Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

A False Alarm

Wammo

Cavy Slave
And Thank Goodness it was!

After reading over several sites regarding to mited on guinea pigs, today when I returned from vacationing, I examined Molly [who had gained a lot of weight, shame on you Daddy, for overfeeding her!] And was very alarmed to discover a bald spot behind her ear! Upon further investigating thouh, I soon figured out that it was just a typical bald spot behind th ear. The odd thing is that the other one doesn't have it! Should I be concerned?

She's still under surveilence, just in case.

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
It's normal for pigs to have a hairless patch behind each ear. How long ago and from where did you get these pigs? If they are new pigs, especially from a pet store, it is a good precaution to treat for mites with Ivermectin anyways. Even if they don't have mites, it won't hurt to treat them.

Wammo

Cavy Slave
I just realized how I worded that, what I meant was one ear had the bald spot and the other ear didn't. I got her about 6 weeks to 2 months ago from Petco. I would have taken her to vet immediately had it been my decision, but my mother has the say-so and she wont go for unless there's hard proof that she needs medical attention.

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
I got her about 6 weeks to 2 months ago from Petco. I would have taken her to vet immediately had it been my decision, but my mother has the say-so and she wont go for unless there's hard proof that she needs medical attention.

If you got her from Petco, chances are very high she has mites. You are lucky you don't seem to have encountered any other illnesses yet. You can treat for mites easily at home with Ivermectin. Guinea Lynx :: Ivermectin You wouldn't be able to see mites if your pig has them, they are microscopic and burrow under the pigs' skin.

Wammo

Cavy Slave
Ah, but wouldn't I still have to get it from the vet? If so, I'm sure I could convince my dad to help me out, just tell me where to get it and I'm there ASAP. My mother outright refuses to listen to anything I have to say but I can usually convince my dad to help me out as long as he doesn't have to pay. thankyou for your help! She HAS been scratching a lot at the ear that has the bald spot, which is what initially made me suspicious.

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
Ivermectin can be purchased from feed stores (marketed towards large animals) or online, no, it's not necessary for a vet to administer it. In fact, it's easier on both of you to do it at home. It's cheaper for you, plus vets often want to do unnecessary, painful skin scrapings and administer the Ivermectin as an injection. You will need a small syringe as well as a kitchen scale to weigh your pig to know how big a dose s/he needs.

Wammo

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for your help! I'll be sure to pick some up ASAP! Molly sure appreciates it too, I'm sure.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.