/Silicon Valley.

Just got a phone call from a woman who needs to find a home for this guinea pig.

Apparently as they were looking outdoors, a hawk flew down into their yard, landed on something, and accidentally dropped a white guinea pig from its talons. The guinea pig managed to skitter away into the bushes. The people ran out and managed to capture the guinea pig and piss off the hawk. They have a neighbor who is a vet. There were a couple of puncture wounds, but otherwise apparently fine.

This is why, no matter where you live, you don't leave guinea pigs unattended outdoors unless you've got extremely good protection from predators. Crows are also predator birds.

Poohbear
01-01-05, 09:36 am
that is horrible I hope the cavy gets better

citronsoul
01-02-05, 11:04 am
I saw this on Lynx.

I must say that that was one lucky guinea pig! And incredibly cute too!!!

mncavylover
01-02-05, 09:01 pm
That's horrible! But it's good that someone cared for the poor thing.

ILovePiggies
01-08-05, 12:03 am
~Im quite off topic here lol but are there still wild guinea pigs?

crittermom
01-08-05, 02:40 pm
Since having to take down my bird feeders due to a number of hawk attacks, I'm always mindful of the dangers to prey animals in the backyard. Having heard of this in advance, I followed recommendations to situate the feeders near brushy cover areas....to little avail for the birds. I have witnessed Sharp-shinned and Cooper's Hawks attack small birds, and these predators are lightning-fast. It even happened once when I was actually in the yard, so please be aware that your guineas aren't guaranteed to be safe outdoors even under your direct observation.

cavylover
01-12-05, 11:13 am
Please keep us posted on how the pigs doing.

piggielover
01-15-05, 09:05 pm
o, thats so sad. i hope that he or she is okay, and finds a safe, indoor, loving home.

ChadWPB
01-19-05, 04:08 pm
Piggielover, I believe Teresa herself is keeping him. He is now housed with three other boars that seem to be quite find of the little fellow. Teresa posted a pic of the living quarters, it's a C&C that opens up into a large free range space.

In short, little Lucky has hit the jackpot.

smileyface cavy
03-09-05, 09:56 am
~Im quite off topic here lol but are there still wild guinea pigs?

I think so

ILovePiggies
03-20-05, 09:23 pm
~Ooooo are there really! I think thatd be awesome to see a wild guinea pig where ever they live?!! Mind you, you probably wouldn't see one because they run away, cute =)

mncavylover
03-22-05, 07:34 pm
There aren't actually, sorry to burst your bubble. :) Sadly, they don't exist in the "real" world.

*Piglets-Angel*
03-22-05, 07:36 pm
AWwwWww man...that would be sooo cool if they did, Lol..

rabbitsncavyluv
04-01-05, 10:34 am
There are sometimes. People dump them in parks or other places, like a nearby college, and they form like colonies underground, but they get picked off by predators and the weather.

bunnyluv17
04-01-05, 05:08 pm
There are still wild guinea pigs, but they live in South America.

coolman
04-01-05, 05:27 pm
WELL HEAR THIS!
My mum and dad had some guins a couple of years ago, one day they were playing in the yard you know what guins do! And then my dad herd something in the bushes (the guins were in outdoor floortime pen) a cat just in a blink of an eye! took one of the guins. Got over the fence before dad could of done something to save it. On the fence was red pore marks the guin you could here wheeking in pain from a mile away! From that day I never leave my guin outside. When ever I see a cat in our backyard I get my bb gun and shoot it in the head.

It might sound cruel! But people shouldn't leave there cat's outside.

mom to cujo
04-01-05, 06:16 pm
WELL HEAR THIS!
My mum and dad had some guins a couple of years ago, one day they were playing in the yard you know what guins do! And then my dad herd something in the bushes (the guins were in outdoor floortime pen) a cat just in a blink of an eye! took one of the guins. Got over the fence before dad could of done something to save it. On the fence was red pore marks the guin you could here wheeking in pain from a mile away! From that day I never leave my guin outside. When ever I see a cat in our backyard I get my bb gun and shoot it in the head.

What exactly is wrong with you?

Piglet
04-02-05, 04:39 am
Did I just read that correctly? You shoot the cat in it's head. Holy cow, and what you're only 13? I have always thought there are still wild guinea pigs, just not here (UK, North America).

CuteFluffyThing
04-30-05, 01:22 am
Long live belguim , no gp-eating birds here. Viva la free run!

VoodooJoint
04-30-05, 10:18 am
Long live belguim , no gp-eating birds here. Viva la free run!

I already placed a list of some of the predatory birds in Belgium in another thread. Belgium and Europe have lots of predatory birds.

Rachy1412
04-30-05, 11:07 am
WELL HEAR THIS!

That is sick.. Its not the cats fault and its not the owners fault. If you leave your pig un-attended outside you deal with the conquences. People may disagree but I do not believe that cats should be shut up indoors for all their life.

laura220
04-30-05, 11:51 am
Cats are much safer inside not only from dogs, coyotes and cars but from diesese and illness.

That is wrong that you shoot cats. Isn't that illeagal? And what if they're family pets? What if they had no intention whatsoever of eating or carrying away your pigs?

Where is that white piggy on Guinea Lynx?

Rachy1412
04-30-05, 12:08 pm
I do agree that in certain areas that it is a MUST to keep cats indoors.. but not here.

animallover
06-18-05, 01:26 pm
What a poor piggie. I'm glad it's okay. This is one of the reasons why I don't like birds to much. (no offence to anyone who likes birds)

CuteFluffyThing
06-18-05, 01:28 pm
I already placed a list of some of the predatory birds in Belgium in another thread. Belgium and Europe have lots of predatory birds.
predator in belguim
-falcon
-others
where they live: Wallonie , not Vlaanderen. The baddest bird here is a pidgeon for christs sake

VoodooJoint
06-18-05, 01:43 pm
CuteFluffyThing
The attitude is unneccesary. The language you just used is borderline.

More and more predatory birds are moving into the cities due to the loss of their natural habitat. You can make sure your GPs are protected from predators or you can ignore their needs and be responsible if something happens.

There is no validaton for leaving pets vulnerable to predators.

SugarSpice
06-18-05, 02:57 pm
There are guinea pigs in the wild . One of my co workers is from peru , she tells me that they live in the mountains there ,and thet she sees some every summer when she goes home for holidays , I told her when she goes this summer to get a picture that I could post on here . I hope she gets one .But i think it would be so diffucult because they are so fast.

Cool22
06-18-05, 06:18 pm
Was the pig named cream puff is the white one on cavy spirts adoptable page? heres the link http://cavyspirit.com/adoptables.htm

citronsoul
06-19-05, 09:26 am
I'd also like to throw in, there's no way I'd keep my guinea pigs outside at the moment. It's 30 degrees C. How are your pigs coping CuteFluffyThing? Do they have a cool spot?

littlebear
07-07-05, 03:43 pm
Wow I hope the cavy gets better. I never leave my cavys outsite with out me watching them.

The Magic Taco
07-08-05, 05:43 pm
My cat's too old to care about the guinea pigs. But Kitty is a crazy little cat. He sometimes sits next to the cage, the silly thing.

glitterbug121
07-09-05, 10:29 am
Have any of you herd of lids, put a top on your outside run, it solves everything

Master_stghm
07-28-05, 12:23 am
What are you talking about "language was borderline" ? I don't get it?

But shooting cats with bb guns is just mean. I don't think cats should be kept inside either, except if they live in an urban environment. But with houses and yards I believe is okay because cats like to explore. The only cat that got sick was the one we kept inside all the time. but why am I talking about cats?

CattOfTheGarage
08-03-05, 10:13 am
I agree with the lids thing, I've always made covered runs for pigs when they're grazing, because of cats, let alone hawks! I never even considered leaving them in an open enclosure.

Cavykid14
08-24-05, 09:52 pm
Wow that is the most immature thing you could do, Even though the cat nabbed your pig you shouldn't result to violence, try to capture the cat and call the humane society. Hopefully they will send it to kitty heaven in a non lethal way.

ILovePiggies
08-24-05, 09:59 pm
There aren't actually, sorry to burst your bubble. :) Sadly, they don't exist in the "real" world.

:eye-poppi *My bubble burst* :sad: Oh well at least they haven't died out!!!! But I really do wish they did!!

ILovePiggies
08-24-05, 10:05 pm
There are still wild guinea pigs, but they live in South America.

~Darn it if only I lived there!
~And about the cats, I think cats should be aloud outside , just like piggies need floor time, cats need time to roam around and 'hang loose' :b.
~ps. sorry about the 2 posts.

Funnygpigs
08-24-05, 10:13 pm
Ilovepiggies, I found this info for you:
"Commonly known as the cavy, or guinea pig. The cavy is believed to be extinct in the wild. The wild population of guinea pigs are believed to be a strain of a feral population of formerly domesticated guinea pigs. A close relative of the cavy, the apurea, is found in South America at altitudes up to 13,000 feet. It is likely that the original wild cavies were found at those same altitudes. In South America, feral cavies inhabit rocky areas, savannas, forest edges, and swamps from Columbia and Venezuela southward to Brazil and northern Argentina."
http://casmaran.com/skinnypigsWild.htm

The Magic Taco
08-25-05, 12:07 am
Damn, my project is due next week! Well, next time I do an oral on Guinea pigs, tell me that site, funngpigs!

ILovePiggies
08-25-05, 12:48 pm
Ilovepiggies, I found this info for you:

^.^ THANKS so much!!! =D :3 *.* Thats so interesting about the wild piggers!!!But it says ""Alfalfa is their most basic staple food"" But i feed my gp's timothy hay.... should i be switching here?? Or is straight alfalfa what they mean?? :confused: im really confused now!

not to mention i read this written by pennick

""""Re: The new hay?

Timothy hay is for piggies over approx. 8 months, alfalfa is for piggies under 8 months. If you have 2 piggies one young and one old then you can use half and half."""

CuteFluffyThing
08-26-05, 12:51 am
Due to my opinions on outdoor runs i know i am disliked by many but my area is not (yet)populated by predators

ILovePiggies
08-26-05, 12:41 pm
Due to my opinions on outdoor runs i know i am disliked by many but my area is not (yet)populated by predators

~Aw what do you mean you're disliked by many?!! You're not disliked your cool! I think you're cool! :cool: :b

The Magic Taco
08-26-05, 06:07 pm
Hey, Cutefluffything, where do you live? Because in Australia, guinea pigs are more outdoor pets as someone said (it may have been this thread or another).

StasiaJ26
09-02-05, 10:40 pm
Did I just read that correctly? You shoot the cat in it's head. Holy cow, and what you're only 13? I have always thought there are still wild guinea pigs, just not here (UK, North America).

In my area (Michigan, US) this is perfectly legal. Infact if an animal wild or domestic harms our herd (I breed piggies & rabbits) we can shoot them and sue the owner for the replacement costs of the animals, property destroyed and any money we lost. So far I've been lucky.~Stasia

mom to cujo
09-03-05, 05:00 am
No, actually your animals have been lucky. What good would come out of shooting the offending animal and sueing it's owner? YOUR animal(s) would still have been injured or killed and suffered a terrifying experience. So you can sue and collect money from the attacker's owner? No matter what you gained in a lawsuit, it couldn't repair the damage done. And it couldn't replace your animal.

StasiaJ26
09-03-05, 10:49 am
No, actually your animals have been lucky. What good would come out of shooting the offending animal and sueing it's owner? YOUR animal(s) would still have been injured or killed and suffered a terrifying experience. So you can sue and collect money from the attacker's owner? No matter what you gained in a lawsuit, it couldn't repair the damage done. And it couldn't replace your animal.

I could only see sueing if you have a large-scale such as a dairy farmer. In my barn & house we have a small herd and get attached.

weaseldropping
09-10-05, 09:19 am
Keeping cats inside, without a medical necessity, is just cruel.
They are natural predators, and kill because that is what they do.
We keep "prey" as pets, and it is our responsibility to keep them safe from predators. This does not need to mean "kill all cats". I have a cat. He kills things. Sometimes he eats them, sometimes he doesn't. That is what cats do. I make sure that he NEVER has a chance at my pigs, and he makes sure my cages are cat proof.

I cannot believe that someone lets a child so young have a weapon of any sort, let alone lets them kill animals. Is this the way things are going to be?

Am too incensed to write more.

piggiepigs
09-14-05, 10:27 am
I too think it is mean for keeping cats inside. Shortly after my boyfriend moved in with me his cat got knocked over. It was very sad but we know he had a good time being free before hand.

Back onto the subject of a hawk dropping a guinea pig into someones garden. How scary is that!? Im not sure if we have any massive birds in england but I keep an eye on my piggies as I wouldnt want cats getting to them! x

weaseldropping
09-14-05, 10:58 am
Watch out, Piggiespigs, there's kestrels about!
My husband found a decapitated pigeon in our back garden, and had a right go at the cat about it. The cat sat there, looking all injured innocence as my husband bunged the body over the hedge onto some wasteland. The cat them went absolutely ballistic when he saw a full-grown kestrel land in the middle of the lawn, and proceed to march up and down saying "I know I left it here somewhere..." She hung aroung for about 20 mins, rooting around in the flower beds, and the cat going mad on our side of the patio doors didn't seem to bother her at all. In the end she gave it up as a bad job... but if the pigs had not had a very sturdy run with a roof it could have been very different.

Sabriel
09-14-05, 11:34 am
I have indoor cats and they are quite happy. I don't have to worry about them getting run over or hurt by a dog. Both my cats have always been indoor cats. They sleep, eat, groom each other and hunt fleece scraps, yarn, toys and the occasional bug that gets in our house.

weaseldropping
09-14-05, 11:43 am
A lot depends on the cat. Our last moggie, Henry, had been badly beaten and would only go out if he was on a lead, or if he was carried like a baby. Charlie, however, lives on the wild side and has learnt that if he wants to go out and I think it is too late/snowy/wet/silly he just has to stick his canines into my achilles tendon and he often gets put out straight away. Nice cat!

Sabriel
09-14-05, 12:01 pm
My little kitty has a wild side too. We just give her lots of toys and a 5' cat scratch to tear apart. She spends a lot of time running up and down it. Especially if the top is occupied. She knows if she bugs Shampoo, my big kitty enough, she'll leave, and then she can sleep at the top and swat at our faces when we walk by. She also uses it as a boarding area for my husband's shoulder. Or she'll jut climb up him like a tree.

weaseldropping
09-14-05, 12:09 pm
We know Charlie hates being an indoor cat - he had to have an eye op two years ago and had to be kept in for three weeks whilst it healed - we had to put him into the cattery in the end because no-one was getting any sleep. He just sat in front of the front door and howled and wailed non-stop for two days and three nights. He had a "lampshade" on his head and was very wobbly with the medication, but he wanted to be outside, and NOW!!!!! He is nearly 10 now, and is slowing down a bit, but still brings home something mangled most days. I never put out wild bird food - it is just a cheap way of feeding the cat.

Anyone know what the round glistening bit of a thush's insides is? About 1 cm across and sort of pink... he always leaves that bit for me to pour boiling water on to cook it first. We are very well trained cat-owners!

Sabriel
09-14-05, 01:13 pm
I think it's best to make them housecats from the start. I agree that it would be cruel to bring him in the house all the time now, but every cat I get will be a housecat. I couldn't imagine Shampoo the Slow and Large doing to well outdoors.

weaseldropping
09-14-05, 01:34 pm
I think you are are right - if they are going be indoor cats it's best to either start with kittens so they know no different.

True the ideals of this forum, all ours have been adopted cats, and you kind of get what you're given with them! Charlie is a real tomcat (despite having the op at an early age) and flips from being a big fluffy loveball to a savage killing machine in a split second. Thanks to reading a whole library section on cat behaviour I can tell what he's thinking most of the time, but prior to that I lost the full use of both little fingers - one accidental when I misread his mood, and the other a deliberate attack on me when he had the stitches out from the eye op. He made a terrible mess of my hand with his teeth! He did try to lick it better when he realised what he'd done, but that didn't help very much. I think that if I coul dhave driven the car that day, he'd have been straight to the RSPCA Shelter! Our vet saw me two days later and couldn't believe we kep him! It was two weeks before I could hold the steering wheel and it will never fully straighten again.

That's cats for you - can't live with them, can't live without them! He is the only one who could tell when my son was going to have a seizure, and twice warned us sufficiently far in advance that we could head the fit off at the pass and save an ambulance journey. I guess that's why we still have him!

Sabriel
09-14-05, 01:41 pm
I adopted Shampoo as well, but I had to sign a contract to keep her an indoor cat. She was two when we adopted her.

Shampoo is a worry wort and very fussy. She gave herself a hernia when they spayed her. (or so says the medical history booklet I got with er)

weaseldropping
09-14-05, 01:47 pm
Yuck!!

I noticed at the sheter when we collected Flash and Jonny that several of the cats were indoor-onlies.
I must admit it would save a lot of vet's bills, and in Charlie's case we could have avoided recarpeting the whole of the landing and stairs - an abcess burst and we just could not get the green stains and the smell out. It was disgusting, and left a 4" hole in his chest. Every other time we have spotted the abcess before it burst and got him to the vets before it was a problem, but this was in his chest and along his belly - about a pint in all - and no-one goes near his belly!!!

Cavykid14
09-14-05, 03:14 pm
In my area (Michigan, US) this is perfectly legal. Infact if an animal wild or domestic harms our herd (I breed piggies & rabbits) we can shoot them and sue the owner for the replacement costs of the animals, property destroyed and any money we lost. So far I've been lucky.~Stasia

Really?!?!, I live in Novi (North east of Detroit) and I was waiting for these racoons to come up to our garbage and destroy and tip over our trash cans (Its been doing it for about 6-7 months and we get our trash all over our property so we had to put an end to it)with my .22 caliber (Didn't want to use a b.b gun, to painful and inhumane) and after I had taken it down I looked into the police laws and they said your firearms/weapons will be confiscated if you are caught using a gun outside of hunting season.

Rachy1412
09-14-05, 03:19 pm
So shooting it with a caliber is ok but not a b.b gun? Shooting anything AT ALL is cruel and inhumane no matter what the reason.

happie gurl
09-14-05, 05:32 pm
WELL HEAR THIS!

What the heck is wrong with you coolman?!?!:yikes: My cat roams outdoors, and I think there is nothing wrong with that! It would be understandable if you tryed to shoot the cat that ate your guinea pig in the head(even though thats still wrong). But shooing inccent cats...man, what is your problem?! Nature is nature, and there is nothing we can do about it. Its called the "circle of life". But I'll tell you one thing, your very lucky not to be reported for animal abuse! If I knew who you were...urgh I'd report you myself!:mad:

Ive never had to post a post like this to someone on here. I enjoy this forum very much, and I hope I never have to post somthing like this again.
And for you, "coolman" I dont appreciate hearing about your abuse to animals on this forum.

x0PiggyPerson0x
09-14-05, 07:41 pm
Seriously coolman, that is really wrong. Put yourself in the owner's shoes. Say for some reason guinea pigs decided to switch around the food chain and they were predators and cats were prey. If one of your own, innocent mind you, wandered into a yard where people had cats and they pulled out a bb gun and shot it how would you feel?? Your pig had done nothing wrong yet it got wounded because it wanted to wander around a little.

GuineaPigs4Life
10-07-05, 06:18 am
once a cat was eye balling my pig, and I thought the cat was going to try to get my pig. I got up and tried to scar the cat away. It worked. :)

Fab_Cavy
12-02-05, 11:52 am
I think the entire indoor/outdoor debate with cats is about the same as with guinea pigs, except at least guinea pig owners' pets are contained so they are less likely to spread disease, get hit by a car, or injure or kill another animal.

I have 3 cats. One was an "outdoor" cat who was filthy, covered in ticks, and nearly starved to death when the rescue got a hold of him. He is quite happy in here now. He will never get feline luekemia or FIV, tortured by some sicko, or hit by a car. He will never get in a fight with a neighbor's cat or a dog, kill someone's small pet, poop in our neighbor's garden, or kill the local wildlife.

The few times my cats have been out (supervised on harness) they were usually quite anxious to get back inside. If they wanted to be out, we'd find ways to have them there undersupervision like building a cat kennel. However, they are very happy and entertained in here. They have windows, the TV, lots of toys and a few nice cat trees and scratchers. They also play a lot with each other and our dogs. They are not neurotic or fat like the stereotypes. They are active, healthy and happy.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not totally against people keeping their cats outdoors, but I've seen very few cases where it's good for neighborly relations, local wildlife, and the cats themselves.

Cavykid
01-28-06, 10:42 pm
~Ooooo are there really! I think thatd be awesome to see a wild guinea pig where ever they live?!! Mind you, you probably wouldn't see one because they run away, cute =)

Still off topic but I belive they are in South America or Ireland, i think they are because they eat them there. Sad how some one could eat something so cute.:sad:

Cavykid
01-28-06, 10:51 pm
WELL HEAR THIS!

Sounds cruel?It is cruel. I have two cats who have to live outdoors because they can not be litter trained, and yes sadly they have caught birds(Which I am not happy about!) but they're cats!Cats were big in Egypt because they hunted rodents.Its in there nature and you shouldn't try to cripple or kill them for that.How would you like it if your mum shot you in the head for eating a sandwhich?:ohmy:People like you cunfuse me.

SuzieQ33
01-28-06, 11:20 pm
Loose and roaming cats shouldn't be shot, only caged and taken to the animal shelter. I have never understood how a pet owner could be so unresponsilble as to put their pet in harms way like that. And it is harmful for any pet to be roaming loose outside.

Cavykid
01-28-06, 11:30 pm
My cats spend the day in the patio in the backyard. They seem to like it and dont usally leave the patio.

WritingLife
01-29-06, 11:10 am
Just so you know: Domestic house cats are the leading predators of songbirds in suburban areas. This has put severe pressure on populations of the less common songbirds in many areas. That's just information. It may or may not mean anything to you.

When I was a kid we had cats, and they were always allowed outdoors. One had multiple litters of kittens until my parents finally got her fixed (I don't know why they didn't earlier), one died of an infected bite from some other animal, one nearly died of a bite but got to the vet in time, and one was eaten by coyotes.

My two kitties have been indoor kitties since we adopted them. There are already too many cats roaming our neighborhood and getting into yowling cat fights under our windows at night (terrified my son once when he was younger -- he thought a baby was getting tortured). There's an absolutely psychotic cat that lives next door that fights anything that crosses its path, including humans. There are racoons that wander through our yard, and a month or so ago I spotted a skunk in the back alley. The street close to our house connects two main arteries, and all the teenagers in their hot cars think it's fun to use the street to go rocketing from one main artery to the other, squealing their tires as they go (when police set up on one corner, they pick the kids off like popcorn).

Our two are fine indoors, and they get to go outdoors on a harness and leash for a treat and so they know the area in case they happen to sneak outdoors.

When mild weather comes again, I want to make an enclosure to let my piggies have a run on the lawn in the shade. But I'll make sure there's a secure top on the enclosure, and I'm not going to let them play unattended for even a moment, no more than I would let an infant roam around unsupervised. That's a pet owner's responsibility. I already know there are predators, including hawks and other cats, in my neighborhood, so I know it's my responsibility to make sure that my piggies are in a safe enclosure and are properly supervised.

And if anyone takes a shot at my pets with a BB gun for no good reason, I hope he's got a good laywer.

pigsngrass
02-09-06, 01:43 pm
What a lucky Pig!! i hate the hawk!:)

CavySpirit
03-08-06, 10:37 pm
Well, after having Lucky at Cavy Spirit for over a year, I FINALLY found a totally awesome family to which I was willing to adopt Lucky and his girlfriend, Reeba.

Here's their update from an email. Thought I would share it, since his story is public.

Hi Teresa,

Here's an update on the progresses of Lucky and Reeba:

When we first put them in their cage, they were afraid and spend the rest of the day and evening under their wooden house you gave us. Sometimes Lucky would quickly come out and hide under their cozy cover.

First thing in the morning they get breakfast, before anyone else does :-) The kids sit down, criss cross applesauce, next to the cage and very quietly give the guinea pigs some fruit and vegetables by hand. Reeba and Lucky slowly and shyly came out at first, but now they're already pretty much used to that routine.

Whenever the kids sit down next to their cage they come out and ask for some more treats. It's so cute!!! Lucky is adapting amazingly well: he might be less social than Reeba, but he's a very peaceful guy. We can already slowly and gently pet him in the cage and he's cool with that. Reeba is still quite nervous, she probably needs some more time to settle down. We changed their cage for the first time yesterday. When I carried Reeba and then Lucky, I could feel Reeba being more nervous than Lucky. Lucky never had these big eyes saying "Uh, what's happening? :-)" , but at first Reeba did. She became more comfortable after I carried and comforted her for 5 minutes and kept her face a bit covered like you showed all of us last Saturday with the new scared guinea pigs dropped at a school.

Well, to sum up, it will take a few weeks before they're completely comfortable ((like you said, trust the expert!), but things are improving a lot. We enjoy so much having them and they're really fun to watch. We thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to care for Lucky and Reeba. We'll send you some updates some time.

Keep in touch,
Laurence

Slap Maxwell
03-09-06, 06:11 pm
How excellent you found them a great home!

The Magic Taco
03-10-06, 12:07 am
Teresa's like that lady I was on ACA who fosters babies until they're older and stronger if they're sick or hurt and finds them parents.
Yay, Teresa!

HowietheGreat
05-13-06, 11:50 pm
Shooting any animal is cruel. The cat is using his natural instincts. What you are doing his far worse then a cat doing what it was created to do. You should be trying to locate the owners so that you can file a complaint. I hope someone calls the ASPCA on you.

LilSweety
05-14-06, 04:42 pm
WELL HEAR THIS!

I really don't care of this is old or not, I need to voice my opinion on this.

I am completely shcoked at this statement. Being an owner of 3 Cats (2 are outside!) this completely makes me angry. :eek: Do you have any idea how SICK you are???? You dont deserve to be a pet owner if you are going to go around shooting cats in the head (which probably kills them!!!). you are SICKSICKSICK! You ANIMAL MURDERER! :censored:

TipiDancer
05-14-06, 06:38 pm

That is disgusting. I do not believe in breeding guinea pigs or any otehr pets. This is putting a sheltered animal to near death everytime someone buys a bred guinea pig over a sheltered animal. If things like this continue, the population will be almost as bad (probably twice as bad) as the average rabbit.

And why do you think the cat is eating your pigs?? WE eat pigs, cows any other animal. Is some Chuubicabra going to come up to us and shoot us in the head? I think not!! It's instinct!

bromers
05-17-06, 04:09 pm
When ever I see a cat in our backyard I get my bb gun and shoot it in the head.

You may be not causing your guinea POSSABLE pain because you do not know it will attack but you are still causing an other animal pain. If I knew of someone shotting my animal in the head I would make sure I do it back to them. It is not fair to inflict pain on a animal just because it came into the garden.

Piggy92
07-19-06, 03:02 pm
WELL HEAR THIS!

Seriously, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU....that doesnt make anything better, and you can get arrested and charged with ANIMAL CRUELTY...>(

Buggie_00
07-19-06, 06:49 pm
OK I have to weigh in here too. First though I would like to say how happy I am that the hawk attacked piggie is doing well in his new home and is safe from another attack.

Coolman- That is animal cruelty and you could go to jail for it, have you no conscience? What if it was your pig someone shot because it was poking around their cat? It's still someone's pet more than likely, loved and cared about just like your piggie that met an unfortunate end. Pigs who are allowed outdoors should be in an area that is closed off and covered to hopefully prevent that sort of thing. But shooting another animal with a BB gun or ANY type of weapon is just inexcusable.

On the cat indoor/outdoor subject, I am of two minds. If the cat has already lived most of it's days outdoors then it might be better for the cats well being to let it be an indoor/outdoor cat, roaming when it's as safe as possible to do so. If you get a cat as an infant you should just teach it to be an indoor cat, I don't have to worry about my cats being run over, bitten, forced to brave inclement weather, predators, disease. If something is wrong with them I know within 24 hours because I see them all day and night. They don't seem to have a problem being indoors at all, they still hunt and attack the random bug that makes it's way in, and of course every small toy that's left on the floor as well as the mysterious "bed mice" that hide where my husband and my feet are under the covers at night. They will occasionally wander onto my back porch where my laundry room is located now and then, it's screened in and they usually don't like the heat and go back inside once they've checked there are no lizards or bugs to chase.

PinkGrass
07-20-06, 07:31 am
Along the lines of people shooting cats..

My dad's co-worker is a trapper/hunter. And for whatever reason, he just abhors cats. I don't know why, but he does. So, when he's hunting (not on his property, mind you) and he sees a cat, he just shoots it. Doesn't care that it could be someone's pet... doesn't care that the cat didn't do anything to him. He just shoots them.. for no reason. And leaves them there.

That really makes me mad. It's one thing to hunt and use what you kill, but to shoot something just out of pure pleasure... And heck, it could be someone's pet! He's even bold enough to crack jokes about it all the time. Like, "It's not a wasted bullet if it's on a cat!" Jerk...

Well.. so I am not completely off topic, I'm glad Lucky and his girlfriend finally found a good home. >_>

TabithaTwitchit
07-25-06, 08:07 pm
Where I live, there are lots of hawks. When I bring my pigs outside I never take my eyes off them! We also have two cats but they're more scared of the pigs than the pigs are of them!

P.S. No matter what anyone says, cats should be let outside. But so should Guinea Pigs! So when a cat comes, don't be afraid to chase it or slap it. At least it's more humane than shooting it!

The cat really could be someone's pet, just like your pigs!

chinchillasunde
08-13-06, 09:39 am
We have hawks/owls etc here. Even for out little dogs (4lbs is the smallest) we have to be very careful.
Lids, do , solve that problem.
Of course here, another problem would be venomous snakes. Mainly rattlesnakes, but also copperheads (coral snakes and cottonmouths nearby also).
Regarding cats outside.
Cavies originally were outside running free. Doesn't mean this is safe at all anymore.
Same for cats.
Regardless of those who think cats should be free, this is not safe. If you truly want your cat(s) to live , keep them inside. For cats that have been outside already, this can be hard. But just know that continuing to leave them out is risking their lives everyday.
Urban or rural, cats outside die much sooner. Automobiles run over them, people shoot them or kill them in other ways (poison, bow and arrow, the list goes on), predatory animals kill them, venomous snakes, disease, toxins (anti freeze, eating poisoned rodents-to name a few) .
Unless you have an outside enclosure for your cats (which still leave disease and snakes a possibility), you , in putting them out, are gambling every day with all of these factors.

fashion victim
10-12-06, 11:41 am
Ugh children are so cruel. You should NOT harm an animal just because it's obeying its instincts. Remembers cats automatically hunt small animals, it's not their fault- they're MADE that way. What the kitty did was wrong but it doesn't justify you being cruel to ANY animal.

punky3983
10-15-06, 10:28 am
After reading through all these posts, I decided I needed to weigh in. I'm very glad to hear that the pig dropped by the hawk is in good hands and has a wonderful life to look forward to! I do agree that pigs should have time outside, but it ALWAYS needs to be supervised. I keep mine in a pen under a tree so predators flying above are less likely to even spot them. Not only that, but the tree protects them from direct sunlight.
As far as the indoor/outdoor cat issue, I'm of the mind that cats should be kept indoors. I realize that cats are natural predators, but so are a lot of other animals that people keep as domesticated pets. Regardless of the type of pet, I think the owner needs to be held responsible for the behavior of the animal. We have a major cat problem in my neighborhood. Too many people have let their cats roam outdoors. The cats tore apart my garden all summer long and I awoke to find bird feathers all over the yard twice. I've had to clean cat poo from the yard every week. Not only that, but having cats outdoors leaves the cat at risk for injury and disease. If your cat roams outdoors, how do you know what he has gotten himself into/been bitten by during the day?
I also think outdoor cats are a risk for children. A cat that is domesticated, but roams outdoors can be a serious risk to children. These cats tend to be friendly and will let kids approach and pet them, but may snap at any time when a child who doesn't really know how to handle a cat tries to do something it doesn't like. I say this because this happened to a child in my neighborhood. I know that cats contain a lot of bacteria in thier mouths and even one serious bite if not treated properly can lead to serious damage and possibly amputation. I just think that cat owners need to be responsible for the actions of their pets. Letting your animal roam free to damage other people's property or possibly harm other people is not being a responsible owner. Cats do need to be stimulated and kept active, but I don't think allowing them to roam free is the right way to do that.
Don't get me wrong, I think cats are great animals and I would NEVER condone shooting one under any circumstances. That is completely wrong. It is illegal for people to allow their dogs to roam free unleashed or unfenced, and although cats are much smaller, they can be just as dangerous. Keeping a cat indoors keeps the cat safe and keeps others safe as well.