PDA

View Full Version : coughing...hairballs?

lmarieaa
06-22-08, 01:51 am
I have a female piggy with a cough. I have had her about and month and a half. At first, i would only hear a cough or two every few days. Now i hear it several times a day. She has a very thick teddy bear coat, and tends to shed a lot. I do not know whether it could be hairballs, or something more serious. Her previous owners had recent vet records proving her good heath, so I am sort of doubting that it would be an illness. If it is hairballs, is there a something that i need to be doing or giving her to help alleviate the problem?
Thank You
Lisa

Haley0489
06-22-08, 09:43 am
I've never heard of a guinea getting a hairball. I'd take her to the vet anyway, just because she was in good health a month ago doesn't mean should couldn't have contracted something since then.

krittercrazy
06-22-08, 09:54 am
How has her weight been? You should weight her daily even if she is still eating fine. How has her activity level been? What does the cough sound like? Especially since the cough has increased in frequency, you should take her to an experience cavy vet. She could have or be developing a heart condition. Check out this link Guinea Lynx :: Heart (http://www.guinealynx.info/heart.html)
You should also make a copy and take it with you to the vet.

rabbitsncavyluv
06-22-08, 01:47 pm
Ditto Kritter. They don't get hairballs.

Coughing can be a sign of uri or heart. You aren't feeding her any seeds or nuts, are you?

lmarieaa
06-22-08, 02:53 pm
I never feed nuts or seeds. My guinea pigs only get the Oxbow pellets and timothy, maybe a little piece of carrot or romaine. When i first got her, she was overwieght. Her previous owner gave me the food along with her, and she was getting "Ecotrition" or something like that, it was like half pellets and half seeds and junk. I threw it out. She has slimmed down to a normal guina pig weight, and seems to be acting healthy. I have noticed she coughs when drinking water or eating after a romping with the other buddy.

Jane_G
06-22-08, 03:13 pm
What other veggies are you feeding her? Check out the stickies at the top of this forum for ideas on what you should be feeding everyday.