Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Can't tell if my pig has mites or not

Butterscotch2

Cavy Slave
I was checking Butterscotch a couple of days ago and I noticed something on her bottom. They look like flakes of skin, but I am not sure if that's what they are or if they are mites. She scratch's alot, but there are no scabs or bleeding or anything like that. She is eating just fine, too. How do I determine if they are mites or flakes of skin? Would it be okay if I gave her a product off of (broken link removed) called Lice n easy even if she didn't have mites? Here is what I am wanting to get: Gorgeous Guineas - Lice 'n' Easy Shampoo: 20ml Trial Size Any help is apperciated, thanks!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Re: Can't tell

You need to go ahead and treat for mites if your pig is scratching a lot. Don't use that shampoo though. You need either ivermectin, advantage or revolution. See Guinea Lynx :: Mange Mites for more info.

Mites are microscopic so you won't see them on your pig.

Butterscotch2

Cavy Slave
Thanks. But would I be right in guessing the small brown spots on her bottom are flakes of skin?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Possible. But it could be other things as well.

If your pig is scratching a lot that means it possibly has mites and needs to be treated now rather than later.

Slave to the Wheek

Cavy Slave
If you could take a nice clear picture and post it, that would help a lot. If you haven't found a 'cavy savvy' vet yet, this would be the time to find one and introduce your piggy to them.

Mites are nothing to mess with and are a pain to treat once they get out of control. You'll want to resolve this as soon as you can.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.