Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Where to get scale and Ivermectin Questions

alm_nin

Cavy Slave
Where would I find a scale to weigh my guinea pigs at? Do any of the big chain stores have them (Walmart, Target, Meijer, etc.)? About how much would one be, and in what department of the store usually?
I need to get one because I guess I should be weighing them weekly anyway according to Guinealynx, and also because I need to treat them for possible mites or lice. I'm hoping that if I have their weights the vet can just prescribe the Ivermectin without me having to take them all in for an exam. From everything I've read, it seems like topical Ivermectin at .5 mg/kg is the best treatment for mites and/or lice, is this correct? How many treatments are recommended? Do I need to bleach the cage or anything special with cleaning?

gooberific

Cavy Slave
I can answer your kitchen scale question.

In the housewares/small appliances section like where you would find a toaster. Wal-Mart has them online for $19.88 and up, not sure about in-store stocking of those items.

Target has "analog" type ones with a bowl and it works sort of like a postage scale starting at 9.99, but if you want something a little easier (as those use springs and piggies bounce/move), they have digital models starting at $24.99 and have many more colors and options than Wal-Mart. Just do a search on chain store's sites for "kitchen scale"! :D

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Wal-Mart carries some digital scales for about $30. Other places will have them too in their kitchen section. Postal scales are good for pigs too. You want something digital that weighs in both pounds/ounces and grams/kilograms.

You will need at least 3 treatments spaced about a week apart. Severe cases of mites often need more treatments. You will treat all pigs at the same time. Mites can't survive without a living host, but a good thorough cage cleaning with vinegar/water (50/50 mixture) will help disinfect things. Vinegar is a disinfectant and natural antibacterial agent.

alm_nin

Cavy Slave
Revolution vs. Ivermectin

I called my vet today, and she recommended using Revolution for the possible mites/lice instead of Ivermectin, is this just as effective? I think she said .1 ml per pig and repeat in two weeks (I haven't picked up the meds yet, I'm just trying to remember what she said on the phone) does that sound about right?

PigObsessed

Cavy Slave
I got two new guinea pigs yesterday. I have two already. The new pigs were in a cage with another which had hair loss and sores. I was told he was bitten and separated. I didn't get that one but upon reading up on it I think it was mange mites. My two new ones are scratching a bit more than normal.

I definitely want to treat them for the mange mites, so I too would like to know what the dosage is for the pigs per kg. I am going to phone the guy who I got them from as well for the sake of the really bad looking pig.

I'll let you know if I find out because I have been researching and found SO many different answers. I haven't heard of revolution though.

Definitely let us know how you get on though.

gooberific

Cavy Slave
PigObsessed:

These links should help you.
Guinea Lynx :: Parasites
Guinea Lynx :: Medications

Information about all types of parasites can be found on the first page, and links to specific medications on the second, including Ivermectin and Revolution (all in nice alphabetic order).

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave

k9yorkie

Cavy Slave
I have five guinea pigs (all living together). One of them started scratching really bad two weeks ago. Since then, she started losing a lot of hair. I took her to the vet yesterday and she said they probably have mites (aquired from the hay they eat) The vet gave me Ivermectin in liquid form to treat all the guinea pigs since they live together. Since dosage is based on the weight, you are right in wanted to get a scale. The vet only needed to see one of my piggies since they are all a similar weight and get the same dose. I would recommend contacting a vet who specializes in small animals to determine the correct dosage if you are unsure. I was glad that I didn't have to bring all five piggies to the vet's office. That could have been expensive. The vet sugested that I give them the Ivermectin once every two weeks for a total of 4 treatments. They took it orally and drank it right out of the syringe. I was suprised how well they took it!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
k9yorkie, you will really need to give the ivermectin every 7-10 days instead of every 2 weeks. It's more effective and will kill off any eggs sooner.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
I took her to the vet yesterday and she said they probably have mites (aquired from the hay they eat)
Mites live dormant under the skin at all times. Factors such as stress, humidity, illness, etc. can cause the mites to become active.

We treat for mites once, or twice, a year. We always have to treat in the spring when the weather gets humid. All of the pigs start an itch-fest!

We use the topical Ivermectin pour-on for 3-5 treatments (until the itching stops). Info here: Topical Ivermectin.

We get it at our local TSC (Tractor Supply Company). It's also available at Jeffers Livestock online. It's very simple to use straight out of the bottle. No needle needed to draw from the bottle (just a 1cc syringe), and no painful injections for the piggy. Just a drop, or two, rubbed in behind the ear.

We found a good postage scale on eBay for weighing the babies. We paid a lot less for it than we could find a new one for. We've been using it for 5 years now!

alm_nin

Cavy Slave
Wheek Weak - So are you saying that no matter what, all guinea pigs will always have mites and they are just dormant when there are no symptoms? Sorry, I'm just kind of confused now. If this is the case, what is the point of treating and quarantining a new pig if as soon as it is introduced to the rest, it could be stressed out and the mites become active and spread to the rest of the pigs? Wouldn't Ivermectin or Revolution kill off all of the mites on them, whether they were dormant or not?

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
From the Guinealynx page on mange mites:

In a healthy animal, the mite may be dormant for months or years, becoming a problem in a pregnant cavy or one subject to illness or stress. The most serious infestations occur in the young and ill older animals subject to stress and poor environmental conditions, usually on the trunk. The response in healthy animals is less severe, perhaps due to grooming or suppressed immune response (Harkness and Wagner).

The Sellnick mite, (Trixacarus caviae (a burrowing sarcoptid mite) is a member of the arachnid family. Transmission occurs primarily through direct contact with infested animals although eggs can be carried to them inadvertently. Mites will seldom leave the host unless brushed onto the bedding or as a result of overpopulation or the death of the host. With no host, they will usually die within 3 weeks. However the eggs, which are laid in burrows in the skin, may survive independently for long periods of time.

We always treat new rescues while they are in their quarantine period.

We have never had a problem with mites becoming active again upon intros. We do, however, have to treat the entire herd when humidity causes all of the pigs to start scratching.

alm_nin

Cavy Slave
So Revolution or Ivermectin won't kill the dormant mites?

Also, I was reading on GuineaLynx about a mite called Cheyletiella parasitivorax that can spread to dogs and cats and is more difficult to get out of the environment. The information said that these are larger mites, so if my guinea pigs had these would I be able to see them? Would my dogs and cats be safe from them since they are on Frontline, or does Frontline not kill them?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
All mites are microscopic and none will be visable to the naked eye.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.