Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Calling all Kiwi's

sammy_kaye

Cavy Slave
Hi all

Was wondering if there are any NZ cavy owners out there who have information regarding where to get good quality hay, pallets and opinions on outdoor housing. I do have a C&C cage but would like to give them more outside time.

I am in the Waikato if that is relevant.

Hope I here from you soon lol

weta!

Cavy Slave
Kia ora Sammy! Good luck finding decent hay. I get mine from a stables, and the quality is variable. I guess there's plenty of grass growing in the Waikato at the moment!

My boys go outside in a 7x3 equivalent c&c cage, with a polystyrene cladding roof. The roof is light, strong, and stays put when you weigh it down with wood. Stands up to cats, but I wouldn't test it with dogs. And it's just during the day.

Have you come across the cavy creek website? There are a few guinea pig owners that hang out in the forums there ((broken link removed).

sammy_kaye

Cavy Slave
Hey,

I havn't really looked on cavy creek as yet. My two babies are inside most of the time in a 2x4. I am currently getting a huge solid outdoor hutch that will be raised up off the ground.

The grass in waikato is growing but the ground is too wet for the piggies to enjoy it! Hay is hard to come by but I get a bale from the feed shop when I need it.

maizy&betsie

Cavy Slave
Hae kiwis! theres not much of us on here! I get my hay from a friend on a farm but have heard you can get big amounts from a place called bird barn Hope i helpd:)

sammy_kaye

Cavy Slave
Cheers,

Hay is in short supply here and has doubled in price over the past few months at the feed bard. I can get a rectangular bale there which will last for ages for way less than buying it by the bag at the pet feed shop! All my friends with farms need all the hay they can get so I don't want to ask for any at the moment.

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
Hi Kiwi's,
While I am researching guinea pigs I don't own any (when I provide a home I want to know that what I am offering is ideal to their welfare so that I can enjoy them with peace of mind foremost)

I always have very good quality hay, am involved in holistic horse keeping so if you are in need of any, pm me and I will be try to help, you can collect it if close to Kapiti and if not we can work it through. Price will depend on what the bale cost me as this varies with time of year and sort of season the hay growers had. I use organic meadow hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.