PDA

View Full Version : Afew questions about switching to fleece...

jazz1992
07-13-08, 07:11 pm
So Iv jst decided to switch to fleece.
But instead of fleece Iv just put towles down on top of the corex.
Will that be ok?
Also the cage gets filled up with poo really quickly and it deosnt look too nice and also there are wet patches where they have peed. I no fleece is better for pigs but I dont see how if there tredding on there pe and poop all day...

Slave to the Wheek
07-13-08, 07:49 pm
First thing I recommend is to take the time to do a forum search on "fleece bedding". This conversation has been covered a great deal.

Fleece bedding is not easy to maintain, and if it's to work you'll need to get a clear idea how how it works for everyone else.

There are several minimum basic steps to creating and maintaining a fleece bedding system:

Fleece has have a nice absorbent layer underneath, the fleece has to be a type that does not absorb fluid, but rather allows it to travel through quickly and dry quickly.
Fleece has to be anchored to the the cage floor in some way. The forums are filled with tons and tons of ideas on how to do that. I'm sure there are many here who can offer up ideas for you as well. This allows you to sweep it with small broom or vacuum it with "poo" dedicated vacuum.
Fleece requires DAILY clean-up/spot cleaning at a minimum. The smaller your cage, the more times you have to sweep poo, or suck it with a dustbuster or whatever. For example: a 2x3 CC cage with one pig should really be spot cleaned twice daily. My personal experience is that pet store cages are way to small to use fleece. It's a waste of time to try it. The poo comes out too fast to sweep it up in that size of a cage. If you allow the fleece to become soaked, then the poos get soggy and it's just a mess. This is why it's important to make sure you have enough room for them in the cage to allow it to dry out between pees.
Hay has to be managed with fleece or it becomes an absolute nightmare to try to keep it up. Most folks end up building a "kitchen" or a "hay box"Some folks just lay down a layer of fleece, and literally change the whole thing out daily. With a fresh fleece each day. Shake out the hay, poo and hair and wash it. If you have a washing machine it's a great idea I think.

Some use towels underneath, some use puppy pads, I used polyester batting myself. Whatever it is, it needs to be something that draws the wetness of the urine from the layer of fleece above it.

If you do a forum search you'll be shocked at all the great ideas that have been posted over the years. Good luck!

PixieStix
07-13-08, 10:39 pm
http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/21568-fleece-project-study.html This is a great post which covers everything about using fleece as bedding.

Towels alone aren't a great idea. The great thing about fleece is that it wicks moisture, so the top layer is always dry for your pig. Towels are great to be used underneath, but get wet and soggy quickly, so aren't pleasant for a pig to always be sitting on. Fleece on top (make sure it is washed without fabric softner and a few times before use) will wick and eliminate visible 'puddles' of urine.

The cage will also need to be spot cleaned regularly as previously mentioned. Some people use a small hand held vacuum, I like to sweep with a broom. I spot clean once daily, but many people do more often then that. If you have a small cage, it will need more frequent cleaning. If not spot cleaned regularly the fleece gets really messy and gross.

Wheek Weak
07-18-08, 10:33 am
I ditto Slave to the Wheek and PixieStix.

there are wet patches where they have peed.If you feel the surface of a wet towel...it feels wet. When you run your hand over the surface of fleece that has been exposed to moisture...it feels dry (within a very short amount of time).

Also the cage gets filled up with poo really quickly and it deosnt look too niceYou need to sweep up poos a couple of times a day. This should not be considered a chore. Instead, it should be a time to:

#1 Check to make sure that the poos are normal. Not too moist, clumpy, dry, small, etc., which would indicate an illness.

#2 Spend time with your pig. Make sure he/she is being social, playful, curious, etc.

A lot of learning about, and taking care of your pig the proper way, is done while keeping their home clean and observing their behavior, habits, preferences, and external visuals.