Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Female and male fighting.

Apolloo

Cavy Slave
I'm new here so if this is in the wrong forum I'm sorry.

I have a femle guinea pig who we have had for almost a year now and we have recently just recently got boy. He is about 8-11 weeks old and I had him nuttard(I think I spelled it worng). He and the girl lived fine together In one cage and didn't fight at all. My girl devolped a lump in her neck. She had some work done on it so she has a scab ther now nd is still healing. So while she was healing we out her in a seperate cage. 2 days later, about, we decided to let them run on the floor because it gives them time to see each other and to run around. Everything is going fine untill I hear chattering from both pigs. I turn and look at them. The girl is chasing the boy. the boy does not seem to be enjoying it. I thought it would just be something they would work out when it takes a turn for the worse. The boy attacks the girl and pulls out some fur. I immediatly sperate them and put them away. So now when ever they are by each other the boy will lmost make a huff sound and start to chadder while the girl we remain in her spot, in a defensive position, and make scarred squeaks. Right now they are in two sperate cages. I need help with this please. I reall want them to able to stay in the same cge again.

PIGGYMAMMA495

Cavy Slave
Well honestly I have a couple males and one is neutered. I put him with females and he did fine for the first few weeks and then the same thing happened. Now the females since forgave him and I re-introduced very very slowley during floor time and everything is fine now. Try a bath together with nice animal friendly shampoo that wont dry out their sensitive skin. This helped us alot. Now Pigs will get PMS and crabby and fight. I know my un-neutered males fight sometimes because it is their time of the month.LOL.
And they bite out fur or will give a little bite, but no drawing blood or anything. I always try to figure out the culprit and seperate. Then re-introduce slowly. I think if there is alot of chattering and agression when they are just seeing each other, then its a good idea to allow them to cool off for a while. If it does not work out, you could always open your heart up to adopting another female and male. This way both sexes will be able to have a friend and not be lonely. With the males and females I noticed they got all antsy and went bonkers when the females were in heat. I seperated the cages further apart to different sides of the room. When I didnt do that because of no room and too much furniture, I simply put a piece of coroplast in the middle of cages to ensure they had the girls out of site out of mind.
I hope that maybe some of that information helps you in some way. Just take it slow, and if it doesnt work it dosent work. I know you'd love them to be a happy little couple. But sometimes like people piggies arent compatiable.
Good Luck and Keep us posted!

Apolloo

Cavy Slave
Thank you PIGGYMAMA. I'm trying this now and it seems to be getting a ittle better between them. It seems though tht the mle has some swelling in the gential area though so maybe that might be causing that but I don't think so. He's going to the vet today to be checked out and hopefully he will be fine.
Anyway I'll keep you posted.

I used to have two girls that stayed in the same cage and fought about everything but never anything serious.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.