Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Pig with Potty Problems-Need Help!

SuzetteK17

Cavy Slave
I have had my two female guinea pigs for about a month now and one of them constantly has watery poop. When I got her she had a little bit of a big belly but after a week or so it was so much bigger that I thought she was pregnant. I took her to the vet and he said she wasn't but that maybe she eats too much. He told me not to feed her pellets anymore. So I fed them only timothy hay and once in a while alfalfa hay. But she still has a bloated belly and has especially watery poop when I feed her vegetables. The weird thing is that my other guinea pig has no such problems no matter what I feed her. She is also growing (in body size) much faster and she feels very solid and healthy. But my pig with potty problems feels very skinny even though she eats constantly. Other than that though she seems perfectly healthy; she's active, chirps a lot, etc. I'm wondering if she could have worms or if all of this is due to her diet. I'd really appreciate any advice because I want to help make my piggie healthy!!

calymo

Cavy Slave
Try taking her to another vet for a different opinion. A different vet may better understand your pig's symptoms and be able to help you treat it. Vets, like regular doctors, may not always be right so it never hurts to get a second opinion or so.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Cut way down on the veggies and increase the hay for a couple days and see if this helps the problem.

What veggies are you feeding and can you give me amounts too please.

SuzetteK17

Cavy Slave
I was giving about half a leaf of romaine lettuce to each of my guinea pigs each day, but I stopped when I realized her poop was really watery. I have been giving about 1/2 cup parsley to them lately. But even when I'm not feeding her veggies she has watery poop. I give them veggies because I know they get Vitamin C from it and they won't eat the chewable vit C tablets.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
Have you been able to find another vet for a second opinion? It could be an intestinal bacteria.

Try posting on GuineaLynx. They're excellent for medical advice. They don't replace a good cavy saavy vet, but they may be able to give you an idea of what the problem may be.

Were you feeding a half a cup of parsley per day? Parsley is a 2-4 times per week food. Print off this chart to use daily for feeding a good, well-balanced diet: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...cavys-diet-read-me-nutrition-charts-info.html.

The total intake, per pig, should be 1/2-to-1 cup of a variety of fresh veggies twice per day.

Good luck with your little one. I hope you can find out what the problem is so she can get better real soon. Keep us updated.

SuzetteK17

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your advice and that link, it's so helpful! I registered on GuineaLynx and posted the question-hopefully they'll have some advice. If I don't get help from there then I'll take her to a different vet. Thank you for your help and concern!

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
SuzetteK17-
How's your little girl doing? Were you able to find anything out on GL, or from a different vet?

I've been thinking about her. I hope she's over her problem and has normal potties now!

SuzetteK17

Cavy Slave
I took her to a vet that has experience with guinea pigs. She did a fecal and didn't find anything wrong, but she gave me Flagyl and TMS to give her since she's bloated. I gave her Flagyl 2x daily for 5 days and the TMS 2x daily for 18 days. (I'm on day 7 I believe.) Her poop was getting normal while she was on the Flagyl but I've noticed (after two days of being off it) she's starting to have diarrhea again. So I called a breeder who I got two guinea pigs from when I was about 14. She said it sounds like she has a digestive track inflammation which is fatal. She told me some things to do that would give her electrolytes she's losing. She also told me about the troubles about buying guinea pigs from pet shops. I'm really hoping what she told me to do will help, otherwise I may have to take her back to the store. :weepy:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
She told me some things to do that would give her electrolytes she's losing.
What things did she tell you to do? Often breeders go by old school advice and if it's the wrong thing, she'll end up worse than she is now. If you post what she told you to do, we can tell you if it's good or bad or make recommendations on other things to do.

SuzetteK17

Cavy Slave
She told me to give a couple cc's of pedialyte (a drink for babies to help with diarrhea) a few times a day and to also take a couple of my healthy guinea pig's droppings, smash it up, and mix it with the formula to give her. She said since she has diarrhea she's losing nutrients she needs and is dehydrated and doing this should help replenish her stomach flora. The sad thing is, this is most likely hereditary since she's been like this from the start which means nothing may help and she may die.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Pedialyte and poo is a good idea. I was hoping that was the advice.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.