Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Any reason to spay 2 females?

snickersthepig

Cavy Slave
If I were to find a bonded pair of females I would be overjoyed. If I only had 2 girls, would there be any reason to spay? I have heard in rabbits that uterine cancer is often developed if left un-spayed. Is this the same in cavies? Also is the surgery dangerous? Thanks for your help.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
No it isn't necassary to spay your females. In fact its suggested not to. Its very invasive. I don't beleive that uterine cancer can even happen in a guinea pig. So to answer your question, no.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
sorry to double post: I meant that the uterine cancer CAN'T happen in guinea pigs. haha

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Sows can get reproductive cancer.

Depending on who you ask about their opinion on routine spaying, you'd get different answers. Spaying is much more invasive than neutering.

I wouldn't do it unless you have a really good vet and your sow is showing reproductive issues.

The rates are not as high as in rabbits.

snickersthepig

Cavy Slave
Alright, thank you, I want long lived, happy piggies, and I want to make sure to check up on everything I can before a pig even sets foot in the house.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.