Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What am I missing?

Nelli

Cavy Slave
I have 2 guinea pigs. I recently upgraded their 2x3 to a 3x3 with a 1x3 upper level, they poop everywhere. I am attempting to potty train my piggies but things are not working as planned (as if they ever do with piggies).

I was hoping that if I just used the upper level as the food level that they would handle most of their business up there. They have been handling most of their buisness up there even though they do manage to drop quiet a bit of poopies on the main level.

My schedule has changed and I'm out more than I used to be. When I leave in the morning they're on the upper level. When I come home, they're on the upper level and when I check on them in the middle of the night, they're on the upper level.

I'm concerned because I'm not sure if they're getting adequate exercise during the day. I sometimes see Patches running around downstairs but not Precious. I was hoping that making the upper level the food court would confine their poopies to the upper level and not confine them to it.

Did I make a mistake? Any suggestions as to what I should do?

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
Is all of their food upstairs? Do they have any reason to come downstairs? Because if they do, they're probably down there when you're not around to see.

Both my cages have upper levels, and in one cage, my pig doesn't go upstairs much, but I did just put it in yesterday and the ramp is a little steep. In the other cage, one hangs out upstairs a lot, and is downstairs for pellets and water. I often find him laying down in the most padded part or in the hay loft. The other one will go up, but not as often.

I think maybe your piggies are little sneaks. If they're getting adequate floortime, you shouldn't have to worry about exercise.

Nelli

Cavy Slave
I use to have food upstairs and downstairs but now I only have food upstairs. I was hoping that by placing the food upstairs they would have the entire bottom level to run around and play. I find poopies on the bottom level so I know they go down there. I'm just not sure how often. They do not get as much floor time as they use to on weekdays because of my schedule but on the weekends they 're out for 3-4 hours per day.

Slave to the Wheek

Cavy Slave
Sounds to me like you kids are running all over exploring and munching and pooping like they should!

I have 4 boars. They poop everywhere. In fact, if they poop in one place it worries me, means they've been sitting around on one spot too long and they are bored or sick. I actually like poop all over, because it's less stinky than in a big pile and I know my babies are exploring and getting out in the cage.

I do know that some people, very very few, can potty train their pigs. I can only remember one or two people who've done it though. Unless your really into it though, I wouldn't worry about it. Piggy poo is so easy to clean up.

Nelli

Cavy Slave
I didn't look at it that way. Thanks a bunch.

bettykiddospigs

Cavy Slave
I have my hay loft on an upper level and food downstairs so then they have both. try putting hay downstairs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.