PDA

View Full Version : Problems introducing?

dpc317
06-20-08, 02:46 pm
So I've had Brad for awhile and decided to get him a new buddy. Brad is 4. We went to a shelter and got "Shredder" who is one years old. Both of them are males. I took Shredder too a room Brad had never been in and let him run around and tried to get him use to me before anything else. He then went into his little box he came in that had hay and shredded paper in it. I went and got Brad and let him out. Brad immediately ran over to Shredders stash of hay and began helping himself. He's a real pig. Shredder just kind of watched him and neither cared for awhile. Then Shredder went up too Brad and started smelling him and smelling his butt and sort of mounting him. Brad wasn't too happy so he was trying to leave, but Shredder kept jumping on him and what looked like little bites on Brads back and butt. I seperated them as it felt like it was getting kind of serious.

Right now they are in the same big cage but it is divided in half between the two of them. Shredder keeps trying to push too the other side while Brad just sort of looks at him and makes a crying sound. Is all of this normal? I really feel Shredder is being really aggressive towards Brad. Both of them keep smelling each other and stuff but then it looks like Shredder is trying too bite him through the cage.

What should I do? I do have a complete separate cage I can put Shredder in. Right now Shredder is in his igloo while Brad is sleeping - with his back against the divider from Shredder.

Harrys Dad
06-20-08, 02:54 pm
First off sounds like you didn't use a neutral location for them to meet. And you didn't clean the cage out before putting them together. Other than those 2 points I don't know but I am sure someone will have an answer for you.

dpc317
06-20-08, 02:56 pm
First off sounds like you didn't use a neutral location for them to meet. And you didn't clean the cage out before putting them together. Other than those 2 points I don't know but I am sure someone will have an answer for you.

Neutral how? It was a place that neither of them have ever been in.