Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Treats Home-made guinea pig treats?

PIGGYMAMMA495

Cavy Slave
Hello again everyone. I have a question. I know the dangers of store bought treats, so I decided to make my own. I did do it already and the pigs seemed to go bonkers for them. I just want to run it by everyone who has more experience than me and see what they think?
I use Oxbow Pellets
2 C of Oxbow Pellets ground in blender
1 pureed apple -or whatever your pigs like-basically everything safe can work
1 pureed pear
1 sprig of parsley or whatever your pigs like
mix together,
if dry add water until moist, but not gooey

Roll into a sheet between two pieces of plastic wrap and put in chill chest for about 4 minutes to firm it up.

Then using a soda bottle cap from a 2 liter bottle, cut out little circle shaped treats and place on a non stick baking sheet. I also stick a pellet on the top for decoration.

PreHeat Oven To 350
Bake for 15-20 minutes depending on size
Turn oven off and allow treats to cool with your oven.
I also put mine on a plate and place in fridge for a few minutes to be extra safe.
My Hubby said that for Holidays you could use different cookie cutters and make eyeballs or facial expressions or decorate them with pellets before baking.
I know there is a ton of varations you can use with this, but I only use the fresh organic veggies or fruits they eat daily or weekly.
I grew tired of pet store treats, and never knowing what exactly was in them. I know everything I feed them is okay and approved on the foods list, so everything should be okay right?
I did so much looking for ideas on the internet and all of the ideas included flour and corn and seeds and things like that. All of the ingredients were not on the piggy food list. So I decided to try my own idea. I hope someone likes it or can think of something different to try.
But I must say Cookie LOVED IT. And now gets all excited and will do circles before I tell him to because he thinks he might have a slight chance at getting a treat. It also works great with the treats on my pig agility course. They will go through the little tunnels and up the ramp, and then at the end I know their reward is a better choice than those pet store treats.
So does everyone think that it sounds okay?

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
I think that sounds amazing, as I've been looking for a treat type food to try and teach tricks :)p), but nothing's been safe. Can't wait to see answers, and if it is safe (don't see why it wouldn't be), I will be making it as soon as I get home!

gooberific

Cavy Slave
The only thing I can see that might be 'wrong' would be because you bake them, but I'm no expert... so we'll have to see an answer from one. lol All my guys like crunchy things, and I'd make these for them if they're okay, too. :)

Toadies

Cavy Slave
I'll be keeping an eye on this one to see how Ly weighs in. I think this could be the start of something big!

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
They sound great! But I don't think they are supposed to eat baked foods, even if what is in it is nutritious ? I'm also waiting to see what Ly says.

Last edited:

PIGGYMAMMA495

Cavy Slave
Okay so after reading the replies I went and tried them without baking and they still liked them. We used the same ingredients we also made a fruit treat then a veggie treat, so we have the sweet and savory thing going. I called that number to get like a trademark thing so if this works out I can like be the owner of a Homemade guinea pig treats company that is actually good and safe. Okay but anyways, You do all the things in the recipe...Now if you put them in the chill chest and roll them into little piggy meatballs I call them, Its kind of like them cookies that are balls, you know what I mean>?
But they Loved them. So now they are not baked still good, and still somthing fun. As long as you chill the dough before using cookie cutters, they hold the shape and still is fun to decorate with pellets? Im pretty proud of myself. But personally I dont think it hurts them to be baked. I called a few exotic vets and asked them and they said they see no harm in it, and they wanted me to send them a batch or two. I also think this is a good idea for my two friends who have rescues. Im trying to get Jul's and Crystal to set up tables somewhere, and I would set up my Piggy Agility Course and have the treats there, and make cozies and cuddle cups to sell, and this could really be a help to the rescues. Okay Im going shopping for produce. Let me know what everyone thinks that trys it. I do know someone did try it and I guess because of altitude in their state they used less fruit or something. Just eyeball it basically. WE all know what cookie dough should feel like. So go with that.
I think Im going to make alot of piggies like me even ones that arent mine.:)

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
wow i want to try this

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I was wondering if you could still use them without baking them. I deffinitely will be making these when I adopt my guinea pigs!

Harrys Dad

Cavy Slave
I'll give it a try! Thanks!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I think they are fine but 2 fruits in it may be a bit much. Try it with either apple or pear (or another fruit). I don't think baking them would hurt it since they are made from oxbow pellets.

How often are you giving them?

LisaLou

Cavy Slave
Yay! Ly says okay! I'll give it a try next time I make my veggie run! Thanx!:)

PIGGYMAMMA495

Cavy Slave
Thanks Ly. I am going to market theese things. I have alot of permission to get my lawyer said. But its more or less good to go with the patent office. Now, I have legal hoops to go through as far as permission to use a certain brand name of pellets, but for now everything is fine.
So I suggest that theese are treats and should be given as treats. Just because they have pellets in them, they should not replace the daily fruits and veggies and pellets and hay. I would give one for good behavior or for doing a trick, or for having a good floor time. Depends on the size of pig. If you use the soda bottle cap off a 2 liter bottle, I would say one treat for a small pig who is 1-2 pounds. And for my hefty boys I just adopted who are almost 4 pounds Maybe 2 treats. Once the piggies learn that they are going to get theese when they do good, you'll see them doing whatever trick they do, for example: Cookie will start doing circles as soon as he see's the piggy shaped tray with the treats on them. He knows right away what to do, in case there is a treat on that tray. I tried to make them with the following pureed ingredients and they have all tasted good. Pears, Peaches, Blueberries, Apples, Oranges, Celery, Bell Peppers of all colors, Cilantro, Parsley, Mint, grapefruit is a good one, watermelon without seeds, cucumber, squashes, carrot (but dont use alot of carrot since they are limited in how many they can eat at a time).and a few others. I think that rescues should make theese to sell to people with guinea pigs as a fundraiser or something like that. I hope I gave everyone a helpful idea. But do remember it should be the consistancy of cookie dough. If its too runny add more pellet "flour"(it has consistancy of flour when blended down. I hope your little piggies enjoy.
You can also Make a loaf in a small bread loaf pan if you have alot of piggies. Then you can freeze it, or keep it in the fridge and cut a small hunk off when they are good. However you do it and whatever shape, your pigs will love it!
If you like this recipe you'll love all my other ideas. If you want any other recipies for cool things to make for your piggies get in touch with me.
Thank You!

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
Question. How long are they good for just straight out of the oven, not frozen or anything? I mean, I don't know how I'd tell if they started going bad....

PIGGYMAMMA495

Cavy Slave
Since its been so humid, I store mine in the fridge. If you leave them out during the fall/winter on a plate or in a sealed container I would say 6 days. If you refridgerate them, a week to two weeks. If you used little chunks of fruit in the cookies, they only last 2 days because of spoiling. That is why I tried it with pureed fruits and veggies. You really have to eyeball everything when you make it. HOpe this helps. Plus the piggies think its neat when you give them a chilled treat...
Also try this, I made them little Pureed fruit and veggie slushie treats. Just freeze the puree. You can use ring molds as well when you freeze. Just dont do it solid as an ice cube or they could choke. Your mamma always said dont chew on ice cubes. So I made it as a slushie for them. Great on theese hot days, okay'd by the vet for them. And something great with this extremely hot weather we have been having. HOpe this helps. I have about 33 ideas right now just for things to make for the pigs, more to come soon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.