Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bite Mark? & Dry Skin (Maybe)

relay

Cavy Slave
My piggie Emmit has what looks like a bite mark on his side, about an inch behind his ear. He lives with his brother so I have a feeling it's a bite from him. I just wanted to make sure that it can't be like a skin thing or something. There's only that one mark too. The boys do have the tendency to disagree sometimes :D You know boys. If any one has any suggestions they would be welcome.

Since I'm starting a post I thought I might get in two questions. I think my other piggie, Elmo might have dry skin. His coat isn't as shiny and nice as his brothers and it just seams a little dull. He's still soft and all but is there anything I can give him? I know you can give horses and dogs oil but piggies are totally different as we all know. Maybe it's just me or maybe Emmit has a very nice coat and Elmo has an average coat. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

banjosnotbombs

Cavy Slave
Have you ever treated them for skin parasites? If you're concerned a trip to the vet wont do any harm.
Check out this website, and their articles on skin and hair.
Guinea Lynx :: What's Normal?

You can't give them oil, but you can give antiparasitics if there is an issue, or even as a preventative. If you're inexperienced though, it's not advised to administer it on your own.

relay

Cavy Slave
No, it's not parasites or mites. I read all the info. Thanks for the link. I've had the pigs for about 5 months now and they don't have any hair loss and they don't chew on them selves. I think Elmo might have bitten Emmit. I'm actully going to go check on the scab right now. I didn't put anything on it due to the mixed feelings of neosporin. I plan on taking the piggies to the vet for a check-up and so the vet can meet them. As far as I know they have never been to the vet. They're only six months old but I'd like to get them weighed officially and have the vet meet them so she knows what they're like when they're not sick. Thanks for the help!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Adolescent males tend to squabble. How big is your cage?

It won't hurt to treat for mites. It can make them irritable and cause dry skin. If left untreated, it will cause hair loss and sores in extreme cases.

relay

Cavy Slave
It's 2x3 ( I know small) With a 1x1 square off of it with a 1x2 deck. It's big enough if you add up all the square footage but I know you're not supposed to count decks. This is the cage: https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/data/2/medium/cage20.jpg

Sorry about the bad image. It was bad lighting. Their food is now on the top in the loft area and they have a few less things in the cage. They can run laps (through a tunnel and a bunk bed I might add) I wanted to keep the sides open so they could run laps. They don't really fight. I think they more disagree or get on each others nerves. They play with each other too which is very cute. They play tag :D

Also how long can the harbor the mites before they become active. I've had them for 5 months and they haven't come into contact with anything that could give them mites. And it's only Emmit, not both.

banjosnotbombs

Cavy Slave
Hmm.. if I were you, I would get rid of the upper level, and make your cage a 3x3. It's probably the space issue thats bringing the aggression, especially as they're getting older. I've never had boars, but from what I've read I think they should live in at least a 2x4.
If the wound is just a simple bite mark, not parasites related, and as long as it's healing and he isn't showing signs of poor health, it should heal on it's own. Giving extra vitamin C will help with healing.
Since they haven't seen the vet, you still might want to go. You can get the antiparasitic in case, and meet your vet. I know for some of us, it can be a bit tricky to find a cavy savvy vet, so it's best to find the perfect vet before you have any serious health concerns.(sorry if you already know your vet, just a friendly tip though :) )

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Mites live on the pigs. They are dormant until stress or illness bring them out and then they can become active.

You may have squabbling adolescents on your hands like others have mentioned. If it's a bite mark you can put the tiniest amount of neosporin on the wound or get some betadine and use a very diluted betadine solution on the wound to clean it and keep it from getting infected.

I also want to mention that symbols used to represent smilies like :D and :) ) and any others are not allowed on the forum.

relay

Cavy Slave
Thanks :D I do know the vet. I had a piggie before these two. That was my problem before. I never brought my other piggie to the vet when he was in good health. He had a lot of health issues (pet store piggie) I basically did everything wrong with my first pig. I did love him to pieces though. I can't make it a 3x3 due to my parents :( That's why I built up. I do have a plan though. I'm working on them. I'd like to put a whole other 2x3 as a second level to the right of the cage, build off the existing loft. They would have double the space. Shift the whole thing over and then use the bottom of the 2nd 2x3 as storage. It would fit perfectly but as I mentioned, still working on the parents. The piggie were getting oxbow vitamin C but I ran out about a week ago. I can only find them at the vets and the vet is an hour away. So when I go I'm planning on buying more. I also have to get more food, they're on yucky walmart pellets at the moment. They get their veggies in the morning though which makes them super happy. They don't really eat the pellets any way. Thanks for all you help!

relay

Cavy Slave
Sorry Ly. I thought they were? They used to show up as real smiles. I'll keep that in mind. Sorry again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.