Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neem Oil for lice? Kinda long sorry:(

Dee Dee S

Cavy Slave
Last Saturday we rescued a 8wk old guinea pig that we named Mollee, today when I had her out, I noticed black pinhead sized clumps on her fur (did not notice them before and I made sure to do a good check of her when we brought her home, and introduced and then later caged her with her new buddy Piggy, another female that is the same age). She is not itching and shows no signs of distress but I believe it is lice, and could it have possible come from the corncob bedding I recently purchased to put in their cage-I checked the bedding and see nothing? Our other two guinea pigs, Gyngeer (who has the corncob bedding) and Peppy (who does not) are also not showing any signs. Piggy is occasionally itching, but no more then normal, and I do not see these clumps on her anywhere. The problem is 1) I do not have an good exotic vet in my area, the closest one was my dogs vet, and the clinic almost killed him so there is NO way I am taking my poor guinea pigs there, and 2) I prefer only natural remedies and holistic medicine (especially now after my experiences with traditional veterinary care). So my question is could I use Neem oil or a bird lice and mite killer instead of Ivermectin or does someone know of something else I could use? Thanks in advance!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Corncob bedding is really no good. You shouldn't use it at all. Get aspen or carefresh, or kiln dried pine.

The bird stuff is toxic and pretty useless too. Neem oil doesn't kill parasites.

You'd need to get Advantage or topical ivermectin.

If I were you, I'd just buy the topical ivermectin and dose all your pigs. It would take care of mites and lice. Your pigs likely have both.

Here Guinea Lynx :: Parasites and Guinea Lynx :: Antiparasitics

Last edited:

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Oh next time you want to quarantine any new pigs for 3 weeks to prevent spreading illnesses and parasites like this: Guinea Lynx :: Quarantine

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You don't want any sprays like that.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You'd need to get Advantage or topical ivermectin.

If I were you, I'd just buy the topical ivermectin and dose all your pigs. It would take care of mites and lice. Your pigs likely have both.
Ditto, these are the only medications that are save enough to treat lice and mites. There is also revolution. Read the links that rabbitsncavyluv gave you in post #2. Forget about the sprays, none of them are safe for cavies.

Dee Dee S

Cavy Slave
Re: I got Ivermectin pour on-double checking

I went out today and got the Ivermectin pour-on, and I want to double check this with you guys before I do it and make sure I don't screw something up. I am very nervous. I weight my little piggies on the digital scale, then I go to this link: Guinea Lynx -- Topical Ivermectin Treatment correlate between the correct weight and the dose (example, if one of my piggies weigh .34 kilos they would get a dose of .034cc), draw that up into the syringe, and then put that amount behind the ears and on the rump. I do this again on July 9 and again on July 19.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Yep, but I'd put it just in the spots behind the ears. It will absorb into the bloodstream and take care of the mites. Also you can do it today then do it again one week from today and then two weeks from today instead of July 9th and 19th if you'd like. Also make sure you have a 1cc syringe.

Dee Dee S

Cavy Slave
Ok I treated all of my guinea pigs and cleaned the cages, and it has been roughly 8hrs and everyone seems to be doing great so I did good ;) but how long does it take before I will start to notice a decrease of them on Mollee and is it normal for the piggies to lose their hair at the application site? I tried to find more information on this but I seem to be turning up a blank.

gooberific

Cavy Slave
All piggies have 'bald spots' behind their ears -- is that what you're seeing? Or is it more than that?

Dee Dee S

Cavy Slave
Yep-I just checked all of the guinea pigs and it is in the exact same spot so it is just me being a worry wart;)

gooberific

Cavy Slave
That's okay. I didn't realize it until I compared my two piggies and came here to look it up. :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.