Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction/Anal Clarification needed.

ittybitty98577

Cavy Slave
I got Mick who is my first boy and is fixed, thank god! BUT I have done some research in impaction on GL and then I learned you have to clean their butts!
I was grossed out by the photos so I dont know how i'll do with the real thing....
But what is mineral oil? Is it like veggie oil or something? What can I use if I run out or cant find any? How often do you clean your pigs woo woo, and surrounding area? Any tips on cleaning them..Since I use fleece their butt and perineal sac wont be to gross will it?

I plan on doing a thorough cleaning on all my pigs since I have no clue if they ever been cleaned in that area, but after I go out and buy some gloves. Any thing els I should know before I dive in? Thanks a buch!

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
Well, luckily for you neutered boars don't have nearly the amount of trouble with impaction as unaltered boars do.

soccergrl849

Cavy Slave
I did it for the first time last weekend. It really isn't as bad as you may think. I thought it was a nice bonding time in fact! I soaked 4 q-tips in mineral oil for each pig. I laid then in between my out-streched legs and put some parsley next to them. They were a bit squirmy at first but after some coaxing they settled down. Then I just took a q-tip and did it. You just start with small circles and work your way in. My boys weren't that gross at all and they too have fleece so your boy should be just fine.
Good Luck!

ittybitty98577

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I hope it wont be to bad. Since he is fixed its a less chance that he will get impaction when hes old?

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
From GuineaLynx:
"Boars that have been neutered rarely if ever experience impaction."

So, it's VERY unlikely you'll have an impacted pig, but a clean out doesn't hurt. I'm sure stray pieces of hair and hay don't feel good up there! LOL!

I did my first clean out the other day, I wrapped them in a towel so they're back ends hung out, let them prop a foot on my leg so they felt "stable" and just wriggled a qtip in. My boys will NOT lay on their back, so it would be impossible for me to do it the way Soccergrl did it. They didn't mind too much and it was a quick & easy job. My boys are also on fleece and they're were all pretty clean.

PIGGYMAMMA495

Cavy Slave
Mineral Oil is available at any Wal-Mart/Dollar General/Pharmacy. Be careful that you dont go in to far. I recommend having a treat and a variety of whatever your pig likes near by incase of him being nervous. And I always sit in a recliner with legs straight out and pigs on lap. You'll do great, just like changing a diaper, once you do it you never forget. And as gross as it may sound like someone said above me in a post, it is a bonding experience really truely is. Good luck.

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I hope it wont be to bad. Since he is fixed its a less chance that he will get impaction when hes old?

Neutering does reduce the risk of impaction, however it's still good to clean him out. Things like exercise (helps with muscle tone), bedding, and diet also affect impaction.

gooberific

Cavy Slave
I just did my boys the other day. Sargie Poo had some hay stuck up there, Lt. Dan had some hair, and poor Major Mogwai had old poo and hair around his "woo woo" (lol) and hay, hair and gunk in his sack.

I was able to do the first two in the bathroom (I did nail clippings at the same time) where they were distracted by the mirror and carrot pieces. I got Mogwai started in there, but ultimately had to get hubby to hold him while I finished nails and then made sure he pushed out poos onto his lap. hehehe

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
It's very uncommon for neutered males to have impaction issues. I've never seen of or heard of one, because neutering them removes the "sac" area, for the most part. Boys who are neutered then tend to have poops that look like female poops as well.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Hi all,
I'm baby-sitting my sister's friend's male pig for a little while. We got him yesterday and the first thing I did was check to see if he's really a boy. I've never seen impaction before but boy, you couldn't miss it! I cleaned him out twice yesterday and again this morning.

Does having to do it so often mean that his condition is really severe? This poor little guy is raised on no hay, food that looks like it's meant for a hamster, and a "large" pet store cage which naturally is too small for him to run around in.

Does being impacted hurt them? He didn't put up much of a fight when I was cleaning him out. Also does it affect their mobility? He doesn't seem interested in walking around at all, but maybe that's because we have hardwood floors. I let my girls come say hi to him (under VERY strict supervision, he was by my side the whole time) and he wasn't very interested in them either.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
It sounds like he's not been cared for properly and his physical condition is declining because of it. He's probably severely under nourished, which is also [probably] why he's impacted. Get him some hay, good pellets and lettuce and see if he perks up any. You could ask the owners if they were aware he was impacted, if they didn't tell you about it they probably don't know themselves, which is causing him to be so lethargic. If he can't get rid of poo's, he can't eat.

Slave to the Wheek

Cavy Slave
Mineral Oil can be found a the pharmacy, it's used for humans for 'impaction' (lol) as well.

Something that my hubbby started which I'm really glad he did, is that when he has lap time with the pigs he ALWAYS tries to lay them down on their back for a minute. Each time they fought less and now, I can actually lay them down in my forearm with their head in the crook of my arm and their butt in my hand. Man, it's so much easier to clean up their anal sacks. I like to keep it up at least couple times a year just to help keep their stank down when they spray. It helps a tiny bit.

ittybitty98577

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys for all the help!

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
It sounds like he's not been cared for properly and his physical condition is declining because of it. He's probably severely under nourished, which is also [probably] why he's impacted. Get him some hay, good pellets and lettuce and see if he perks up any. You could ask the owners if they were aware he was impacted, if they didn't tell you about it they probably don't know themselves, which is causing him to be so lethargic. If he can't get rid of poo's, he can't eat.

Hay and Oxbow pellets where the first thing he got! I've taken him out as much as possible to try and get him more mobile, and he surprised me by starting a piggie train with one of my girls outside.

He's totally not interested in the girls at all if you know what I mean (thank goodness) - does impaction also have an impact on their sex drive/potence? His appetite is good though. I will try my best to see what I can do for him for the 10 days I have him, and then I will have a talk with the owners; I sure hope they're receptive.

Also, totally off-topic, but I was really surprised at the way my girls acted towards him. The dominant one mostly ignored him, but my super submissive girl started lunging at him! And then she picked a fight with my dominant pig! I had no idea three would be so different than two.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure how impaction effects their sex drive, if it even does at all, but your girls may not be in heat? I've never owned a sow though so I couldn't tell you for sure. Just be VERY careful they don't get together because it only takes a minute to end up with a pregnant piggie.

If the owners are not receptive to his condition he will die. Impaction is not a joke, if they aren't willing to clean out his sak he won't be able to eat, he'll become lethargic, loose weight and die very quickly. Imagine having a plug in your you-know-where and not being able to pass anything, ever. Doesn't sound very enjoyable does it? =X Hopefully his owners will take this seriously and step up, I know many people I've told about sak cleanings completely freak out over it because it's "gross", but you gotta do what you gotta do for your pig.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
I agree completely. I just have to find a way to tactfully tell them that the reason for his condition is because they've done just about everything wrong.

And I am being SUPER careful about the girls, though I think after today I won't let them get too close to each other anymore, emotions are getting too high!

ittybitty98577

Cavy Slave
I dont understand why you would have a intact male with females, its just way to high of a risk, like Haley said it only takes a min to get one pregnant! It would be awfull to have both of your girls prego.

gooberific

Cavy Slave
I dont understand why you would have a intact male with females, its just way to high of a risk, like Haley said it only takes a min to get one pregnant! It would be awfull to have both of your girls prego.

I wouldn't have let him near any of my other pigs... especially if he's not so well taken care of. :( I would've treated it as a quarantine, but given him lots of special goodness!

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
That was my attitude at first as well, but I've only let the girls come up to him while he's sitting right on my lap or next to me where I can easily hold him down. I haven't let them into a cage together and anytime I need to walk away for a minute I take the boy with me. Don't worry guys I'm being SUPER careful, I promise.

ittybitty98577

Cavy Slave
Well I hope they understand that your intentions are good and your only telling them that they need to look out for theis issues because you care and are a good piggy owner.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.