Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Everyone who can help please do?

PIGGYMAMMA495

Cavy Slave
Okay. Let me first start off by saying I have done alot of research, and I do know the basics. I also have a very cavy savvy vet. But there is this couple in the city who called me. They said someone told them I was looking for some piggies. I said wonderful I would love to come meet them. Well I showed up to a ONE BEDROOM APARTMENT that was horrible smelling and they are your run of the mill pet store breeders. They said they have to get rid of the pigs becuase they are not producing enough revenue. I flipped out. They had males with females who are not spayed. They were livin inside a coffee table that had chicken wire across the bottom and sides.. The bedding was papertowels. They breed cats, and rabbits and mice and said the guinea pigs dont get them cash like they use to. First off I told them how digusted I was to see that they have such a small apartment and all theese animals It was so grose. But to see these beautiful girls and boys in such a digusting condition. I agreed to take the 3 females and I said Id work on finding homes for the boys. Well then she came out with my carrier and said oh, I forgot about the girl in my bedroom. I said Oh, Uh, UM okay. Kind of shocked and was so "ticked" off I said okay fine. I gave her hay and pellets none of which she had to hold the boys over until I can figure something out. So I get home and Im so happy, that I did something so great for a great cause of animal rescue. AND THEN THERE IT WAS, A HUGE PIG. Now I knew as soon as she waddled out that she was PREGNANT and let's just say I CAN SEE THE BABIES MOVING INSIDE OF HER AND FEEL THEM UPON PETTING HER GENTLY. My Vet is open tommrow and I am going to get an emergency appointment for all of them to be checked especially Princess the Prego. But in the mean time for tonight. Does anyone know what I should look for or anything I can do to make her comfortable. I have a few RATHER HUGE C&C with only the other female in it (trying to give her alot of space). I just am so shocked and stunned. I hope that between now and 10am till the vet opens she doesnt deliver. The lady did say when I called her back that she has been breed several times and all were successful except for the two before the last she had a lethel in each so they changed the father and the last litter was 4 babies and she was fine. I of course am totally prepared since I adopted these girls that the precious innocent babies are going to live here and have a forever home. Even if it is a lethel I have the means and money for a good vet in Pitts, PA that deals with alot of lethels. So I just wanted to make clear I did not make this happen. I know the dangerous means of breeding and that it shoudlnt be done. I just simply became taken advantage of because of my kindness once again, should be use to it by now. But theese pigs deserve the best in life and Im ready to give that to them and welcome them with arms wide open to our family. Any tips would be soo very thankful for. And anyone can email me privately to talk more about this if they are interested in the adoreable males. They are all aby's or peruvians. Great coats and color patterns, all very very friendly. Id love to get them all out of there. They are giving them away she said or they will have to be put down. I know for a fact that a person who lives by them and seen me taking the pigs out waited till they went inside and shoke my hand and said they have been calling the animal control for months to try to shut their scam down but no one responded and they are glad that they are getting proper care from a clean family that loves pigs. They said that the babies that do not look good to sell to the pet stores the neighbors have seen them drown cats in a kiddy pool, rabbits/bunnies and also pigs. I balled like a baby and held onto my pet carriers and told them to let me know if they see anything with pigs until tommrow when I come back to get the boys if I can find some homes for them. This is digusting and it makes me sick that people can do this. Thanks Again.
Thanks so much in advance for any tips or support. I am really as perplexed and shocked about the whole situation as you all are that read this. Please dont yell at me though about anything I dont think I can handle it right now. I just tried to do the right thing since they had a for free sign online.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Have you read Guinea Lynx :: Reproduction ?

Remove any baby males at 3 weeks. You didn't pay them for the pigs, did you? You may be able to call Animal Control on them, or the ASPCA.

The landlord may be interested in what they have been up to. Most limit the amount of pets you can have.

PIGGYMAMMA495

Cavy Slave
No I didn't pay for the piggys. They got my telephone number from someone who knows I love guinea pigs. They said they had a online add on the internet for FREE PIGS. And they were going to have to "put them down if I can't take them"! Talk about making me feel so guilty.
Now as I did say I was totally irritated about them having the nerve to do that to any animal let alone pigs, and then to just add in a fully pregnant female. I am glad though because it was meant to be, they can't care for animals with their hearts, only their wallets. And I am a huge pro animal rescue person. I did read the link you sent me. Thank you. I did read it before, and like I said I do know the basics of the whole pregnancy. I am calling the ASPCA tommrow after the Vet. And if I don't feel confident in the answers I get. I have a lawyer that is a real ((( well you can imagine what word would be there, but If I find out that there were reports and no one went to investigate it and stop them or try to, I will be raising a bunch of doo doo. It's sad that the ASPCA and other places to control people like this are underpaid and understaffed, and filled to the max with the limit of pets they can have. I wish I was a Millionare and could open a whole bunch of shelters and rescue every little bugger that needs help. But back to my original post. I am expecting a phone call from the neighbor who shook my hand tommrow morning. He is getting me the number of the landlord. I mean it is seriously a zoo in there. How people can just irresponsibily breed animals it makes me sick. I will get answers and theese people will be stopped no matter how much time or money I invest. Its only money, and it is meant to be spent so I can find nothing bad about spending it on a good cause like this to shut theses people down. Now I was looking more towards the advice on like does a pregnant mom about to give birth prefer a certain type of bedding, or do they like more fleece, or do they like a certain veggie before birthing. I know I personally wanted KFC mashed potatoes before my C-section. And my best pj's, Im sure a guinea pig might like something special right? tee hee! I hope that some people in Pennsylvania that are near Pittsburgh PA will be able to get ahold of me through here about the other beautiful males that Im going to get tommrow hopefully if all works out. I'd love to take them and place them in a good home. But Im ready I have a smaller 4 by 7 c and c set up in my bedroom with the pregnet one in and tons of hay then for the bedding I have carefresh on top of newspaper on one half of cage then on the other side I have just fleece. So I suppose that she will choose the best spot for her if she delivers tonight. I put her in my room with me because in case I fall asleep in bed, I want to be able to check on her more frequently without disturbing my pigs in our family room by turning the lights on and being rude during their sleep time. Even though pigs are more active at night. HMM, well any advice on how to make her as comfortable as possibble is greatly apperciated. Im sure someone who adopted a pig who is pregnant knows some tips? Thanks again. Sorry for such a long post, but I want to be extremely clear so people dont think Im the backyard Breeder.

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
I think the best things to keep her comfortable would be plenty of fresh water, hay(timothy and alfalfa), fresh veggies, quality pellets and a place to hide. Personally, I think fleece is the best. It is easy to clean and less likely to stick to newborns. I like your idea of giving her some choices.
If your cage is large enough, she should be able to be in with the other females you rescued. They will act like aunts to help take care of the little ones. From the sounds of it, they are most likely pregnant as well. Also, double check that they are all females if you haven't already.
It is great that you were able to take these girls in. Hopefully, you will be able to help the boys too. You might consider getting your local news involved. Do everything possible to shut these folks down. It would be a shame to have rescued these and then find that they started all over again with a new batch, not to mention the other animals there that need rescuing too.
I hope that she has a safe delivery of healthy babies.

Laurenashley85

Cavy Slave
I'm so happy that you could rescue the girls. Sad that the boys had to stay at that horrible place another day. I hate animal cruelty.

Have you thought to look on PetFinder.com? They have pigs for adoption on there and I was thinking you could contact the rescues near you that would take them in.

I'm all the way in Philadelphia or else I'd recommend the rescue I adopt from...unless you're willing to travel? It's in Wallingford. The girl is very nice and she may have some spots available for them.

PIGGYMAMMA495

Cavy Slave
UPDATE.. I have another post in the medical and vet topics section. It refers to the mother princess who was rescued, doesnt have any milk still. The girl from the BB's house keeps calling me and asking if they can have PRINCESS and the other female back and they made a mistake by giving her to me. I know its because they know that Im going to shut their operation down. I dont know what to do? I know there is no way in ___ that they are going to get them pigs back. They gave them to me and we had a verbal agreement that I was taking over permanent care for them. So question is, I dont have to give them back right? Princess just gave birth yesterday evening around 6pm. 2boys and 1girl. Beauties. No milk, after 3 shots of oxytosin from vet. Ive been syringe feeding critical care often as sugested.
One boy who was first born passed away, and I feel terriable. Now if she would happen to take me to court as she suggested for the piggies, do I have to give her the babies? I dont want this woman to even have a goldfish let alone the pigs she was getting rid of because they werent "money makers". The neighbor guy left me a message saying that there is a new pet store about to open and only sell small pocket pets, and she has a contract with them. IM SO DIsgusted, I will find out their name when he calls me back and Im going to tell them the conditions and danger of the BB and how they breeded Princess 5 times back to back and she is a little under a year. any help is apperciated as to what my rights are since i rescued her.

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
No you do not have to give the pigs or babies back. If for some strange chance she does take you to court, be sure you have all the vet bills, food costs, bedding, your time - any thing that you spend on them documented. That way you could counter sue for "boarding" them. Keep track of any harrassing phone calls from them as well.

I'm sorry to hear that Princess doesn't have any milk. Her poor little body has probably been depleted of every thing, having babies back to back like that and probably on a poor diet too. I hope she and the little ones will be ok.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
She's got nothing on you. If she got the idea to take you to court, any judge after hearing the disgusting and unclean conditions they were housed in would not let them go back to her. The neighbor is an eye witness to the cruelty they put the animals through [drowning them in kiddie pools?!]. Keep all your bills like KritterCrazy said, just in case. But really, don't worry because there's no way you'll end up having to give any of the GPs back.

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
I've been away so just read the update. There is no way these people will take you to court. it is just open threats to try and get you to give them back. Keep up your good work and as mentioned, keep track of all expenses and phone calls from these people.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I agree. There is no way that she can get them back. Probably just empty threats. If she does take you to court (though she will might not want to go that far), as mentioned all ready, keep track of everything.
I'm glad you were able to rescue them!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.