Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Ivermectin

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
How do you give ivermectin, oral, topical, or injection?

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Not sure what you mean. Do you mean how is it administered in general or how do we administer it personally?

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
How it is administered to a guinea pig. Or can you do any of them?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
You can do it any of the three ways you listed in your first post. But you have to get the dose right, so read through these pages thoroughly before you treat your pigs, especially if you aren't taking them to a vet for treatment:
Guinea Lynx :: Ivermectin
Guinea Lynx :: Ivermectin Treatment Guidelines
Guinea Lynx :: Ivermectin Products
Guinea Lynx :: Ivermectin Topical Treatment
Guinea Lynx :: Ivermectin Oral Treatment

I've done topical and injections, and I wouldn't recommend administering ivermectin by injection unless you are very skilled at giving animal injections in the first place.

PIGGYMAMMA495

Cavy Slave
Ivermectin that was perscribed by our vet was either the liquid that you put in a syringe and they take it orally, or for the ones that were rescued and had bad scabs and major mites he gave them a injection at the office to. The topical that we recieved once I was told to give two drops on neck and lower back. I never really chose which type of Ivermectin. The vet would just give me one of the three and say here, do this and this. I personally think all 3 are good and have used them all. I just do not understand what you mean, I give it the method the vet describes and either use orally, topical or injection. Just depends on the Exotics Vet.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Okay, thank you. I just want to know so before I adopt my guinea pigs (or get them off craigslist-especially if off of craisglist) I can get some just in case. I want to get a few other medication things too, but I will always want to ask a vet before doing anything. I deffinitely won't want to do it by injection.
Oh what I meant was, I didn't know if you could only give ivermectin to a guinea pig a certain way like only orally or only injection, or only topical.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
If you do need to order supplies online, I got everything here: (broken link removed) and they were great! If you need help with which syringes, needles, etc. to buy, shoot me an email or PM and I can help you figure it out.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I will deffinitely buy from them! Thanks a bunch! I just might need help with the sryinges and such.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Read the links given you at guinealynx.

How you administer it depends on what form of ivermectin you get. The injectible you administer topically, the paste you administer orally, etc.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.