PDA

View Full Version : Caging/Bunny PROBLEM!

Bunnyluva09
06-22-08, 08:49 am
Ok, I decided to rescue this adorable male 8 month old mini lop from the pet store. He has been there for several months, and know one is going to buy him because he isn't a baby. I had already made a cage for my other 2 baby girls. So I am going to have 3 rabbits. I am getting him neutered next week and he will be fine. The problem is the baby girls have a different diet ( pellets and alfalfa) than him ( veggies&fruits, pellets, timothy hay). Wouldn't the babies try to eat the veggies, and wouldn't the older one eat the alfalfa? I am making a travel/ extra cage, because I am taking them to my aunts next week, and it is 3L 2W 3 or 2T. I was thinking of turning that into his cage, because he is almost like a free range rabbit, because he has the whole living room, the girls would have the larger cage. There names are Midnight, Magic, and Twilight. Do you think that is a good plan? Please help, I do not know what to do. Oh and after the babies are on the same diet and are spayed I am planning on putting all in the VERY large cage, L4 2W 3T and it has 4 floors. I need to know by Tuesday!:)

Silverbeat
06-22-08, 06:56 pm
Are your girls spayed? The boy will need to be isolated from them for at least 4 weeks if they are and 6-8 weeks if they aren't. Are you talking in cubes or feet for your measurements? A minimum cage size is four times as long as the length of the rabbit at full stretch, two times as wide as the length of the rabbit at full stretch and as high as the rabbit is tall.
Rabbits will eat whatever they can get, so until their diets are the same you should keep them apart.

Bunnyluva09
06-25-08, 09:14 am
I am buying my bunny in 2 days. We are keeping him in his C&C cage. I have never had a rabbit, so he will be my starter house rabbit. This july i might get my 2 babies, but I will have to move them in my room, or in the basement. So yah thanks!

Silverbeat
06-25-08, 09:17 am
Wait why are you buying a rabbit? Are there no adoptable rabbits in your area? I'd bet my life that there are.

Bunnyluva09
06-25-08, 09:43 am
I looked from march-may for adoptable rabbits and there are none. I cannot drive out of ohio. Actually i want a mini lop, and there are none of those.

wickedrodent
06-25-08, 10:02 am
I searched for you and found quite a few rabbits for adoption in ohio:

1 yr. holland lop (http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/pet/684171365.html)
Free Rabbit with Cage (http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/pet/721749070.html)
bunnies need homes (http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/pet/690327845.html)
Dutch Rabbit (http://athensohio.craigslist.org/pet/686197558.html)
Floppy Ear Rabbit (http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pet/725535385.html)

Mini lops:
mini lop rabbit (http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/grd/676316467.html)
Mini Lop (http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pet/721113202.html)
Mini Lop (http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pet/721113202.html)
2 rabbits (http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pet/712219156.html)

SPAYED mini lop:
mini lop (spayed) (http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pet/700140104.html)

Silverbeat
06-25-08, 10:30 am
There are also TWO House Rabbit Society rescues in Ohio if you like a little more security than craigslist.
ohiOHrs: homepage (http://www.ohare.org/)
Columbus House Rabbit Society (http://www.columbusrabbit.org/)

Also,
http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/kitchen/25334-what-rescuing-adopting.html

Bunnyluva09
06-25-08, 12:18 pm
I can't drive that far to the house rabbit societys. I am also not that interested in those rabbits, only the 1st one. He has been in the pet store for months, and if no one buys him, they are going to set him loose, or give him to a place like petsmart, or put him in a humane society. I don't wan that happening to him :( I really wanted to adopt a baby black mini lop bunny, but i cannot be that specific because there is no where in ohio, at a shelter with a baby girl mini lop rabbit.

rabbitsncavyluv
06-26-08, 12:38 am
You are not rescuing when you buy from a pet store. You just put money in their pocket and opened a space for them to fill his cage with baby bunnies from a breeder or pet mill.

Why did you have to have a lop? And if you did, why not just wait til one popped up in a shelter? Or did you even ask HRS if they could do a transport? Or meet you halfway?

Usually rescues are desperate for homes so they will work with you.

Jennicat
06-26-08, 04:26 am
So if you can't commit to driving that far, how are you going to commit to providing care for this rabbit that you absolutely have to have? Are you going to be able to afford to spay or neuter this rabbit? (Remember, pet stores very rarely sex rabbits correctly). What about if there are babies?

If they give him to the Humane Society, I don't see the problem with that because then you can adopt him, and not put money in the pocket of people who are abusing animals for profit.

Bunnyluva09
06-26-08, 07:07 am
i'm sorry just leave me alone, i am doing this but later i am adopting a friend for my lop.

crazywiggy
06-26-08, 10:37 am
I just want to say one thing about your buying a rabbit, then I will drop it.

I love hairy piggies, particularly abbys. And I love tri-colour piggies best of all. I happen to think short haired pink eyed whites are... well...ugly!

I now have two piggies - both short haired PEWs! They won't win any beauty contests, and yes I would have prefered some nice hairy coloured pigs (from a aesthetic point of view). But when I was ready to adopt, the two most needy were my girls - unwanted, they only had a little time left to find a home or they would have been put to sleep. I honestly could not look those piggies in the face then let them die just because they were not pretty enough. Now I have them, their appearence doesn't matter to me - as indeed it shouldn't. I still love them and do the best I can for them. Being ugly doesn't mean I enjoy them any less.

So, I can understand why you want a certain type of rabbit - but do you honestly believe that it is worth letting another rabbit die, and perpetuation back-yard breeding and overpopulation - purely for good looks?

Anyway, what I actually wanted to talk about what caging....

I'm can't picture the large cage you describe

L4 2W 3T and it has 4 floors

Are these 4 complete floors, or shelves/ lofts? If complete floors be warned that a single grid is not tall enough for a rabbit. At least a good part of their cage would need at least 2 grids of open height so that they can stand up fully on their hind legs.

I'm also not sure if you mean they will be house rabbits (i.e. free range) or not. If they will all be free range, and only caged for short periods or overnight then this sized cage might be okay.
If they are going to spend most of their time in the cage though, it is not very large at all. My 2 piggies have a 2.5 x 4, and it seems small to me - no way would I keep a single rabbit in there, let alone three! If you intend to cage all three together then you should probably be considering a 3x6 at the very smallest.

As for feeding, I would just keep them all separate for the time being.
Your girls should be on the same food as the older rabbit by 6 months old, so not too far off. In the meantime you can worry about getting the male neutered and making sure you have a big enough cage etc. This way, it also means the girls will be a bit bigger and better able to cope with what may be a larger and more boisterous buck!

I am a bit confused though... I understand you are planning to get your pet store male. Do you already have 2 baby girls or are these what you are hoping to get in the future?

Bunnyluva09
06-26-08, 04:01 pm
ok, yeterday i called the pet store store manager. He is the one that has all the kinds of small animals. I was talking to the fish guy before. He said it was a male, 8 months old. I called the manager and he said it was a female and it was PREGNANT! I went there today to look for evidence ( a nest, belly fur pulled out, feeling for kits) and they had her in the back. He said the father was a the mini rex that was albino. So the babies are kinda gonna look different. He said that she was only about 5 months. He said it was actually very high that it would be a false pregnancy. He let us feel for kits, and he let me feel one, but it was on her left , so when i was going home in the car, i forgot to tell him it might be her liver. I am going to check back in a week, and he said she has already been pregnant for about 1-2 weeks. I will check on her, then a week later if she doesn't have a nest or any more kits ( it will be the 4th week) or anything else, I will take her. She might even have kits, but oh well, i can take better care for them than a pet store can. I have already found homes for 2-3 of them besides me becuase i will probably keep 2. And people I know you are going to say that they will probably end up in a shelter, but if she is going to have babies, i can't stop that. It is not like the pet store can find homes for them, and like you guys said it just gives them more space to let babies come in, and they get $. And just to tell you it DEFINATLY isn't a place like PetSmart or those massive breeding facilites, this place is a family owned pet store. They are sometimes not always cared for perfectly, but there is actually no way you can take care of all those animals properly. I really trust this guy and he knows how to pick up rabbits and everything so just stop making comments.

rabbitsncavyluv
06-26-08, 05:37 pm
You can stop it by having her spayed.

Mom and pop pet shops are often worse than the big chains if not as bad as. They sell animals, period.

If he is missexing rabbits and sending them out unneutered, and breeding them in shop, that doesn't make him an expert.

crazywiggy
06-27-08, 01:05 am
So, they are incapable of sexing rabbits. They allow one to "accidentally" get pregnant. They don't even communicate with eachother, so you get told false info because nobody knows what is going on. And you are still defending them?

And just to tell you it DEFINATLY isn't a place like PetSmart or those massive breeding facilites, this place is a family owned pet store

No, they may not themselves be a Petsmart or a mass breeding facility. But what are the alternatives...

a) They are breeding the rabbits themselves. These people, who do not give them proper care and can't even sex them correctly are breeding???

b) They are buying animals from the same suppliers as the big chain stores - i.e. the mass breeding facilities. Pet stores don't usually visit the breeders to see the animals - they just order them and get them delivered.

c) They are buying from local people - i.e. irresponsible people with "accidental" litters, or back yard breeders who breed unhealthy, mistreated animals for profit.

I'm sorry - but being a family owned store doesn't make them good, responsible, caring or anything else.

They are sometimes not always cared for perfectly, but there is actually no way you can take care of all those animals properly.

I honestly can NOT believe you have just said this!!!
So it is okay that they CHOOSE to buy in MORE animals, and breed more animals, when they can not even take care of the animals they already have???
Failure to give proper care is neglect - some would say abuse. These people are doing this deliberately.

If they can not care for them properly they should not have them!

(This is on top of the fact that they shouldn't be breeding and selling animals anyway)

It is not like the pet store can find homes for them, and like you guys said it just gives them more space to let babies come in, and they get $.

I think you are missing the point - any time you take even a single animal from a pet store you are allowing and encouraging them to get more in to replace it. Whether that rabbit is male or female, pregnant or not, if you buy her the store will order in at least one more rabbit to replace it. That means another rabbit in crap conditions, forced to have another litter. That means maybe an extra 4 or 5 babies born into an already full world. That means maybe 4-5 bunnies KILLED because they are not enough homes.

And if they can not find homes for them why the hell are they buying and breeding them??? That is not just cruel and inconsiderate - it is downright stupid!

And please consider my previous post about caging. If you take on a pregnant rabbit what happens if you can't find homes for the litter? A 2x4 cage is barely big enough for a single rabbit (it certainly doesn't meet the minimum cage size suggested by the RSPCA) let alone more. Can you afford to get every single one of those rabbits neutered?

Bunnyluva09
07-03-08, 06:51 pm
Hey you know what you guys? My rabbit isn't pregnant and it was a false pregnancy. There are no babies, OK! I am picking her up tommorrow and I PROMISE all of you that I WILL adopt a rabbit for her. I love animals, and they mean the whole world to me ( I have 2 finches, a budgie, 1 cat, 1 hamster, 2 goldfish, petsittting a chameleon, and a bunny). I take care of all my pets fine and well, and I have plenty of time to bond and care for each one of them. This Pet store does not buy from the same place as PetSmart, they buy from a rabbitry. They do not ship there animals. I love animals and I agree, that it is NOT OKAY to buy more animals when you can't take care of the ones you already have. And all you people talking about my cage, screw you. This is the biggest rabbit cage, bigger than what you have. It is 4 GRIDS long, 2 GRIDS deep, and 3 GRIDS high! I has a 1x2 jump and a 4x2 upper level and a 1x2 loft! It also has the bottom floor which is 4x2. I have rabbit-proofed my living room and she will be able to have about 3 hours a day of exercise by herself, about 2 hours outside in her 9x6 and time to spend with me and watch t.v.

Oh yah, this store can correctly sex an animal, I was just talking to the fish guy.

crazywiggy
07-04-08, 03:46 am
Bunnyluva - I don't know why you are getting so angry and offensive. People here are trying to educate you yes but also to help you.

We can't stop you buying a pet store bunny and supporting / funding animal abuse, overpopulation and death. But you should at least be aware of the facts - and know what you are doing.

This Pet store does not buy from the same place as PetSmart, they buy from a rabbitry.

You do know what a rabbitry is right? It is place that breeds rabbits. It doesn't have to be nice, or responsible, or caring, just breed rabbits.

As a child my first rabbit came from a local breeder - a "rabbitry". Each rabbit was singly housed (except mums with litters) in a 3 foot hutch.The hutches were all crammed into this shed three high. These rabbits never saw proper daylight, never came out to play, never ate veggies or got cuddled... They just lived in a tiny box and bred until they died.

The point is - when buying through a pet store you do not know the conditions of the breeders facility, so you could be supporting abuse. And since responsible / caring breeders only ever sell direct to new homes, the only ones who supply the pet stores are the uncaring / irresponsible ones.

And all you people talking about my cage, screw you.

You commented in your first post you have a "very large cage". It isn't. I'm the one who mentioned the cage, so I am the one you have just deliberately and childishly insulted.

If you want to give your pets the proper environment and provide for their needs, then your cage is not big enough for 3 rabbits. Personally I would not keep a single rabbit in a 2x4 cage.

This is the biggest rabbit cage, bigger than what you have.

My guinea pig cage holds only 2 piggies, yet has more floor space than your cage (2x5).
I assume that in most of the cage the rabbits have more than one grid height to stand up in? If so then that's good.

However, the minimum sized cage for 3 guinea pigs is 10.5 sq feet (or a 2x4). Recomended is a 2x5. Rabbits are much bigger and more active than guinea pigs, so require more space.
The RSPCA gives a minimum cage size (for one rabbit) as 2x6x2 feet - that is 12 sq feet of floor space. And this is with access to a run as well!

Your 2x4 cage is only 10.5. It is not big enough even for one rabbit according to the RSPCA.
It is barely big enough for three piggies according to this site - let alone three rabbits.

Incidentally, be warned that whilst rabbits are social animals they do tend to like their own space more than piggies do. Where I work we at one point had female bunnies in pairs in a cage about that size - and we still had problems with them squabbling. No way could we have fitted a buck in there as well - there simply isn't enough space for them all.

Anyway, please stop being so aggressive and rude. We care about animals - that is why we wanted to stop you buying a pet store bunny. I wanted you to realise a 2x4x3 cage is not big enough to house three rabbits because that is the truth. If you care about animals then please at least consider what we are telling you. I'm sure you do care about and look after your pets - great! And well done for saying you will adopt your future rabbits. But please don't the hump with me just for telling you the facts straight.

Bunnyluva09
07-04-08, 09:14 am
OK YOU KNOW WHAT I GUESS I AM SORRY WHATEVER. I AM GETTING 1 RABBIT OKAY! I JUST COUNTED AND SHE HAS 18+ SQ FEET OF SPACE! THE UPPER LEVEL IS AS BIG AS THE BOTTOM BUT IT HAS A 12"X12" HOLE TO JUMP INTO. SHE CAN COME OUT TO PLAY WHEN EVER SHE WANTS AND PLAYS OUTSIDE IN HER PEN WITH MY SUPERVISION. SHE IS ONLY 5 MONTHS. THE GRIDS ARE 14" SO MY CAGE IS ALMOST 5 FEET LONG, 3 FEET TALL AND ALMOST 3 FEET DEEP! SO PLEASE STOP SAYING THAT IT IS TOO SMALL. I WILL TRY TO TAKE A PICTURE OF IT TODAY. MOST PEOPLE HAVE A 3X2X3 CAGE AND THEY WORK FINE. YOU GUYS ARE CRAZY, EVEROONES ELSES CAGE ON HERE( GO TO PHOTOGALLERY) ARE USUALLY 2X3X3. MINE IS 4X2X3 AND HAS AN 4X2 UPPER LEVEL AS BIG AS THE FLOOR. I AM SORRY I AM BUYING FROM A PET STORE, PLEASE DON'T THINK I AM TRYING TO BE MEAN TO ANIMALS OR THAT I HATE THEM OR ANYTHING, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T. i LOVE ANIMALS AND I SPEND MOST OF MY DAY CARING AND BEING WITH THEM. I HAVE 2 FINCHES, A BUDGIE, A HAMSTER, A CAT, PETSITTING A CHAMELEON AND A BUNNY. PLEASE I AM SORRY BUT PLEASE DON'T THINK THAT AND MY CAGE IS VERY LARGE FOR A RABBIT THAT HAS A RABBIT-PROOFED LVING ROOM TO HERSELF, PLUS EXERCISE OUTSIDE AND SOMETIMES ON HER SAFE COMFORTABLE AND PROTECTIVE RABBIT HARNESS. SO PLEASE EVERYONE I AM SORRY I AM PICKING MY RABBIT UP IN ABOUT 3 HOURS AND I AM SORRY AND I DON'T WANT CRUELTY TO ANIMALS BUT I JUST WANT THIS BUNNY, OK AND NO BUNNIES SHOULD DIE AT A SHELTER, PEOPLE SHOULD ADOPT OR RESCUE FROM A SHELTER BEFORE THEY DECIDE TO BUY FROM A BREEDER OR PET STORE. PET STORES SHOULD NOT BUY MORE ANIMALS IF THEY CANNOT TAKE CARE OF THE ONES THEY ALREADY HAVE. SHE IS A VERY LUCKY BUNNY WITH A VERY LARGE CAGE AND RABBIT-PROOFED HOME AND GETS A WONDERFUL DIET, TOYS, PLAYHOUSES, AND A LOVING, SO PLEASE STOP CRITIZING ME AND I AM JUST SORRY FOR BUYING FROM A PET STORE, AND JUST TO TELL YOU I GET EVERYONES POINT ABOUT BUYING FROM PET STORES, SO I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER ANIMAL FROM THERE AGAIN ( PROBABLY) OK!

rabbitsncavyluv
07-04-08, 03:07 pm
You just don't get it, do you.

Bunnyluva09
07-04-08, 04:39 pm
what is there too get, i can't resist it i am sorry

rabbitsncavyluv
07-04-08, 05:29 pm
You only repeated everything we told you but it obviously didn't sink in if you are still buying a purpose bred rabbit while shelter rabbits die. And say you
"probably" won't do it again at the end to boot.

Have you already set a vet appointment for the rabbit? And scheduled a spay?

Pet store animals are often sold sick. And their breeder may be just as bad if not worse than the one Petsmart uses. No reputable breeders sell to pet stores.

Djakarta
07-04-08, 06:24 pm
If you purchase a rabbit from a pet store, you make room for them to order more inventory. So basically, the pet store commissions another animal to be breed from the rabbitry. This contributes to animal over-population.

And the next time a rabbit at a local humane society's time is up, that rabbit will be euthanized.

If, instead, you adopt from the humane society - that animal's life will be saved.

Or if you adopt through a rescue, like the Buckeye House Rabbit Society, a bunny like BooBoo ( a gorgeous 3 pound minilop):

ohiOHrs: NEEDSaHOME: booboo (http://www.ohare.org/need/booboo.htm#intro)

ohiOHrs: NEEDSaHOME: booboo (http://www.ohare.org/need/booboo_plus.htm)

then an opening is created in a foster home. So, when the next bunny at a local shelter is "red listed" ( marked for euthanization) the HRS can save that bunny and bring it into the opening that was created when you adopted.

So what you don't get is that adopting from a shelter or a rescue saves lives.

Sometimes, it takes time and effort to find exactly what you are looking for from a rescue or a shelter. Is it worth your time and effort to save a life?

crazywiggy
07-05-08, 08:46 am
bunnyluva - I think there has been some confusion about your cage... it would definitely help to have a photo to look at!

To explain - I worked it out like this...
Each grid is 14 inches. A 2x4 is therefore 28x56 inches.
This gives a floor space of 1568 sq inches (or about 10.9 sq feet) - which is less than the RSPCAs recommended minimum. Of course, having extra levels is nice and a rabbit is probably more likely to use them than piggies would.

With plenty of floor time this may be fine for a rabbit. I personally wouldn't keep a rabbit in a cage that size but that's just me.... I wouldn't keep two piggies in a 2x3 either!

Incidentally, the reason many of the cages in the gallery are 2x3 is because they house guinea pigs. Guinea pigs are considerably smaller than rabbits - a rabbit laying down is two to three times the length of a guinea pig - and bunnies are more active / take bigger steps etc. Don't take it personally - every time rabbit caging has been discussed I have said I do not believe this size to be adequate, it's not just you!

Finally - if the cage is only for the one rabbit then you will probably do fine. But there is no way it would fit three. As long as you are aware of this and don't try to cram two more rabbits inside it won't be a problem.

SkinnyPiggys
07-08-08, 02:19 pm
Please take a look at the following sites:

House Rabbit Society Rabbit Care Guide (http://www.rabbit.org/)

Morfz.com (http://www.morfz.com/)
(rabbit refs)

Bunnyluva09
07-09-08, 12:42 pm
Yes, finally someone got the cage size almost correct. The first floor, is 28" by 56" which is about 2x5 feet which is aproxmately 10 sq feet. The top layer is the exact same thing and is 56" by 28" which is about 2x5 feet with a 12" by 12" hole so she can jump up there. She stays up there and runs and hops around alot more than the bottom because there is more space because there are foodbowls and a storage cube bunkbed. She uses the top floor for the same purpose as the floor space on the bottom. The top floor is about 9 feet because it would be 10ft if there wasn't a hole. So ya that gives her 19sq ft of space plus an extra 3 sq ft of space on the jump level. She also comes out of her cage for 3 hrs in the morning and and about 2 hours at night. She also comes out for grooming time and bonding time. She also has an outdoor pen, and she jumps around and does binkies while I supervise her at all times.

AnimalHouse36
07-09-08, 12:49 pm
I am picking her up tommorrow and I PROMISE all of you that I WILL adopt a rabbit for her.

If your going to adopt a rabbit then why bother supporting a petstore? Buying from a petstore only supports what rescues are trying to stop. By knowingly doing this, you fight agaisnt the rescue your going to adopt from.

rabbitsncavyluv
07-09-08, 08:26 pm
Adopting one doesn't really cancel out you supporting a pet mill and pet stores. You could have adopted and saved two lives in the first place.

Bunnyluva09
07-10-08, 09:35 am
now you are making me feel like a terrible person

Jennicat
07-10-08, 09:39 am
What type of responses did you expect when you came to a forum that was pro-rescue, and anti-petstore, to announce that you really wanted this pet store rabbit and were going to buy it, and poo poo on what everybody else thinks?

rabbitsncavyluv
07-10-08, 09:08 pm
I'm sorry. Did you want hugs and kisses for buying a purpose bred rabbit instead of adopting when we all told you why you shouldn't? When you should have known better?

I see you're having problems with her already. I hope you aren't going to dump her in a few months like most pet store rabbits purchased on a whim.

Silverbeat
07-11-08, 09:51 am
Actually from what I have seen the "problems" she's having are either a) very easy to solve or b) not problems, just normal rabbit behaviour.

By the way, she did know better, if you'll look earlier in this thread we were pointing out why she should adopt, adoptable rabbits in her area, etc long before she bought the rabbit.

rabbitsncavyluv
07-11-08, 01:00 pm
Yeah, it is normal rabbit behavior but most people don't expect it and get fed up when the baby bunny is a grown up teenager and suddenly not so cute.

lmarieaa
07-12-08, 12:27 am
When i was looking to adopt a second guinea pig, i wanted a certain color and a specific coat type. I waited 4 months to find a rescue organization that had the female piggy i really wanted, and it was four months or everyday of internet searching and phone calling. Of course, i could have just drove 15 minutes over to the Petco, and found exactly what i wanted, and brought her home, but i did not do that. I wanted to save a life of a homeless piggy, and that is what i did. even if it took me 4 long months of constant searching- I did it. It is the people who do not have the patience and the kindness to save a life. The "gotta have the cute fluffy critter RIGHT NOW" people are the lifeblood of the Petcos, Petsmarts, and all of the shady mom and pop shops that kill animals everyday.

Bunnyluva09
07-17-08, 09:10 am
SHE IS NOT A PROBLEM AND I AM NOT GOING TO DUMP HER! She is wonderful to have, and we having a vet checkup and spay July 22nd. I was kind of sick of waiting since March for a bunny, so I gave up on looking for some in shelters. Till I found the on at the pet store, i didn't know anything about it. Now, I do. I cannot wait till I adopt my boy rabbit, and i will save their lives, and volunteer at the rabbit rescue. Just live with it. I can't do anything now about it. I personally don't think it was that bad of a descion. I know you guys are going to disagree, but if I didn't buy this rabbit, she would of been dead. I know you are going to say that I supported a pet store, when I could of adopted but seriously would you want a rabbit at a pet store dying from not being cared for properly? Would you want ANY rabbit to die from that no matter where they come from? If you were that rabbit, you would want to go to that shelter where they give you a large cage, hay, food, and toys. At the pet store, all you have is an igloo, food, water, and some bunny friends. Why would you let rabbit from a pet store or a shelter suffer like that? All domestic rabbits need caring loving homes, and most rabbits bought from pet stores, are sold and are also sold bad supplies and usually go home in a wired-floores hutch and live outside and wait their life to be forgotten. No rabbit should be treated this way, no matter where they come from. THey can't help it if they are taken from their mom to come to a pet store to be sold, they all think that they are going to be sold to a loving caretaker. But no, they end in a hutch and live a terrible life. How could you resist if you have been waiting almost 5 months for your perfect rabbit, and she was right there in front of you, waiting for you to take her home. How could you not buy her? Huh? I really don't care any more and if anyone else replies negetively I will hate you all, even though you are trying to help me.

aNiMaLsAmArItAn
07-17-08, 09:42 am
I definitely feel for you, bunnyluva, but why would you want to hate us all even if we were trying to help? *Sigh*

Bunnyluva09
07-18-08, 10:15 am
because you just won't leave me alone about it! Geez. I bought the bunny and I killed one at a shelter, i feel terrible now leave it alone ok!

Bunnyluva09
07-22-08, 12:24 pm
Really stop

Bunnyluva09
07-22-08, 12:25 pm
and what can I do about it now? I am not a very patient person, and I waited 5 months, and found the perfect one at a store, oh well.

Jennicat
07-22-08, 12:29 pm
There is nothing you can do about it now. You made a selfish and unfortunately choice and probably funded the suffering of another rabbit. You get to know all that.

Bunnyluva09
07-23-08, 02:17 pm
ok I get it

leyley904
09-24-09, 12:36 pm
i think your fine with buying a rabbit from a pet store.
this is my opinion. if you buy from a pet store, any pet store, wether your putting money in the store's pocket or not, your saving the animal. you can agree or not, it wont change my opinion. eventually pet stores are going to change becuase of all the petitioners and animal cruelty fines and so forth. the rabbit does have a better chance of being healthy since it was family owned. its great that you want to take her and some of her kits. i dont know how big your rabbit is. but my rabbit loves her cage whcih is about the size of yours. and she doesnt even get as much free range time. shes absolutly perfectly happy. and i know that for a fact. it makes me mad when people try to say your a bad person for SAVING a bunny from those horid places. your doing a good thing. im not saying it isnt good to adopt from a shelter/rescue. that is also wonderful, maybe better. but just becuase that is better doesnt make what your doing a bad choice. and eveyone has their own opinions about bunny looks. if i were getting a bunny to keep for 10 plus years, i would want to think it was cute. its your rabbit, so you should pick it. its a big choice. and its great that you know this rabbit well. so get your rabbit(s) and ignore people who think your doing a bad thing!

and i know you already got this rabbit, considering how old the post is, but i just saw this and wanted to add my opinion, maybe it will make you feel better :)

Jennicat
09-24-09, 12:37 pm
You're probably on the wrong site, leyley, this site is strongly against pet store purchases. We are not willing to fund abuse for the sake of convenience.

Wodentoad
09-24-09, 01:42 pm
Dang, I just realized how old this post set was. I will make my original post, because it needs to be said to Bunnyluva and others who MUST HAVE certain pets.

"I just want this bunny!"

And "I have this, that, this, that, this, that animal and I WANT MORE!"

Forgive me, but I am a grown woman with a house and a son. My pets are my financial responsibility, and my house is my own. When I was young--never mind how old--I had mice, because I wanted them. I did not know how to care for them from Adam. I was a child, and I did not care for them well. As an adult, I have a zoo of animals myself, in my house. I have all the room I need for my pigs, because I can choose to put them in the living room, and I do not get animals to which I am allergic which allows them room.

I have a rescued dog with special needs (medication, twice daily).
One bought (before we knew better) and two rescued cavies.
Two rescued cockatiels.
Two frogs (bought) who are low maintenance.
A beta. His name is Fishy. That is all.

Each has recommended room or better, best diet that we can offer, and vet care if and when necessary, and this can get expensive. Even now I have to rush out to buy more pellet.

I would LOVE a hamster. LOVE LOVE LOVE! But I know that it is beyond my capacity to care for hamsters properly. One, I have not done enough research, two, I already have a menagerie at home, three, I have a membership to my local zoo to cure my urge to get more pets. There's a limit before it becomes a problem, and as defensive as you are, screaming in a block of pretty well unreadable text that you MUST have this particular very specific pet, I fear you may have reached yours. Please do the grown up and responsible thing, the thing I do, every time I walk out of a pet store without a hamster, and realize your limitations. Love the animals that you have. When they cross the rainbow bridge, then consider letting new ones into your life.

When I got my dog, I wanted a big black dog. I wanted a water dog! I wanted a snuggly mutt. What did I get? I got an 11mo pure bread golden retriever from the local rescue. His previous family bought the AKC pup from a mill, cutest thing ever. But puppies grow up into dogs, and so they tossed him aside. They NEEDED a puppy, and when he was one no longer, he got thrown out in the back yard, neglected, abused, unsocialized. We took him in, trained him, treated his medical condition, and give him great amounts of love. Now he is a sweet, friendly, darling of a dog. You'd never know him from our rescue.

Please do the grown up thing and recognize your limits.

Paula
09-24-09, 01:54 pm
People please pay attention to the dates on these things you choose to reply to. The last post on this thread before today's was over A YEAR AGO. It's likely that the OP isn't even still around and could care less what your opinion might be. Don't drag things up without good reason.

i think your fine with buying a rabbit from a pet store.
this is my opinion. if you buy from a pet store, any pet store, wether your putting money in the store's pocket or not, your saving the animal. you can agree or not, it wont change my opinion. You might be saving an animal you buy from a pet store but what you're also doing is guaranteeing that another animal (or two) ends up in his place, to face the same conditions and cruelties that animal faced. That is not the case when you adopt and that is the reason that we are pro-adoption, anti-breeder.

i dont know how big your rabbit is. but my rabbit loves her cage whcih is about the size of yours. and she doesnt even get as much free range time. shes absolutly perfectly happy. and i know that for a fact. Is this the same rabbit you're referring to in this (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/rabbits/48017-smaller-indoor-cage-vs-bigger-outdoor-cage.html) thread? If so, why are you fretting over getting her a bigger cage if you know for a "fact" that she's perfectly happy? And if not, why can't you make a cage that's appropriate for this other bunny that you "saved"?

it makes me mad when people try to say your a bad person for SAVING a bunny from those horid places. your doing a good thing. im not saying it isnt good to adopt from a shelter/rescue. that is also wonderful, maybe better. but just becuase that is better doesnt make what your doing a bad choice. There is a vast distinction between being a bad person and making a bad decision. It is indeed a bad choice to buy from a breeder or pet store because doing so only perpetuates a cruel cycle of abuse - that same cycle you're able to feel so good about getting a pet store animal out of.