Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Need Advice

lmracing8l

Cavy Slave
Hi,

A couple of weeks ago, one of my boys Jeff was scratching and itching, what I thought to be too much so I took him to the vet because I thought it might be mites or lice, etc. The vet said it could be mites or allergies. She gave him a shot of Ivermectin and a something to help with the itching. He did not have any hair loss or anything at the time only scabs from itching and digging. Now 2 weeks later he has hair loss. I thought maybe fungal, but I checked GL on fungus and his skin doesn't look anything like it. I cannot see anything on his skin, he is eating, running around, popcorning, giving me holy heck for holding my other boys when I hold them first. I called the vet yesterday, but the earliest I could get in is July 2. I am worried about him with the hair loss, but I keep thinking he is still eating and such so he should be ok until then. Any suggestions, opinions, thoughts? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Getting only one treatment of Ivec will not cure mites. The pig would need 1-3 more treatments every 7-10 days in order to get rid of the mites. That is likely the problem. Please go back to the vet, seek out a different vet or properly treat the pig yourself.

lmracing8l

Cavy Slave
Voodoo, I took your advice and my boys have an appt today at a different vet. I will keep you posted as to how I make out. I am taking all 3.

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
Ask about treating them topically this time so they don't have to be poked.

lmracing8l

Cavy Slave
Well, we made out good at the Dr's yesterday. I liked the vet, she was very informative and knowledgable (sp) everything she was telling me was what I have read on GL. She gave me a pamphlet on mites and yes that is what they have. She said she would do a scraping if I wanted to, but she was sure that's what they have. She also said they don't give Ivec orally because their saliva breaks down the medicine and it doesn't work. It is basically dissolved by the time it passes through the mouth. The only thing was she didn't suggest any topical so they had to get poked, but I took carrots and let them snack on them so they were a little occupied. It helped a little, I still felt bad they had to get poked. But, atleast they are on their way to getting better. They have another appt in 10 days. She also said I have to clean their bedding every day, wash it and clean their piggie palace with a mixture of bleach and water to kill the bad mites. The only thing the jury is out on is that she told me the reason they fight is because they are not neutered ( I have to keep all 3 seperated, they draw blood). I know I have read on here some say yes, and some say no. I am not sure.

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
Neutering them wont help with the fighting.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.