Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help...dog and cat destroyed cages...

bcmccall

Cavy Slave
Okay...we had our two piggies in a cc cage and our dog and cat overturned the cage twice. We then put the piggies into the cage we got from the store, just until we could figure something out so they were safe. We went for a walk tonight, came home to find the cage broken, over-turned and Snowball not moving:weepy: . Gideon had gotten away, but now we don't know what to do. We need a cage that is dog proof, she just wants to play with them. My husband was thinking of building a wood frame all around, but I am not sure if we can use just any wood. We would attach the cc panels to the frame and then attach it to the table. We DON'T want to lose our other piggie, so we are trying to come up with a good SOLID solution. Any suggestions?! We don't want to have to get rid of Gideon... we hope to come up with a solution and get him a new friend.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Did you use any zip ties to secure the grids? I have two very large cages that are multiple levels and I've used so many zip ties I'd seriously stand on the top of it and trust it to hold. If you get 50 lb zip ties and tie each grid to another grid with 3-4 ties, you'll have a very secure cage and you won't have to use wood at all.

And maybe in the future you shouldn't leave the dog and cat unattended with the guinea pig(s) anyway to make sure they stay safe.

Last edited:

bcmccall

Cavy Slave
Yes I used zip ties... I am sorry that I forgot to close the door to my sons' room, but please don't treat me like I am a careless idiot, I feel horrible about what happened and would like some help. Can we use wood in the cage or not?

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
Yes I used zip ties... I am sorry that I forgot to close the door to my sons' room, but please don't treat me like I am a careless idiot, I feel horrible about what happened and would like some help. Can we use wood in the cage or not?

Yep, wood will be fine. The only problem if the pig can get to it is urine soaking into it.

The previous poster wasn't treating you like a careless idiot. Honestly, in the my experience, you need to get used to stuff like that if you are going to post here :rolleyes: .

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
I don't think anyone has meant to treat you like a careless idiot, but you have just described your guinea pigs dying, and not one, but SEVERAL attacks on your cage by your other pets, and that's very upsetting to people.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I certainly didn't mean for my response to be taken as me treating you like a "careless idiot." I'm just saying it's probably in the best interest of the guinea pigs in the house that the dog and/or cat not be left unsupervised with them.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Maybe you could gate off that room so your dog can't get in. Or keep your dog gated in another room. Maybe even double gate, like if the room is in a hallway put a gate at the entrance to the hall, and a gate in front of the door, in addition to having an elevated, zip tied, and closed cage.

Tergale

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I have my cage up on my computer desk next to me. The desk is extra wide and I use zip ties only. The cats never seem to bother him and my dog only seems to take minor interest in him and mostly only when my mom is paying attention to Harvey and he gets jealous for attention. I just make sure to keep an eye on them if they are near each other and if I leave the room so does the other animals.

*EDIT*
Oh, also my cages base is made out of wood with a shower curtain over it so the urine can't soak into it. I built the cage with grid on top sides and bottom with the wood on the inside and it seems to have made the cage very solid.

ittybitty98577

Cavy Slave
Im sorry for your loss, I lost 3 pigs that way. My solution was get rid of the dogs and keep the pigs. But hey thats just me. I even had my pigs in my room and baby gate at the bottom of the stairs and the dog still got into the room... So if the dog wants in its getting in! If you want to use a wood frame just have the frame on the outside of the grids that way the pig cant chew, pee wont soak in. Is there a way you can have it on a table? What kind of dog do you have just curois. Mine were husky mixes GONE NOW and im never getting northern breeds again! lol now I have a rottweiler. The best dog I have ever had in my whole life!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.