Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Agar agar

• Thread starter guineapigluver1
  • Start date

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I found this out when reading Super Baby Food: Absolutely everything you should know about feeding your baby and toddler from strating solid foods to age three years
(quoted form the book)
Did you ever notice the gelatinous goop that pools around chicken parts? That jelly contains the same ingredient in animal gelatin, which is made from the connective substance in bones, hoofs, ligaments, cartilage, and tendons of animals. Gelatin is a substance which dissolves in hot water and solidifies in cold. We all have eaten or have at least seen Jell-O gelatin-a dessert made from animal gelatin, artificial colors. and other ingredients. Agar agar, also called "kanten", is a gelling substance made from seaweed (red algea). Unlike gelatin, it is not made from animal products and therefore is favored by vegetarians. Agar can be found at your natural foods store and comes granulated or flaked. Substitute 1-2 tablespoons (depedning on the brand) of agar flakes for each tablespoon of gelatin envelope of gelatin called for in your favorite recipes, or follow the directions on the package. Granulated agar is more "dense" and you need less of it; substitute 1/2-1 tablespoon of granulated agar for each tablespoon of gelatin. One tablespoon of flakes or 1/2 tablespoon granules will gel one cup of liquid. See more about using agar agar in Basic vegetarian Gelatin recipe on page 351.

I found a recipe for making marshmellows, so I asked my mom if we can get agar agar and make our own marshmellows, and jello (you can make it with flavoring and agar.

iluvmypigclover

Cavy Slave
Yes, I've tried agar agar before.

Unfortunatly, I find that it doesn't provide the same texture as gelatin, so I just cut all gelatinous (sp?) products out from my diet. Also, I find that it has a slightly 'oceany' taste, seeing as it's seewead.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.