Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

grass@hay??

k_ann91

Cavy Slave
hei,in here,it's very,very hard to get hay.So do u think it's wise to replace hay with dried grass that i get from my garden?The grass is not spray with any kind of pesticide at all.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
I don't know about the grass, but could you perhaps order it from Oxbow or Kleenama?

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Have you looked at feed stores, Walmart, chain stores, horse/farm animal stores...

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
Grass is good to give to the pigs, I just dont think it could replace hay.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Grass wouldn't wear there teeth down or help there digestive tracks too much. It's fine to give the pigs, but I don't believe it should take the place of hay.

k_ann91

Cavy Slave
DocDolittle said:
Grass wouldn't wear there teeth down or help there digestive tracks too much. It's fine to give the pigs, but I don't believe it should take the place of hay.
very well then,I think I won't be replacing hay wif grass.
my guinea pigs will not have any hay until I get to a place that sells hay coz my very last bale of hay had finish.

TinaFabulous
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
TinaFabulous

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
It's okay, we all get a little worked up some time. There, there. But really, without hay a guinea pig's health is in danger. it provides necessary fiber, vitamins, etc. All of the healthy stuff needed. Grass is good to give to guinea pigs(untreated of course), but it should not take the place of hay.:)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
K-ann91 you really need to use proper grammer and punctuation when posting. I had a very hard time reading and understanding your posts.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
I think she's from Malaysia, so it's very probable that English isn't her first language.

Anyway, K-ann91 can't you just go back to the place you got that last bale from?

k_ann91

Cavy Slave
ok,I'm still young,I can't drive.So,my parents don't like the idea of driving me 3 hours to some other place to get hay.Furthermore,my parents don't really favour pets.so what can I do?Take a cab?If I take a cab.There won't be any more money left to get hay.
By the way,I just found a place that sells alfafa hay.I don't know that whether alfafa it's good for a pig or not.

TinaFabulous

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
How old are your pigs?

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
DocDolittle said:
Not true. Grass does an even better job than hay in wearing down their teeth. Grass and hay both have the necessary silica that wears down the teeth. Most people supplement with fresh grass since it's often easier to buy a bale of hay for their pigs.

After all, hay is just dried grass, isn't it? I don't think it's necessarily bad at all to actually replace hay with grass. I also believe that Malaysia is tropical so there's grass year-round (like here in South Florida). Just make sure the grass is fresh and untreated, and also free from other animals (no animals pooping or peeing in it).

k_ann91

Cavy Slave
hei,I notice that these two user

1)docdolitle
2)tinafabulous

is particular rude and sort of like trying to act 'expert' when actually they're just noob. Everything that they know is from other sources like internet.They don't really know anything about pigs without the internet.
I think they seriously need to 'open' up their eyes,to realize that this country,Malaysia is seriously different from other country.If you think that the way I treat my pig is bad,then u should come here and look at some other people.I think they don't even provide their pig with vegetables.I've ask a few shops about guinea pigs diet,and guess what they say? 'Guinea pig can't eat vegetables'.Don't even try to shout back at me that I shouldn't ask pet shop owners.We don't have guinea pigs rescue or shelter here.The only rescue that we have is SPCA which only tend to dogs and cats.
Adminstrator,if you want to ban me for this,I would ask you to go ahead with it because I'm very tire of all this 'kiasu' people around here.[if u people are so clever,figure out what's kiasu your own]And I won't be visiting this forum anymore anyway.
Go get a life,pathetic snob{S}.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I thought that because hay was long, thats why its good for the digestive system. Grass is much shorter so it wouldn't work as well.

k_ann91, you said yourself that you were young. You should respect people who are older than you and not call them pathetic, and listen to what they have to say.

TinaFabulous

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
If hay is grass, wouldn't that mean that it would be possible to give long grass?

But like Tina says, if you can't get to the hay can you have it delivered?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Well, does grass even grow that long?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.