Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Shoe help? Please!

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
I haven't bought shoes (besides flip fops) in a very,very long time. I live in my rubber flip fops and haven't thought about what I would do when I needed tennis shoes. Stupid stupid me I'm vegetarian and will NOT wear leather. No ifs ands or buts about it.

We are leaving for vaction sunday and I went to look for shoes. EVERYTHING has leather. I don't know what to do. Im looking at tons of Vegan shoes online but what the heck am I going to do if I order them and they don't fit? Im pretty much screwed if I can't find some. We are going to Disney and I can't wear my flip flops. I mean, I could, but I wouldn't be allowed on half the rides.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
When we went to Disney the only shoes I would wear were either my flipflops or crocs. I can't think of one time where I wore tennis shoes. Have you thought of wearing crocs? You can buy fake crocs at walmart, target, and such for pretty cheap. I bought a pair at target for 7 dollars on sale normally a 10 dollar pair. They last about as long as real ones too and are just as comfy.Hope this helps some.

rxqueen

Cavy Slave
You are looking for tennis shoes? What about New Balance? They make a TON of shoes that have no leather. And they are pretty easy to find in stores.

gooberific

Cavy Slave
what about canvas-type shoes from payless?

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys. I think I am going to pick up a pair of crocs.. I managed to find an old pair of tennis shoes in my closet that are "man made materials".

The canvas shoes at payless all have leather in the bottom or sides. -sigh-

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Canvas shoes are everywhere. I have canvas slip on shoes, boat shoes and high tops from payless. I have "pleather" (fake leather) boots, heels and mary janes from local stores. I also have several pairs of Asian "slippers". They are canvas and look like Mary Janes.

When I was in Disney almost everyone was wearing Crocs. Personally I think they are ugly as sin and should be restricted to yardwork but to each their own. I also saw a lot of flip flops.

Whatever you decide to do make certain your shoes are comfy. You will be doing A LOT of walking and standing. You may want to invest in some gel inserts. They make a huge difference.

Biscuit

Cavy Slave
Water trail shoes can be found at sports stores, especially REI. Most of those are vegan, and a little less fugly than crocs.

gooberific

Cavy Slave
So, Wicked... CA or FL? Driving, or flying? :D

I agree that crocs are 'fugly' as Biscuit put it lol! Personally, I can't even get my fat feet into them (mine are wide from side to side as well as top to bottom, so I have a really hard time finding shoes -- so I also live in flip-flops). However, they work really well for kids who can't quite get their regular shoes on themselves yet!

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Whatever you decide to do make certain your shoes are comfy. You will be doing A LOT of walking and standing. You may want to invest in some gel inserts. They make a huge difference.

Oh yeah, I know. We have been there TONS of times before and honestly, no matter what you do, your feet are going to hurt at least a bit. Ill stop by after work today, if I can, and get some inserts. Im bringing my flip fops too, they are very comfy and I might end up giving up with the tennis shoes.

We are going to Florida and Flying there for the first time. We usually drive, but with all the animals waiting for us at home (and the boarding costs) its less expensive to fly. I swear, I better not be pulled out of line because of my black and purple hair. lmao

gooberific

Cavy Slave
That'd be harassment in the happiest place on earth. Who would do that?! lol
I prefer Disneyland in CA, honestly, and I've been both places four times. Yeah, yeah, everything is bigger in FL, but... you still can't top the original in my book. Plus it doesn't have the train going through the tunnel that shows you dinosaurs and the grand canyon.

I got pulled up in D-land when I was a kid to dance on stage, and performed there later on when I was in high school (on the same stage, I almost cried).

One of the last times I was in FL I had no-back open-toed sandals on, and they let me on all the rides still. Maybe because they had a buckle, or because no one was paying attention. I wore the same sandals at Universal and did big coasters.

Edit: HAVE FUN! Get pictures of Goofy, Alice and Cinderella for me. :D

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Haha, I meant in line to get on the plane. Not such a happy place, im afraid. Loads of pics, no worries. :)

gpigluver14

Cavy Slave
I see you already got your shoes, but here's a great thread (and lots of vegan shoes) from a vegetarian forum.

Hope you enjoy your trip and the weather is good over there. When we went, we spent the majority of the time walking around in Mickey ponchos! It rained almost everyday we were there.

gooberific

Cavy Slave
Haha, I meant in line to get on the plane. Not such a happy place, im afraid. Loads of pics, no worries. :)

Oh. In that case...

I haven't worked for the TSA (airport screeners) in over a year due to developing my disability; however, at that time, we required ALL shoes to be x-rayed. We could not, though, say require. Because basically, if you chose to wear your shoes through, you would just go through additional screening and get the full treatment, which I'm sorry to say that some people are just RUDE when they do it. I miss the job because I like to think I made a difference in the way people viewed screening -- I have a heavy customer service background.

Edit.
I just realized you meant about your hair. Hi. I'm licking windows today (and I just woke up by my two year old pulling me out of bed, first by my feet).

So, um, yeah. The airlines use a government-based computer algorithm to generate "random" tickets, as well as using a set of variables that makes a ticket "selected" for extra screening. Depending on which airline, you'll see SSSS or a bunch of ****** on your ticket, and you'll know.

As far as picking people out for random, I don't know of anyone who did because of hair color. But are you hot? Cuz that'll do it for the guys to pick ya! lol

Last edited:

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Thats good to know. If we have a ticket like that Ill make sure to give it to my grandfather. aha.

gooberific

Cavy Slave
Thats good to know. If we have a ticket like that Ill make sure to give it to my grandfather. aha.

Whomever's name is on the golden ticket gets the Super Special Selective Screening!

lol But I've never been singled out for my hair, and it's been 25 colors at once before. :D Have fun!

cinnyminny

Cavy Slave
does anyone know if there is a synthetic leather version of the ever-popular UGG(ly) boots? and if there is, does wearing something that is synthetic leather but looks like real leather still put out the message to other people that its ok to wear leather?

rxqueen

Cavy Slave
Try this site, it's great:

(broken link removed)

That's the page for their vegan boots, and it looks like there are a fiew.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.