PDA

View Full Version : A ramp as a toy- suggestions?

tmb_3410
07-15-08, 10:16 am
Hello!

We are expanding my GPs cage from a 2x4 with an upper loft of 1x2, to a flat 2x5 cage. We have two boars, and right now the upper loft is for hay only. We've noticed that they tend to get on each other's nerves upstairs in the hay loft because there isn't enough room for the two of them.

They also love to run around in their cage- and they go really fast! So we thought by eliminating the ramp they'd have even more room to run their laps in (and also by adding an extra foot of space, they can be away from each other more).

The downside is, my pigs love running up & down the ramp. I'd like to make a substitute ramp (like a bridge) for them to run around on, but it will not be leading to an upstairs.

Any ideas for a safe ramp? I really don't know where to start with this, and did a search & looked on the gallery, but haven't been able to find anything...

Thanks everyone.

gooberific
07-15-08, 10:25 am
My bunkbed is made from part of the original ramp that I had for my boys. They hop up and down it as part of their laps. :) You could zip tie it to the side of the cage with enough space for them to walk under it and low enough for them to hop up onto it?

PixieStix
07-15-08, 11:45 am
The downside is, my pigs love running up & down the ramp. I'd like to make a substitute ramp (like a bridge) for them to run around on, but it will not be leading to an upstairs.

I don't quite understand this. A ramp leading to an upstairs will take away space, but so will a 'substitute' ramp. Sorry, but I don't understand the difference.

auburnmare5
07-15-08, 01:54 pm
I would put rungs on it to keep the gps from slipping down from it. I would zip tie it to the sides of the cage for an extra percaution.

tmb_3410
07-15-08, 03:27 pm
I don't quite understand this. A ramp leading to an upstairs will take away space, but so will a 'substitute' ramp. Sorry, but I don't understand the difference.

The difference something like a bridge could be taken out of the cage, or used in floor time.

I want something the pigs could still run up & down on.

It was just an idea I was thinking of so they could still enjoy running up and down something.

PixieStix
07-15-08, 03:45 pm
Okay I understand now. A bridge may be a good idea in that case.

guineapigfan9000
07-17-08, 01:59 am
I have just done this, with a ramp attached to the side of their cage. They can climb up on top or hide underneath.