Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

teflon hazard?

supertollamy

Cavy Slave
I was talking to a coworker today who said she once had a guinea pig, and she mentioned that Teflon is bad for them. She said her guinea pig was perfectly happy, and his cage was in/near the kitchen, but she was cooking one day on a Teflon pan and he got quiet suddenly, but she didn't think anything of it. Then she looked over to his cage a few minutes later and he was dead. She said she then found out that Teflon fumes are poisonous to guinea pigs.

I've heard that Teflon is poisonous to birds, but I've never heard about it being a problem with guinea pigs. My parents have Teflon pots and pans and I know we've used them while I was living with them and had my guinea pigs (I don't live with them anymore, but my roommates and I might also have Teflon pots). I've never encountered it as a problem myself, but if it could be a problem, I need to know! As i imagine everyone else would as well....

Does anyone know anything about Teflon being toxic to guinea pigs? I tried to search the forums and couldn't find anything that addressed this issue and I even googled it, but I still can't find any answers.

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
Nonstick cookware fact and fiction as well as safety tips - Goodhousekeeping.com

Check out this link. The fact that it can be deadly to any animal should be a warning to us all. For your co-workers guinea pig it could have been a result of the teflon releasing gasses. It may have had a health condition that was aggrivated by the gasses being released or it could have been a total coincidence.

I personally got rid of all my teflon pans a few years ago when I read about this, for my personal health and the health of my animals.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.