Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Question about Quarantine...

alm_nin

Cavy Slave
I have a question about how you quarantine a new guinea pig. If guinea pigs can have mites without showing symptoms, if you quarantine a pig for 3 weeks and it shows no symptoms but really does have mites, won't it still pass them on to the other pigs? Is this why some people routinely treat all quarantines for mites? Also, what is the BEST way to routinely treat a quarantine pig for parasites that is not showing any symptoms? I've read that Ivermectin works great on mites but won't kill lice, so would you have to use something different to treat for lice too? Or I have read that Revolution kills both mites and lice, so if you treated with this during quarantine would that cover everything?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Topical ivermectin does kill both mites and lice. It doesn't hurt the pig if they don't have them.

Usually things like URI or other illnesses show up within that timeframe. It's a precaution.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.