PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to Disinfect your cage?

endzie
12-23-04, 02:26 am
I am curious what people use to disinfect their cages?

I wanted to use a less harsh solution rather than Bleach.. I heard you can use vinegar? If so what is the mixture?

Also how often do you disinfect the cage?

Once a week too frequent?

DocDolittle
12-23-04, 11:27 am
1/2 water, 1/2 vinegar in a spray bottle. I would do it at least every two cage cleanings. I normally disinfect the cage everytime I clean it. It only takes an extra five to ten minutes.

endzie
12-23-04, 11:44 am
1/2 water, 1/2 vinegar in a spray bottle. I would do it at least every two cage cleanings. I normally disinfect the cage everytime I clean it. It only takes an extra five to ten minutes.
Any specific kind of vinegar? or will any kind do?

loves2travel
12-23-04, 01:05 pm
just regular old vinegar, not sushi vingegar or anything like that, just the norm stuff. I use this mixture too and I think it works great. There is a bit of a strong smell from the vinegar directly after cleaning, but it always clears up withing an hour or two.

I would do this every time.

endzie
12-23-04, 01:21 pm
just regular old vinegar, not sushi vingegar or anything like that, just the norm stuff. I use this mixture too and I think it works great. There is a bit of a strong smell from the vinegar directly after cleaning, but it always clears up withing an hour or two.

I would do this every time.
Thanks a lot for the tip!!

TinaFabulous
12-23-04, 04:27 pm
I use vinegar/water in a spray bottle too. Just make sure you have paper towels on hand, you can use them to help rub off anything stuck to the bottom of the cage, and also they are nice to have around to dry off the bottom after spraying.

Starbucks
12-23-04, 09:15 pm
Any specific kind of vinegar? or will any kind do?
white vinegar only.

endzie
12-24-04, 03:09 am
white vinegar only.
Thanks for the clarification. Now once this stuff dries.. Does it smell like vinegar?

TinaFabulous
12-24-04, 09:41 am
no not after it dries. You might be able to somewhat smell after, but it's not bad.

Himino
12-24-04, 05:24 pm
white vinegar only.
why only white vinegar, what about apple vinegar?