Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Getting piggies in and out

wheekypigs

Cavy Slave
I'm curious as to how piggies living in off-the-floor, or 2nd storey cages get to the floor during playtime; do you owners actually pick them up and transfer them, or put down a ramp? Because, before I made doors in the cages, I had a hell of a time trying to catch my girls in their cages just to bring them out to the floor, and an even crazier time chasing them all around the couch and under the shelves and tables to return them home!

gooberific

Cavy Slave
I bribe mine with food to catch them. They don't care too much as long as they keep getting to eat it. I cuddle them for a few minutes before I put them down for floortime.

I still have some trouble catching Sarge to bring him out, so I will still sometimes lure him into a box to hide and lift him out.

Edit to add:
I also did this with a carrot yesterday for nail clippings and butt cleanings!

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
My cages are on stands, so I just pick them up, no secret door or ramp. ;) Most of the time I have to corner them or literally catch them, but sometimes one or two of them will just let me pick them up.

Floortime, I have to actually maneuver them into a corner and catch them. You wouldn't know it, but 2/3 like to be held!

gooberific

Cavy Slave
Oh, I forgot about that. Putting them back in. Mine don't mind being picked up when they're on the floor. Just in their home. lol

wheekypigs

Cavy Slave
Yeah, my Mousey's the sweetest and sometimes she'll step up to the hand and let us pick her up, but mostly, mine really give me the Big Chase.

I don't think they enjoy being handled nor being chased down very much, even if I try to lure them with a bribe or if there's a big plate of veggies waiting for them out there. And I wasn't sure if their little hearts (or mine!)could take the stress.

So I finally cut a door the in coroplast so they can walk in and out when they want to - now I swear, they even understand us when we say "Piggies, go home!"

Lovin'thechoco

Cavy Slave
is it ok if you chase them around? doesn't that scare them?

wheekypigs

Cavy Slave
I think they do get scared. That was why I decided to make a doorway for them instead.

Lovin'thechoco

Cavy Slave
Good idea that way they come out when they want.. smart.

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
is it ok if you chase them around? doesn't that scare them?

I absolutely hate chasing mine around, but doing something like herding them into a pigloo or box (which mine have grown too smart for) can be less stressful.

Simonmaal

Cavy Slave
I had a real problem catching my guinea pigs so I had to come up with a cunning plan.

I got a small pet carrier (the type used to take pets to the vet), filled it with hay and let them wander into it their in their own time. The lure of fresh hay meant it took less than 30 seconds for the first one to wander in. Then it was a simple case of putting the front on the pet carrier, picking it up and then releasing them again into the run! No stress, no chasing, no scratching and no scared pig. Repeat for the other two and the job is done in around 5 minutes!

They aren't yet used to being handled much but they will eat from my hand without any hesitation. I figured that, as a result of this, why not make it easy for both me and the boys? I had no idea how easily they could outwit me nor how fast they could move, so I had to think like a guinea pig :)

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
Mine also hate being caught, although once their out they love to be cuddled and held and, of course, free range. Usually I'll bribe them with a baby carrot or something. One of my smarter pigs started about a week ago to yank the carrot out of my hand and retreat into the back corner with his prize. Its very entertaining, especially if I won't let the carrot go. He'll squeak to high heavens and "glare" at me. Anyway, treats work best for me.

CasaDe

Cavy Slave
I use a Chube. When Penny sees the Chube, she climbs right in. I place my hand securely over the rear end, tip it slightly upward, and carry her that way. The first time she didn't realize what happened. The second time it frightened her slightly, but not as much as chasing her around her cage did. Now it's just the way we do things and she's very happy with it.

She HATES being picked up, but she knows that the Chube is her "bus" and comes every time.

werevamper

Cavy Slave
Mine are relatively easy to catch during floor time. I just take a small pet carrier that my adult really likes and put it down. I just have to wait for him to see it and he goes right in. The baby then follows.

This didn't work when he jumped off the couch and got under it however. When he did that, I had to go to work so unfortunately had to freak him out by reaching one hand in behind him and trying to catch him with my other hand. The poor thing was scared of being picked up for a while after that so I hope I don't have to do that again.

hueyeats

Cavy Slave
As of week 6, I have trained mine to come up (tempt with food of course) & the best... go home all by themselves (cage on floor level makes it so easy).

I had a bright red/white & black stripped rug (marks where their "home" is) where I have been letting them off to go back home to. Then I let them loose close to that rug, then a bit further & further. They always find their way back to their "safe haven".

DC Piggies

Cavy Slave
I pet my guinea pigs slowly until they are calm, and then I pick them up, that usually works for getting them out of their cage and into their cage. The only time that that didn't work was when my 6 year old sister, and her CRAZY friend and our CRAZY cousin were "playing" with Tiger and Squeak. It took half an hour to catch Tiger under an empty trash can. I felt so bad doing that to him.

Note to self:
Don't let CRAZY little girls touch guinea pigs during play dates.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.