Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Advice on Ovarian Cysts

V+Pigs

Cavy Slave
hello

My 3+ year old pig has ovarian cysts on both her ovaries. She is going in for surgury soon and I am nervous because i know surgury is not a sure thing and I am really worried. If anyone could lend some advice about what i could do to prepare her and give her a better chance, that would be wounderful.

thank you so much,

frightened parent

V+Pigs

Cavy Slave
thanks very much :)

shypaw

Cavy Slave
I wish you and your piggie the best of luck V! How did you find out she had these? This is scary.

V+Pigs

Cavy Slave
Thanks very much. As for the signs, I did notice her nipples were crusted when I took her in from a neighbor and that she seemed larger, but I had no idea. She began to lose hair on her sides and I thought it was lice. Last week I noticed that it looked like her heart was pounding hard. So I took her to the vet, she diagnosed her and we awaiting surgury. I am really scared, and my parents a not at all supportive which make things worse. I do not think they could understand my attacment to a animal.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
The best thing you can do is make sure you have a competent vet. The surgery is very risky especially if the cysts have grown to be large and only an experienced surgeon can get the job done correctly.

Guinea lynx has a great post-op care page if you haven't seen it already.

One of my females underwent a spay for ovarian cysts and she came out just fine if it helps to relax you a little :) Best of luck!

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
I've went through the same thing with our little Ruby. I sure feel what you're going through...I was scared to death!

Here is the thread for her cysts and surgery: (broken link removed)

Here is another thread about ovarian cysts. I'm sure clotho wouldn't mind my offering this to help a piggy with the same problem. She helped Ruby through her surgery and is now her "Auntie Clotho"!: Cookie's Ovarian Cysts

I hope these threads are some help to you. I sure wish your little girl the best.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.