PDA

View Full Version : Working at Petstore

Himino
12-26-04, 06:37 pm
For awhile I was thinking of working at a petshop but now I don't know. I definetly don't support they way the animals are treated. I was thinking if I did work at one I could help to educate my co-workers, and customers. Do things like tell people who are interested in buying fish to small pets and birds at the store that the best way to go would be at a shelter. And reccomend this site, maybe make up list of cavy care sites and things like that any thoughs on this subject?

Piglet
12-26-04, 06:41 pm
I think its a good idea. Go for it

Himino
12-26-04, 06:42 pm
Thanks for the support. I was really afraid, that when I posted this I was going to get totally stomped on!

Piglet
12-26-04, 06:44 pm
I would love to work at my nearest pet store to change stuff. They keep rabbits and pigs together and sell lots of crap stuff, such as cedar bedding and wheels. I have to wait another year yet though since I'm not old enough. As soon as I am, I'm applying for a job.

Himino
12-26-04, 06:48 pm
I would love to work at my nearest pet store to change stuff. They keep rabbits and pigs together and sell lots of crap stuff, such as cedar bedding and wheels. I have to wait another year yet though since I'm not old enough. As soon as I am, I'm applying for a job.
I am also but I think in the future sometimes! lol

Kizerk
12-26-04, 06:56 pm
me too, i've grown up always wanting to work at petco, but after i came here, i discovered that petco is a horrible place. so now when i get older, i want to start my own petshop, where the animals will be well cared for, but it's more difficult though.

Himino
12-26-04, 07:20 pm
if you start a petshop you shouldn't sell animals at all.

tashagurl
12-26-04, 07:43 pm
Thats what I want to do. I want a pet supply store that has animals up for adoption from local rescues.That would be so awesome dont you think?

Himino
12-26-04, 07:49 pm
Yeah that is a really great idea! I wish I lived out there in sunny CA we could be bussiness partners! lol

tashagurl
12-26-04, 07:52 pm
That would be a lot of fun! Too bad, maybe one of us could move? Just joking.

Himino
12-26-04, 07:56 pm
lol! well good luck on that maybe you'll post here in 15 years saying you were sucessful!

Katie
12-26-04, 08:06 pm
I just applied at my local pet store. The way I see it, they are paying me to educate the public, not to sell crappy items at the store.

TinaFabulous
12-26-04, 08:24 pm
hehe thats a wonderful idea, you go guys

just a note jasper- the petstores going to want you to sell stuff, alot of stuff, and if you are telling all the customers not to buy whatever, and go adopt, some stores might seriously consider firing you. Sad, but true. Just keep it in mind, plus do you really want to be supporting such mass breeding? Wouldnt you rather vollunteer at a rescue or something?

AngelsCavies
12-27-04, 12:58 am
I ahve thought about working at a pet store. I would rather work at a local shelter than working at a pet store. I might find out if humane society needs people. Not in volenter(sp) because I work 5 days a week at subway and doing both would be too much for me. I might call them tomorrow when I get home from work to see if they do. I just love animals so much that I would love to work with them and help too.

Himino
12-27-04, 08:00 am
Well I do love volunteering, I've volunteered for several places.. well only one the Dog's Den, but in January I'm taking a class at the humane society so I can volunteer there also. I wish there was a guinea pig rescue closer to my home or I would volunteer there as well but I can't travel very far because my mom doesn't drive. On the subject of working at a petstore I was just thinking out loud, I really would like to have a job working with animals or either little little kids.

mncavylover
12-27-04, 12:53 pm
If someone runs a successful adoption chain, one that is responsible and reputable, I'll definitely be going there. Go for it!

RustBottum
12-28-04, 02:05 pm
i was also thinking of working at Petsmart when i get older casue i am too young now. But now i am thinking that i will starte my own pet store when i get older that cares for animals and educates people about them.

I was thinking of volunteering at a pet rescue while now but i can't find anywhere in RI that will let a 13 year old volunteer without a parent with me becaseu my parents work full time. Anyone know of anywhere that would let me volunteer?

Kizerk
12-28-04, 02:11 pm
i like the idea of having a petstore, that has animals from the shelters for adoption. but what about other animals like hamsters and fish?

RustBottum
12-28-04, 02:20 pm
I like those too i would have any pet.

tashagurl
12-28-04, 02:57 pm
Lots of times they are up for adoption too. Mybe not fish, but other small animals.

mncavylover
12-28-04, 09:17 pm
i like the idea of having a petstore, that has animals from the shelters for adoption. but what about other animals like hamsters and fish?
Hamsters are all over in shelters--and fish are very difficult to take care of, and so should be in a specialty shop where they can get all the care they need.

tashagurl
12-28-04, 10:29 pm
Thats exactly what I was thinking mn!

Piglet
12-29-04, 04:28 am
Kizerk, I like that idea a lot!

I've decided to work and volunteer at a dogs shelter with my friend. She phoned yesterday and said she was interested.There's also a guinea pig rescue (owned by the RSPCA), buts its quite far from my house so I don't know if that can work out.

Himino
12-29-04, 11:18 am
Kizerk, I like that idea a lot!

I've decided to work and volunteer at a dogs shelter with my friend. She phoned yesterday and said she was interested.There's also a guinea pig rescue (owned by the RSPCA), buts its quite far from my house so I don't know if that can work out.
Tash had that idea also.

mncavylover
12-29-04, 01:46 pm
Glad to hear you agree. :)

Hope all of you can find what you'd like to do, and good luck!

Himino
12-29-04, 04:24 pm
I wouldn't be working at petstore all my life even if I did (which I am not) I plan on going to college and become a Vet.

AngelsCavies
12-29-04, 04:31 pm
go for it jaspers. I wanted to go to Penn state to become a vet but I couldnt afford it. But I am going to have an online store for all pet needs. from pet beds to pet carriers. when I get this up and going I will post the site on here and everyone can browes and buy too. Take my word jaspers. follow your dreams and keep going dont give up. Thats what I did. I started to follow my dreams on becoming a vet and go to penn state university. But I shot it down. What college are you thinking of going to. I know that Penn state has the best veternarian programs in state.

mncavylover
12-30-04, 10:36 pm
Good luck jaspers! :) I wish I was the vet type; unfortunately I couldn't do surgery, draw blood, or do injections--all key parts of the job. I wish you only the best.

dagwellismypigy
12-30-04, 11:31 pm
i think the absolute worst part of being a vet is telling people their pet passed or haveing to put them to sleep :((

tashagurl
12-31-04, 02:23 am
I dont think I could handle that part of it. That is one of the big reasons I dont want to be a vet.

citronsoul
12-31-04, 03:05 am
That's why I turned down being a vet too. I wanted to do it until I did some volunteer work at our vet. There was at least one person a day who had a pet that needed to be put to sleep. It was so sad. On my last day they were considering putting a kitten to sleep. It had been born paralyzed from the waist down. But it was so incredibly sweet. I felt so bad for it.

Himino
12-31-04, 02:35 pm
I know but I have such love for animals that I would have to just over come that part of the job. I either want to go to Penn State or to Lebonan Vally College.

AngelsCavies
12-31-04, 02:36 pm
both are good schools and good luck

Himino
12-31-04, 03:55 pm
Thank you!!!

KellyMichelle
12-31-04, 05:05 pm
Maybe a vet tech would be a better job for people who don't think they could handle doing the surgeries and stuff like that (at Columbus State Community, you can be a certified vet tech in 2 years). I have a lot of friends that are vet techs, and they love it, because it is such a great way to be with the animals all of the time. It doesn't pay much, but for some people, they just love their jobs too much to care about not being rich. One of my friends decided didn't want to be a vet because she didn't think that she could handle all of the blood and, well...messier, part of the job as a vet. But after a few years of a vet tech, she decided that she could do it, and applied to the vet program here at OSU, which is a great school, but very hard to get in to. No word yet on if she got in, but she did save our cat a few years ago! : ) I really hope that she gets in.

Hannah&Lilly
01-10-05, 09:54 pm
I work at a petstore. I thought that I would be able to make a change in the poor animals lives but unfortuantly I am only one person with a million things to take care of. I am now the Aquatics specailist and I will tell you what aquatics is the best department there. I wish that I could be able to work with the small animals but the catch at my store is either you work with the fish or ALL the animals including small animals reptiles and birds that is all the departments except for fish. It's really hard for only one person to do all that is required in an 8 hour shift. I have been calling trying to make a difference but it's hard. If more animal lovers worked there we would be able to get things done. I will never sell anything to anyone if I don't think they need it or won't take care of it.

Ly&Pigs
01-10-05, 10:30 pm
I would love to find some kind of grant to open a small animal rescue here in north central arkansas. There aren't any rescues around me that I know of. It makes me wonder what happens around here to all the piggies, hamsters, gerbils, ferrets, chins and buns that no one wants anymore.

I have been an animal lover since I was a toddler and I have taught my children to love and respect animals too. My oldest son loves cats the most, my younger son loves hamsters the most and my daughters favorite is horses. I think she will either be a equestrian or a vet when she grows up.

PumpkinPunk
01-14-05, 08:25 pm
It's funny that I'm finding this post because I just came here to post the same question! I just applied to a local pet store (Dave's Soda and Pet Supplies....don't ask about the soda part, I don't know, there's some coke machines or something lol). So I'm having this moral dilemma where I know my job (if they hire me) will be to sell the products, and the animals (no dogs or cats but small animals..), and I will be tempted to tell customers how bad all the "treats" (yogurt drops, seed treat sticks, etc) are for the animals and how they should adopt...lol, I see myself getting fired very fast. So we'll see where fate takes me. I gave them an application and there were a few lines for animal care experience and retail experience etc..lol I attached an entire sheet that I printed up of all my experience, I'm way over-qualified for the job, but I need money and hey maybe I can educate a few people and take care of some animals before they fire me in a couple weeks..haha. Any thoughts?

littlebear
01-14-05, 08:35 pm
Well PumpkinPunk I think you could get hired for the job! YOu could teach that pet store a few things! Hey Iam only 14 and I have complained to stores that the suff the sell there is bad for many animals! So you should get the job!

Susan9608
01-14-05, 09:10 pm
I think by working at a pet store, a pet store that sells animals, no matter how noble your intentions are, you will still be profiting from the misery and suffering of the animals in that store. Even if the particular store you work for cares for their animals adequately, the corporation as a whole is still responsible for the endless examples of animal cruelty that have been posted on this site. Just because you take the job as an effort to educate the public, you will still have to participate in their business ... and their business is making money by selling merchanise, which includes living animals.

In my opinion, which you take or leave at your discretion, would be to work for a pet store that does not sell living animals or to take a different kind of job all together ... and do your education as a volunteer.

AngelsCavies
01-14-05, 10:23 pm
Good luck, I would talk to some people about some things and also if customers ask you questions about cages for small animals and they dont like the price or size of the store cage. Tell them about the C&C cage and where you got the supplies for them.