PDA

View Full Version : Litter pan

shortytheskatr
07-26-08, 06:34 pm
*I'm not sure if this thread belongs here. Are litter pans an accessory? :) *

I know longer have a guinea pig but am hoping to get another someday. Anyway, I was wondering how one would go about training a cavy to use a litter pan. How do you get them to "go" in it?

ohgracie
07-26-08, 09:13 pm
My girls did it on their own. When I first got them I was using all carefresh and I noticed they preferred to 'go' in a particular corner. When I changed to fleece I put a litterbox with carefresh in that corner and voila! Instant potty trained :heart: I still have to sweep up random poos every day and I change the fleece once a week. I have towels and puppy pads under the fleece and I can see they pee 2 or 3 times on the fleece but it doesn't smell. I scoop out the litter pan every 2-3 days also.

sammy_kaye
07-26-08, 09:40 pm
My two boys tend to go where they eat their hay, so I put their hay over a litter box and they do most of their toileting in there. We do have the odd 'accident' which just absorb into the fleece underbedding and I sweep up the poops twice daily.

They toilet train better if the bedding in the trays are different to the rest of the bedding apparently. I havn't tried it other than using fleece and kiln dried pine shavings.

PixieStix
07-26-08, 10:46 pm
Guinea pigs aren't easy to litter train unlike rabbits. Some will litter train themselves, but it's unusual to hear or pigs who always use a litter pan.