PDA

View Full Version : Weight?

malexis
06-19-08, 08:23 pm
As you guys read, my piggy Abi has mites. I took her to the vet to get her meds and antibiotics.

Pretty much my question is how much should a female guinea pig who is about two years old weigh?

PixieStix
06-19-08, 08:32 pm
Weight is different for every pig. Guinea Lynx :: Weigh Weekly! (http://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html)

malexis
06-19-08, 08:37 pm
okay thanks, ill check that site out

rabbitsncavyluv
06-19-08, 08:51 pm
What meds did you get?

malexis
06-19-08, 09:23 pm
They gave her a shot and i have to go back and the antibiotics tommorow because they didnt have them at the time. They said i have to give her the antibotics twice a day for a week (oraly), and if it doesnt clear up then i have to go back in two weeks.

I feel so bad for her :( she was squeeking awfully loud when he gave her the shot and did the scrape test, that it mad me cry..

Ly&Pigs
06-19-08, 11:10 pm
I'm surprised they didn't weigh her at the Vets office. Normally they do that so they know the proper dosage of medications to prescribe.

malexis
06-19-08, 11:44 pm
No they did weigh her. she weighs 2.3 pounds and he said thats pretty big so i was trying to find the proper weight and what i should do to lower it and keep her healthy.
Sorry i didnt say they weighed her earlier, that probably would have helped.. I'll make sure to include all helpful information next time.

Jane_G
06-20-08, 07:23 am
My piggy weighs 2.5 pounds and I was told that she's perfectly normal. Did the vet say what he thinks the correct weight should be?

rabbitsncavyluv
06-20-08, 08:26 am
That's actually on the lower end of normal. It isn't a good idea to 'diet' a guinea pig due to the way their digestive tracts are constantly moving. They're grazing animals.

You'd need to return and get at least two more doses of ivermectin either way. One shot won't do it.

malexis
06-20-08, 11:46 am
Oh okay thanks guys. He just said she was big, so i guess i took that as too big. I know i am going to give her the antibiotics for a week and then go back for them to check her out and probably give her another shot

Char-x
06-20-08, 11:53 am
My male pig hits the 3 marker so shes definatly not too big as in overweight, maybe he means fully matured? Is he cavy-savy ie, got experiance with exotics and pigs specially? & like others have said you definatly need another two shots, 7 days apart from each.

malexis
06-20-08, 12:25 pm
Oh okay thanks, and yes when i go to get her antibiotics today i will make sure to ask about a second shot

Wheek Weak
06-20-08, 12:30 pm
Our four pigs range from 2.2 pounds to 2.13 pounds. A lot of people tell us how "big" our pigs are too. I guess they're seeing the difference between healthy, well-fed pigs and the malnourished pet store pigs that they're used to.

malexis
06-20-08, 12:45 pm
Yeah i guess i just took it as too big and didnt think about what else he meant

gooberific
06-20-08, 01:26 pm
Both of my boys are closing in on the 2 lbs mark, and they're about 4 1/2 months old. :D They're so solid and muscle-y.

Ziggy&Herald
06-20-08, 03:09 pm
My 5 month old piggy is almost 2 pounds. My heaviest is a 3-4 year old pig I just adopted that is almost right at 4 pounds. He is very overweight. When you pick him up he is squishy.

Jane_G
06-20-08, 03:59 pm
That's actually on the lower end of normal. It isn't a good idea to 'diet' a guinea pig due to the way their digestive tracts are constantly moving. They're grazing animals.

You'd need to return and get at least two more doses of ivermectin either way. One shot won't do it.

According to Guinea Lynx, females range from 700-900 grams on average. Most weigh more than that. 2.3 pounds puts her at 1043 grams, which is not at the low end of normal.

It could be her shape also. My guinea pig is very eggplant shaped which makes her look bigger than she really is.

I hope she's feeling better soon.

PixieStix
06-20-08, 04:48 pm
According to Guinea Lynx, females range from 700-900 grams on average. Most weigh more than that. 2.3 pounds puts her at 1043 grams, which is not at the low end of normal.

Right below those numbers on GL it says that those numbers do not appear to be the normal weights, and are on the low end of an average weight.

One of my girls is around 2 lbs 10 oz, the other is a smaller pig at around 2 lbs 2-4 oz.

malexis
06-20-08, 06:20 pm
Jane_G--- I converted it into grams earlier and thats why i thought she was heavy, but i guess as long as she is eating healthy its okay right?

Jane_G
06-20-08, 07:31 pm
In my opinion, I think Guinea Lynx is stating an average as a comparison point. As the website stated, most piggies are above the stated weights, but if they are within those averages, they are still ok.

Just like people are different weights and are still considered healthy, so are piggies.

malexis
06-20-08, 07:43 pm
Okay thanks you, I just want the best for my piggy.