PDA

View Full Version : Now I'm paranoid...Petco-mites question

ohgracie
07-29-08, 12:40 pm
I got my 2 girls from Petco (and I've since been thoroughly convinced to never buy from a store again, promise!!). I've had them for 2 months now and had no signs of mites...no itching, they like to be held, etc. Should I still treat them with ivermectin as a precaution? Have I had them long enough that I can assume they don't have them?
All the posts about Petco pigs all having mites has me concerned!
TIA!

Haley0489
07-29-08, 12:44 pm
If you've had them this long and noticed no signs. Scratching, hair loss, sores, dandruff then they're probably fine. However, if you're really worried about it, a treatment of Ivermec/Revolution/Advantage won't hurt the pig.

rabbitsncavyluv
07-29-08, 01:37 pm
You sure they are both females too? They are often missexed.

ohgracie
07-29-08, 01:51 pm
Yeah, I already got over the mis-sexed paranoia :-) They are definitely both girls. I think I may wait until I get piggie number 3 (or 4!) before I do the ivermectin...then I'll do them all at the same time.

Ziggy&Herald
07-29-08, 06:36 pm
I would recommend you treat your pigs now. Then after treatment, go to a reputable rescue that treats their pigs for mites as well. Then you wont have any problem.

Wheek Weak
08-01-08, 10:37 am
If you suspect mites, go ahead and treat them.

I don't know where you live, but in our case...we have to treat when the humidity gets high. It tends to activate the mites.

Whatever you do - don't wait. The poor pigs are in pain, and since treatment takes 3-5 weeks...you need to begin ASAP to start giving them some relief.

For topical (the easiest) treatment: Topical Ivermectin Treatment (http://www.guinealynx.com/topical_ivermectin_pour-on.html).

ohgracie
08-01-08, 03:47 pm
But they aren't in pain or showing any signs! I was asking if I should do it as a precaution even though I've had them for 2 months with NO signs. I still think I'm going to do it but it seems pointless.

Whatever you do - don't wait. The poor pigs are in pain, and since treatment takes 3-5 weeks...you need to begin ASAP to start giving them some relief.

Paula
08-01-08, 06:12 pm
Treating them with ivermectin won't hurt them if they don't have mites. If you can afford it and figure out the dose, treat them yourself and you'll feel better.